Quick Suggestions COAL and Charcoal

Started by Jstank, August 01, 2016, 09:02:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jstank

Wood + furnace = Charcoal. Charcoal is more fuel efficient than wood

Coal = Mine out of the ground has highest fuel efficiency.

Reason: Because starting as a tribe in a desert = very little wood.
The road to hell is paved with good intentions.

- Bernard of Clairvaux

SteelRodent

The presence of coal would also make much more sense when making kevlar armor etc, since kevlar is made from carbon fibre, which is made from coal. Right now it takes a ridiculous amount of steel to make the kevlar stuff, far more steel to make a helmet than to make a solar panel for instance, which makes no sense.

Pax_Empyrean

There is entirely too much stuff that requires steel. It's even in our rodents now!

Then again, it takes Components to make body armor. As in, just a kevlar vest. Because those need electronics in Rimworld, evidently.

asanbr

I would love to see coal as a storable fuel that doesn't degrade (wood does when stored outside).

But producing coal would only make sense if you have an abundance of wood already. If you don't (tribals in a desert), it wouldn't make sense to use wood to produce coal just for fuel. You can't increase the energy content by burning some of the wood into coal. It would be more like spending 100 wood to produce 50 coal, which then has the same fuel use as 75 wood. So it might be more storage/hauling efficient and not need refueling as often.

Havan_IronOak

There are mods that add both coal and charcoal to the game. I think if you search on industry you'll find it. I know it's included in the hardcore SK modpack