Over/Under Switch, Heavy Duty Power Cable and One Way Cable

Started by Silvador, March 08, 2015, 07:27:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silvador

With the addition of switches, I've started trying to isolate segments of my colony's power grid in an attempt to reduce the risk of highly destructive explosions caused by power surges. I've taken to building an entire structure exclusively for twelve to sixteen batteries, all set individually from one another and connected to a... sizable array of switches with which I can more directly control power flow. Using this method, I can have solar panels and wind turbines connected into the back of the batteries and the colony connected to the front, with fully charged batteries disconnected from the solar panels and wind turbines, and powering the colony, while said turbines and solar panels charge other batteries that are disconnected from the colony. Using the switch array and primary power lines running around the border of my colony, I can channel a limited amount of power into each section of the colony thereby reducing the risk of larger explosions.

However, as my planning has become more complex, I've realised that sometimes this isn't so easily done as some wires may need to cross other wires, especially in the switch array. So, I had the idea of a switch that could be researched and then built, that would allow the flow of power to pass through it but not connect to the flow it is crossing, effectively creating an over/under pass, like a bridge over a river. This could allow for more streamlined and complex power grid management.

Additionally, I would also like to suggest "Heavy Duty" power cables, likely that would also require research, and more materials and work time. These would be cables intended for connecting directly into large groups of solar panels and wind turbines and be capable of handling high amounts of power passing through them with either reduced chance of a power surge, or reduced effect of high discharge explosions. The research, extra materials and work time would be an offset so hopefully discourage simply lining the whole colony with them. Perhaps even include the usage of Plasteel in the list of required materials?

Another thought, smaller and more convenient but less game breaking, "one way" power cables. When you place two power cords next to each other in your house, or lay down piping with power cords in them outside, the power doesn't connect to those other cords. It would save on room if a power cable could be added that simply restricted the flow of power to the desired direction, so that we could place separate power cables next to each other without them connecting to each other. This could in turn tie in with the over/under switch which would possibly have a toggle, allowing us to dictate whether power flows in all directions, separately but both ways, or only one way.

Monkfish

Going by a few comments I've read on here, power load isn't a thing (at the moment); You could connect your entire base to your batteries/power supplies through a single conduit and not have any increased risk of assplosions compared to running multiple parallel conduits.

Though I do like your ideas and it'd be nice to have some more depth to the power system. I assume that's coming in time, eh Tynan? :P
<insert witty signature here>