Boredom/Entertainment Need Bar

Started by Workload, November 14, 2013, 08:10:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Workload

Boredom:

Was thinking about this makes sense to need entertainment objects. Make it go down slower then sleep and food. Things like chatting/fighting/crafting/Art craft/cooking maybe research could slow this rate a little. Mining/hauling/etc would raise this. If the bored need is to low they will get a    â€"unhappy stat. Some debuffs to work speed. Other buffs like winning or losing a game. Beat personal record, it wouldn't keep track but just be a rare buff that happens. 
But for this to work there would need to be entertainment items made.

-  TV        just where would these channels coming from though.  <-- This one is not possible I think.
-  Ping Pong table 
-  Taking a walk and checking out the surroundings
-  Holo deck       For  this would take a floor tile called holo tile and 1 holo console anywhere in the room, bigger the room bigger the effect
-  Could chat with someone else needing less Boredom too
-  Game console
-  Pinball Machine 
-  Beating up prisoners  / This probable would give them fear but still entertainment 

Added from others

-  Dice
-  Cards
-  Chess/checkers (boardgames in general)
-  Sketchbook

If no entertainment bar is made, when will your colonists know to use these, other then if there idle.
Can't mix it into happiness, because if there unhappy they would go use a entertainment item and be happy again. Making it so you can never lose them.       

I can’t think of anything else atm Please let me know if you have any ideas

Think about it if he adds water there will be a water need for your people.

Calistyn

I dunno if there's plans to include other needs/wants, but I've thought about this a couple of times myself, though I think it'd make more sense to occur after a some time spent building up the colony rather than immediately, since survival is generally more important. Maybe the 'New Colony Optimism' would cover entertainment in the beginning?

For things that would be entertaining I like to think of little things they could do.

-  Dice
-  Cards
-  Sketchbook

The nice thing about the above is that your workers could be carrying them, and when they need a break from working just sit where they are and play, so you wouldn't be losing time as they walk across the entire dang map.

teph117

I don't know how I feel about this. I just think about the scarce amount of colonists as it is, and how on edge the game is trying to get everything up to pay before that big group of raiders shows up. This can sometimes be hard enough without my colonists taking long walks on the beach and watching television.

Galileus

It could potentially be a though, but otherwise it overlaps with happiness. I would believe too much work would lower happiness and leisure time would raise it, so additional need doing the same exact thing would be redundant.

Workload

haha guess it does kinda over lap happiness. Didn't think of that. Well its just your people will work till tried or hungry but that's it. If boredom was added it tells them when to a break. If not added there will not be able to have entertainment items cause they will only be able to use them when there is nothing to do.

Water need should be added to but that's Tynan choice. Don't have to talk about it in here der to the other posts on water already.

Quote from: Calistyn on November 14, 2013, 08:21:39 PM
I dunno if there's plans to include other needs/wants, but I've thought about this a couple of times myself, though I think it'd make more sense to occur after a some time spent building up the colony rather than immediately, since survival is generally more important. Maybe the 'New Colony Optimism' would cover entertainment in the beginning?

For things that would be entertaining I like to think of little things they could do.

-  Dice
-  Cards
-  Sketchbook

The nice thing about the above is that your workers could be carrying them, and when they need a break from working just sit where they are and play, so you wouldn't be losing time as they walk across the entire dang map.
These are some good ones keep em coming and the New Colony Optimsim is very good too :)

DarkThug

I also think that there is no need for new bar. Just use the happiness bar. But these entertaining stuff is a good idea.

ShadowDragon8685

I wish there were entertainment objects so that, rather than wandering all the hell everywhere and back, my idle personnel would entertain themselves somewhere safe that I can control. Also, that it would grant them bonus happiness (IE, played a game of cards, entertained self with a video game, played a rousing board game, etcetera.)

Then they don't go "That's it, break time" in the middle of some big public works project, and only go and use the toys when I'm intentionally leaving them idle.
Raiders must die!

Kender

Let them play a game named 'RimWorld' after a heavy day. : p
Rogue, from Kendermoore of Dragonlance.

Cilionelle

Circus ships visit occasionally for a colony-wide boost (if you employ them).

Calistyn

Quote from: Cilionelle on November 15, 2013, 07:54:26 AM
Circus ships visit occasionally for a colony-wide boost (if you employ them).

This would make for a neat storyteller event! (Especially as it's not focused on being destructive to your colony, but helpful instead.)

Workload

Just wondering how it would fit into the happiness and fear would need its own items to balance things out.
Also If not added no point in doing it at all, cause when will they know when to use entertainment items. I just like things that will affect story and the villagers. Not just combat things :P

Plus the Boredom or Entertainment bar would go down very slow, slower then sleep but raises really fast and the start Optimism buff would keep the bar full. 

ShadowDragon8685

Quote from: Cilionelle on November 15, 2013, 07:54:26 AMCircus ships visit occasionally for a colony-wide boost (if you employ them).

The last thing my poor colony needs is a pack of carnies moving in, setting up shop and bilking my people of their (my) monies. :)
Raiders must die!