Project EONS - Read this - Being rewritten.

Started by apljee, March 08, 2015, 09:41:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

radradrobot

Will be very interested in this!  Might be a creeper for now o_O

apljee

Sorry that I missed the last Weekly Sundays update. I was busy with March Break like the rest of the team. :( We've had a few new additions and subtraction from the router - two new XML coders, Adamiks and JuiceBox and we sadly lost our only C# coder,so we'll be looking for one in the meantime.

In short for this, we need to redo the redo of the tech tree - we messed up pretty badly on the choice of software, so we'll be redoing it, probably on a more easy to use, reliable software like Google Docs with something like the mindmap adding.

Thanks for reading, I'll update soon!

P.S. - We are looking for more artists and c# coders. If you have time and talent, and are interested in helping please pm me.

apljee

(Kind of)Weekly Update #2
March 26th, 2015
We've had kind-of a break within the team of the mod - a few downs and ups, but I'll get to that soon. Right now, I'll just tell you guys that Compozitor
hasn't been responding to messages (he's our lead artist) and GorillaCZ has been dropped from our team (thankfully blaze stepped up to the plate to be our
C# coder for the time being), but despite all that we've carved out a plan with a to-do list.

New Content!

- Dropped the new storyteller "caveman" and shaman trait (caveman allowed for too many colonists, might re add with a nerf, shaman was too bug-riddled and I was too busy to fix them so I deleted it)
- Finished the majority of the Stone Age code.
- I've learned how to make decent looking weapon textures, so I'll be helping with art.
- Blaze7736 has stepped up to the plate of being our new C# coder
- Two new team members, JuiceBox and Adamiks.
- Soon to begin on the bronze age!
- Made some decisions, there will most likely be an early release in the future - sometime around gunpowder
era, whenever that is done.

Weekly Spoilers Image Updates!

That concludes this week's Weekly Update! Thanks for reading! :)

apljee

-- Big update, thing. --

Here's a few things, this will be a long post and if you're busy/in a rush I'll put a TL;DR statement at the bottom. (But it'll probably be pretty long for a TL;DR, too.) I'll order this in a number system.

Table of Contents:
1. What's going on with the mod
2. Who's still active, who isn't.
3. What we need
4. List of features
5. Explanations
6. Help needed
7. TL;DR

1. What's going on with the mod?
Well, it's not like there were many followers towards this mod but for the amount that there was I am very grateful. Anyways, I'd just like to start this off by saying this mod has been dead. But there's always a chance for necromancy! (That's if you play fantasy games like I do.) Basically, I'll let you know what happened - we gained a few members, and lost a few - our current team that we know is active is apljee(me), blaze7736, tristan1333, and Adamiks. There are a few that we're considering inactive at this point in time, and one that has been terminated from the team. The inactive ones are Compozitor (our lead artist, I can't do textures too well but I'm fine with weapons.) and JuiceBox, who was one of our XML coders. So, we're on a short list of people and March Break basically killed the remaining people left. So, we've got the Stone Age almost done and that's about it.

2. Who's active, who isn't.
Currently, the active people are apljee (myself), blaze7736, Adamiks, & tristan1333. The inactive people are Compozitor and JuiceBox, and Compozitor probably played the 2nd biggest role in the entire project (only before project lead) as the lead artist, he was responsible for doing all of our textures. You might see how this is more of an issue. I don't mean to be rude but JuiceBox wasn't as much of a rarity as Compozitor was because only a few people can do art in his quality and style.

3. What we need.
We need to get back together - if that makes sense. We've been at loss of everything. People, morale, enthusiasm to work, generally everything that we require in order to make a quality mod. Which is why I'm wondering if we should just take what we have and do a full rewrite of the mod. (I'll explain in-depth more on both of these topics.)

4. List of features
Currently, all we had was the Stone Age stuff. This means, weapons, a few workstations, researches, and a "power" station (which might need to be something else because it was a water mill. :P) we also had a windmill for medieval "power". What I mean when I do "power" is that we used power as an excuse for some things that wouldn't need power but still needed to be somewhat balanced. This is things like granaries, furnaces, etc. because we felt as if they could be a little more balanced. If you needed a type of power that wasn't necessarily power, but for things like furnaces was coolant, granaries/mills was just what was used to process wheat into dough, stuff like that. But, yeah - that's all that we had done.

5. Explanations
So, I'll probably lock the post in a bit. Why, you ask? Because we need to get our stuff back together. This might sound like a phony excuse but this post wasn't really doing anything anyways. There still might be a Project EONS post but just something to post updates on, and less "Releases-section" like, just for us to share our progress and for you guys to answer polls we put up so we know how to steer our development-car. (Yay for metaphors!) Another explanation: I've been thinking about rewriting the mod from scratch. Why, you ask again? Because there are a few errors I/we cannot solve and I haven't found any actual responses from the community. So, yeah. We'll probably be rewriting the mod but still maintaining the same features as before. Don't worry, guys!

6. Help Needed
We need help. Nothing like alcoholics anonymous help, but rather just help developing the mod. As said above, we're short an artist and a less-needed XML coder. This means big problems not just because development will be slowed by 1/5th of it's regular speed, but it will also be slowed about 2/5 more including the other 1/5 because we're lacking an artist, which will mean we'll either have to count on me for making textures (which I'm not quite reliable for that.) or we could use textures from the community with a bunch of placeholders. We still have the textures Compozitor gave us from before we classified him as "inactive". But still, we need all the help from everyone who's interested. Here's a nicely organized list of what we need help with, in order.

- We need an artist. (Drastic!)
- We need C# coders (Not so drastic, but still would be nice!)
- We need XML coders (Not quite drastic at all, but it would still speed up everything.)
- We need testers (Nothing that we can't do ourselves, but it might speed up everything a bit.)

7. TL;DR

- Quite a few, perhaps too many people are inactive within the "staff" or "hierarchy" of the mod. This means that overall progression is slowed down to quite an extent. We're also basically all dead after March Break - most of our communications have reached a ceasefire and we've lost GorillaCZ because I guess he just had a mental break. (Yay for Rimworld refrences!) Anyways, we need artists drastically, c# and XML coders somewhat to speed up process and testing would be ok but, we can do it ourselves.

---------------

Thanks, guys. It's been great working on this mod but it's time for a slight break, where instead of having a break we just have a lockdown and work on the mod to ensure progress. We'll continue working on the mod, I can promise that.

Thanks.
Austin

apljee

Topic reopened.

Looking for an artist, work will resume soon but for now all we'll have is placeholder textures before we're put into the "releases" category and more people start batting eyes towards Project EONS.