Who to ask about details of the setting for making characters.

Started by SadBaxter, August 29, 2016, 11:13:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SadBaxter

I had an idea for a character, but I wanted to know some specific details about the nature of the Rimworld universe before launching into buying a character pack. Really I kind of wanted to know the state of warfare in rimworld, whether interplanetary or interstellar war similar to the story "The Forever War" occurs (Relativity and time dilation makes that kind of thing extremely odd), or whether wars are solely single-planet or single-system affairs and are quite self-contained on a galactic scale.

It'd also be interesting to know whether wars can be fought at the higher levels of technology that exist on some planets, or if that armies, soldiers, and combat vehicles don't have a purpose when you can just de-orbit asteroids at people you don't like.

Lykos

De orbiting asteroids is interesting on the other hand if you crack the planet while you do deny it to the enemy you also deny it to yourself. It kind of reminds of how some people think we 'dont need infantry' because snipers, tanks, mortar support, artillery support, and air support rack up more kills.

Winning a war is more then just killing the enemy, though that is a part of it. Food for thought.

I found this link for you i hope i am allowed to post it here for you to read, though I imagine i am. It is the 'primer' for the games lore. Please Enjoy :)
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1pIZyKif0bFbBWten4drrm7kfSSfvBoJPgG9-ywfN8j8/pub

Shinzy

I'd say any wars are very very contained

Quote from: RimWorld Universe Quick PrimerIn the RimWorld universe, it takes years or decades to travel or communicate between stars. Because travel times are so long, planets tend to be disconnected from each other socially and technologically. So there are no great star empires, and interstellar travel is unusual. Each star system is mostly isolated from its neighbors.
I don't know if you've read the lore docs linked in this thread or not! but I can recommend :p
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=4346.msg42561#msg42561