Colonist equipment slots for weapons and tools, and some other ideas

Started by Gemeciusz, March 09, 2015, 04:26:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gemeciusz

First off,  i love the current layers and slots for clothing, it's a great concept and has great variability to mix and match for all weather and combat situation.

The actual suggestions;

I posted this as an answer in an other thread about shields (like bucklers and riot shields and knigthly kite shields) , but i wanted to put it out in its own, to see your thoughts about it. Keep in mind that it's a far fetched, complex set of ideas and suggestions.
So, i would like the combat and equipmemt system to be redisigned, so pawns have 2 hands, and 2 slots for main weapons, it would mean rifles, shotguns, longswords and pilas would take on both slots,  and would function just like now.
Pistols, smgs, shivs, maces, grenades, and all other relatively small weapons would only use up one slot, so they could be either used alone for a slight buff of the appropriate kind (maybe dodge for melle, and accuracy for ranged) OR dual wielded.
In my mind two weapon fighters should get some debuffs, but some pawns could get traits like ambidextrous, or get a slight buff for one hand over the other with a preferred hand trait. And finally in this train of thoughts, i want my guys to be able to wield an smg paired up with a gladius and wreak havoc from any distance.
Another interesting thing would be for pawns to be able to fire while moving, with large debuffs for accuracy and aiming cooldown time (or reload if/when it gets implemented).
The second thing i would love to see is 2 utility slots.
These could be  used to equip tons of things, not yet implemented;
- secondary weapons (change to ranged when they run away or melle if they close in on your sniper, in my mind its strictly a side arm slot, so only small weapons would fit from the previous concept, and large wepons currently equipped would be thrown on the ground in the haste to rearm yourself),
-  small (maybe 2 or 3) stacks of food or medicine,
- short range radios (to get the social chat buff far away from home),
- aim assisiting computer (for hunting deer, or pirates at range),
- handy tool cases (to (de) construct those walls faster),
- pherromon inhibitors (when your warden need that edge for recruitment)
-or even a maid drone (so you dust fo the beds with precision and efficiency)
- and so on for every skill.
These could be tied in with a research so every colonist would start with one slot, than you could reserch the utility belt tech to open upma secondary slot or even get some with a body implant robocop like (pistol holster in the leg, radio in the ear, aim assist in the eye, etc)

(pretty long, off topic side notes; I would love to see more armor types, low tech like a padded leather west or a steel breastplate  just as much as some high tech (power armor wariants for speed with lover dmg resistance, or stelth field generating assassin armor, or pretty much anything cool, and i would love to put a cowboy hat over the any other headgear, without stats just for the looks)

BetaSpectre

EQUIPABLE BACKPACKS,BANDOLIERS,gUNHOLSTERS, AFGJHJHKKKKk

+1 for the idea. Really with all the weapons it'd be cool if we could have well more.
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░─╤▌██ |
░░░░░░░░─╤▂▃▃▄▄▄███████▄▃|
▂█▃▃▅▅███/█████\█[<BSS>█\███▅▅▅▃▂
◥████████████████████████████████◤
                           TO WAR WE GO

Vagabond

Hello,

I would like to see the "Gear" tab altered to a more RPG look, with slots.

Head: Helmets/Hats
Shoulders: Cloaks/Shoulder pads; specifically shoulder mounted items.
Arms: Bracers
Hands: Gloves
Chest: Breast Plate
Legs: Greaves
Feet: Boots

Ranged Weapon Slot: Gun/Bow
Melee Weapon Slot: Pneumatic Pick/Sword
Shield Slot: Bubble Shield/Riot Shield/PLEADS
Accessory Slot?: Toolbelt?

Weapons are categorized as either one handed or two handed, and light or heavy. A heavy ranged weapon would be things like rpgs, bazookas, and miniguns; they are the only weapons where they can't be equipped with a melee weapon, and keep current weapon behavior.  A gun and a melee weapon can be equipped at the same time.
-One handed gun, one handed melee: can be used at the same time (space marine style)
-one handed gun, two handed melee: when engaged in melee, the gun will be holstered and the melee weapon drawn
-Two handed gun, one handed melee: When engaged in melee, the gun is holstered and the melee weapon drawn
-two handed gun, two handed melee: when engaged in mele, the gun is dropped and the melee weapon drawn.

In regards to clothing and armor, they can take up more than one slot, but can also be overlapped. As an example: A jumpsuit would cover everything except the head, hands, and shoulder, but you could wear power armor over it.

Two types of shields:

-Conventional shields are like riot shields, kite shields, and gungan-style energy shields. Conventional shields act as mobile cover with a chance to turn a hit into a miss depending on the size of the shield. Each shield could have a damage threshold that would allow things like high powered rifles to nullify the m

-Then there is the "bubble" shield. These shields work on a 'charge', meaning that each hit removes a charge that regenerates over time. It would be based off kinetic force, as in, it requires a certain amount of force to be applied to the shield in order for it to block entry/exit. Melee attacks and primitive ranged weapons could pass both ways through the shield.

-A final type of shield could be a "PLEADS", Personal Laser Energy Advanced Defence System. I named it myself! :) It is based on the Navy's LaWS. Basically, this is like a body mounted laser that tracks incomming projectiles and shoots a laser at it, either cancelling out another form of energy or vaporizing a conventional projectile. This would require a battery, that once depleted would have to be recharged or simply a new put in.

Cheers,
Michael

Covered in Weasels

I don't think specific tools are necessary or even good for gameplay. Colonist skill already has a huge effect on work speed, adding more variables like tool quality would be too fiddly. I admit I'm not overly concerned with maximum efficiency, but such a solution wouldn't be friendly to people who love min-maxing their colonies. What happens if your best builder is incapacitated and has to rest in a hospital bed, keeping his Master-Crafted Screwdriver out the hands of other workers?

Rimworld is a colony management game where you have to track the inventories of many people at once, not an RPG where you focus on one character. I would prefer to spend my time growing a colony and becoming invested in the stories of the people who live there, not diving through endless menus to ensure everyone has the proper sock color and firmness for the task at hand. Having more inventory slots opens up more options, but while players often want more options they don't always benefit a game.

cultist

I want you all to think long and hard about this:

Are you absolutely sure you want to micromanage 20+ pieces of equipment per colonist that all have quality levels and degrade over time?

This is fine in a game where you play a single character, but it's nothing but endless fiddling in a game where you deal with 10 or more characters simultaneously in real time.

rexx1888

i really dont want to micromanage equipment...

having said that, i would like my crew to actually be able to carry around some of the stuff they need to not die... more weapons than one, possibly some food an medicine, the ability to carry and move more than one stack of stuff. Like, on a large map, your dudes basically spend entire days in the wilderness to fetch a box of kindling, and they starve while they are at it :\

However, it seems to me development is headed towards a bunch of nuance in areas like water and such, so its probably also in the works for an expanded inventory

BetaSpectre

Quote from: cultist on March 10, 2015, 05:55:57 PM
I want you all to think long and hard about this:

Are you absolutely sure you want to micromanage 20+ pieces of equipment per colonist that all have quality levels and degrade over time?

This is fine in a game where you play a single character, but it's nothing but endless fiddling in a game where you deal with 10 or more characters simultaneously in real time.
Yes 14 colonists is manageable stuff doesn't degrade fast.
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░─╤▌██ |
░░░░░░░░─╤▂▃▃▄▄▄███████▄▃|
▂█▃▃▅▅███/█████\█[<BSS>█\███▅▅▅▃▂
◥████████████████████████████████◤
                           TO WAR WE GO

Telarin

You could deal with the micromanagement aspect by making colonists "smart" enough to replace worn equipment with items of the same type that are in better shape. Basically, then all you have to do is setup their loadout once, and they will do their best to keep it replaced with items of suitable quality.

This could even be expanded upon by giving certain workshops the ability to repair equipment. That way, you could just keep a few spares, and when a colonists replaces their damaged handgun, your machinist (or a specialized gunsmith) can go to work maintaining the worn gun that the colonists dropped off. Similarly, tailors could repair clothing, though there would be a chance that the quality level would drop when it was repaired, as you can only patch up clothing for so long.

Joshuasca

I say just simplify all this, 2 weapon slots - no right hand slot / left hand slot - just simply two different weapons one is the active the other is the sidearm, and they can be switched.  An additional slot for a meal and a medicine would be nice as well, but mainly the weapon thing.  I don't think you need to change very much to do this, and it would make this game so much more tactically engaging.  Right now you can't even use half the weapons because who the hell is gonna throw a grenade at someone standing right in front of them. 

Kegereneku

For the sake of "Rimworld isn't an RPG" and simplicity. I would limit the idea to the following :

- Each colonist has 3 slots
- Those slot are both equipment or weapon
- Equipment mean "can carry medipack/foods/beer".
- The third slot would give move penalty

Nothing else is really necessary or give cost-efficient improvement to the game.

I know many of us imagine "tools" to give more credibility but for now that's a way acceptable break from reality for the sake of gameplay.
"Sam Starfall joined your colony"
"Sam Starfall left your colony with all your valuable"
-------
Write an Event
[Story] Write an ending ! (endless included)
[Story] Imagine a Storyteller !