[discussion] Roof & the mortar paradigm

Started by Kegereneku, March 10, 2015, 05:20:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kegereneku

Hello everybody,
If I asked it make no doubt many would just say "yes" to being able to build (Solid) roof.
But it have a good part in gameplay

I haven't been there since the first versions of Rimworld but in term of gameplay it seem (solid) roof were just unnecessary until the addition of Mortar.
And mortar themselves were meant to get the players out of their mountain fortress, something I don't think is really working, mortar inaccuracy isn't worrying either when fighting a lot of raider.

However, even if we never get multi-level gameplay (which is fine), I think solid roof or the lack of could become annoying/frustrating, as in "no reason you shouldn't be able to protect some zone"

Myself I would be suggesting the following :
- Adding (solid)Roof in with Floor in the Architect
- Solid Roof would ask for closer support wall,
- not be subject to "no-roof zone" as a trade-of,
- give a beauty bonus (as it must feel reassuring to feel protected by more than thin metal),
- Adding a button allowing to see all roofed area in half-transparency (for support wall and good screenshot), you would be able to deconstruct them from this view.

Mortar (because it's linked)
- Would be more accurate
- Would still pierce a little(explosive)/go through(EMP)

Aside... you could have "windy event" that blow off any roof that isn't a (solid) one.

Opinion ?
"Sam Starfall joined your colony"
"Sam Starfall left your colony with all your valuable"
-------
Write an Event
[Story] Write an ending ! (endless included)
[Story] Imagine a Storyteller !

BetaSpectre

IMO solid roofs should rely on supports which will take damage if a Mortar hits.
Bunkers IRL exist and can resist Artillery just fine.
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░─╤▌██ |
░░░░░░░░─╤▂▃▃▄▄▄███████▄▃|
▂█▃▃▅▅███/█████\█[<BSS>█\███▅▅▅▃▂
◥████████████████████████████████◤
                           TO WAR WE GO