Screenshots of your base/fort

Started by bigfuzzy, March 10, 2015, 07:00:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lusername

Quote from: chaosmage on March 12, 2015, 04:11:13 PM
Quote from: kic on March 11, 2015, 12:16:39 AM
I just switched to extreme (on Cassandra) and survived the first extreme raid (previous raids at challenging and rough proved harmless).
Do you get fun during these raids?
Goodness, I'd hope not. Fun is definitely not something you want to have happening to you. The entire point of a well-run fortress is to stamp out any and all Fun.

Quote from: chaosmage on March 12, 2015, 04:11:13 PMAfter building a "killbox" (found this word here) the game seems to be quite boring, as my colonists never get out of the nutshell. Only to counterstrike the raiding party with mortars.
That's kind of the point, yes.

Idara

My current base (Cassandra Casual. Tundra Mountains. No mods)

[attachment deleted due to age]

Darkhymn

Quote from: Idara on March 13, 2015, 01:41:57 PM
My current base (Cassandra Casual. Tundra Mountains. No mods)

I'd suggest a more efficient hydro layout and a more efficient power grid, as well as a few more redundant batteries for emergencies. I love the cafeteria/chow hall design of your dining area. Admittedly much cooler than my "one or two giant tables" design.

b0rsuk

This game needs something fun, like methane emissions underground.

lusername

Quote from: b0rsuk on March 14, 2015, 01:24:10 AM
This game needs something fun, like methane emissions underground.
Can we use these emissions to generate power, or create a constant flamethrower to immolate raiders, thus ruining the fun?

Idara

Quote from: Darkhymn on March 14, 2015, 12:30:20 AMI'd suggest a more efficient hydro layout and a more efficient power grid

More effiecient how? Suggestions greatly appreciated :-)

Quote from: Darkhymn on March 14, 2015, 12:30:20 AMas well as a few more redundant batteries for emergencies.

I used to do larger battery banks, inc some disconnected for emergencies only, but generally find them more trouble than they're worth. My current set-up copes with almost everything.

Quote from: Darkhymn on March 14, 2015, 12:30:20 AMI love the cafeteria/chow hall design of your dining area. Admittedly much cooler than my "one or two giant tables" design.

rtiger

Here is my current base. This is a flat, arctic colony, Phoebe.
Yeah, I know I am using an easy storyteller, but that doesn't make life any easier when it is generally sub zero. All my colonists have parkas, and still get frostbite occasionally. At least I no longer need to worry as much about food.

Darkhymn

Quote from: Idara on March 14, 2015, 10:53:48 AM
Quote from: Darkhymn on March 14, 2015, 12:30:20 AMI'd suggest a more efficient hydro layout and a more efficient power grid

More effiecient how? Suggestions greatly appreciated :-)

Quote from: Darkhymn on March 14, 2015, 12:30:20 AMas well as a few more redundant batteries for emergencies.

I used to do larger battery banks, inc some disconnected for emergencies only, but generally find them more trouble than they're worth. My current set-up copes with almost everything.

Quote from: Darkhymn on March 14, 2015, 12:30:20 AMI love the cafeteria/chow hall design of your dining area. Admittedly much cooler than my "one or two giant tables" design.

If you glance at my first post in the thread, you can see a more efficient hydroponics design. As for power grid, I mostly meant placement of power structures. You can see this as well in my screenshot, though it may behoove you to leave a space for colonists to put out fires. Solar panels do not block wind turbines, and they prevent trees from popping up where they are. It leaves a more compact, manageable power farm.

silentlord

This was my first Randy-Serious challenge base. i was really far into the game, love Rimworld and the mods make it even better.
Had 10 colonists and several droids, making a nice living producing cheap weapons and gear, plus selling slaves and captured gear. :P

i never got round to making a special area for prisoners, got a fatal crash from one of mods. *sigh*

all pictures are clickable after main image. i reduced the first to fit within the 600kb limit, but vastly reduced the picture quality. just found imgur, so the rest are uploaded there.

medical and food prep area with a walk in freezer. also the freezer at the bottom below medical, holds zombie bodies only.... ready supply of medical training and food..... all im saying is.... Soylent Green. :D

Pawns live in style and extreme comfort with gold doors and gold beds, shame no golden thrones. hehe

main forward defences... they run on a separate power network from the colony, which runs on nuclear power!

It was a hard game... i lost my first nuclear power plant just minutes after completion, via a drop-assault. Grrrrr if you have that mod you know how much those things cost and take to build. lucky the radiation killed them all while i locked the double steel reinforced doors! take that NPCs.

Started a new colony though.... much, much better drop-point.... although at first i couldn't tell, i use mod Darkness.... couldnt see a damn thing upon planet-fall.  its just progressing from early to mid-game, time to add hydroponics etc...

What you guys think?

chaosmage

Quote from: silentlord on March 17, 2015, 09:02:41 PM
What you guys think?

Too easy with droids, defence mods, power...

I have the base, same size as you, and several mechanoid descent drops ruin it into pieces. Thats a strange fun, but...

silentlord

agree droids make it easy. but i rarely get replacement colonists. zombie infections and deaths kill off alot. the defences on both barely contain a wave. the mech-drops and assault drops do indeed make it interesting. lol

i rarely get slave trader where is annoying.... i get combat and textile one near constant. and zombie airborne infection makes melee combat and dead bodies piling up dangerous.

im really enjoying it, a challenge an half.... im tempted to bump up to Randy on extreme, alittle scared though.

loc978

Just for the sheer girlish giggles of it, I made yet another ladies only mountain tundra colony, and decided to go with mass graves over cremation.
http://i.imgur.com/RpLjAX5.jpg
I suppose my defenses are a bit overpowered, but I just don't feel right with the vanilla turrets. If I can make an automated machine gun out of scrap metal (which is a downright silly proposition), I should be able to build a bigger, tougher, less accurate one that shoots further with more work and more scrap metal. Also, lasers. But they take some plasteel parts and a lot more work. Also, they do less damage than their projectile counterparts, but I love 'em anyway.
http://i.imgur.com/TTcRGwg.jpg
And what mountain base would be complete without a gigantic mining project?
http://i.imgur.com/MSCyPW0.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/AA6TYSC.jpg

Chonchon

I'm actually pretty proud of this one. I decided to run it not as a smelly bunch of castaways, but as a full-on occupying army. I play on extreme challenge wave survival mode, with random zombie invasions thrown in, for maximum fun.

The barracks is close to the perimeter defenses and the artillery yard, so that the troops can quickly take their positions in the event of an attack. No dumb turrets for us, thank you very much. There's also only one prisoner bed, because my manpower comes from frequent slave trader troop-ship visits. (Average life expectancy is incredibly short.)

There's also "Break In Case of Emergency" shotgun racks scattered all over the base, so that if the worst happens and the enemy breaches the defenses, my men can have the advantage in a bloody urban brawl.

The trench line is equipped with heavy machine guns and 120mm cannons for anti-mechanoid use.

Black helmets are sergeants, gold is the commander, red for medics, and red with power armor for flamethrowers.

The guy in the black coat is a political commissar, who 'takes care' of prisoners and maintains discipline in the ranks.

This man broke down during a zombie invasion and abandoned his squad. His actions cost the life of a fellow soldier. The commissar oversees the disciplinary action.

silentlord

Imperial Commissars at work! hehe

that's one hell'va an artillery yard! you need droids to manufacture those shells in case of prolonged siege engagement.

RemingtonRyder

I didn't dig all of that out, just walled some of it off. :)