[A13] Can I Brew It? (v1.5.2) If you can eat it, you can brew it

Started by Fluff_Thorrent, March 10, 2015, 12:56:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fluff_Thorrent

Can I Brew It? v1.5.2
Description:
This mod adds new alcoholic beverages, based on the plants available for farming. They are crafted at the Brewery.

Added items:
  • Vodka, made from potatoes
  • Strawberry Wine, made from strawberries
  • Bourbon, made from corn
  • Tequila, made from agave
  • Sake, made from rice

Planned items:
  • Zubrowka, made from Vodka and haygrass (thanks, Patrykbono20!)
  • Kefir, made from milk
  • Brandy, made from distilling Wine
  • Advocaat, made from Brandy and eggs

Development:

Current version is v1.5.2, which is compatible with Alpha 13.

Latest News:

2016-10-15
(As written in response to Mackinz:)
I'm still working on getting time for the update (as the job mentioned is 10h * 4d /week), but it's planned and coming. I need to make a thorough investigation into how the fermentation barrels work and how they recognize recipes, but after that it should be a matter of copy-paste-adjust for the different drinks. There might be a placeholder graphic for the "Still" workbench, but hopefully not.

2016-08-29
With the release of Alpha 15 it looks like my old problems of consumption are about to end! I am hoping to pick up and finish development of a compatible version this week, but might delay to next week due to new job. Still, very exciting!

2016-04-28
Alpha 13 is finally out and about, and I've managed to find some time for updating "Can I Brew It". Current version is v1.5.2, which I'll be updating to v1.6 once I've implemented the Still and the above planned beverages.

2015-08-28
When A12 came out, the game didn't throw any error messages when I tried the old version with A12. Instead, it turned out that my mod had added a separate Brewery with my recipes because of inheritance issues related to the new "castEdgeShadows" effect. This has been hot-fixed as of v1.5.1 - the mod now adds the recipes to the original Brewery.

- Older news cleared -

General Status:

I will keep working on this mod with regards to updating for future versions of RimWorld (and perhaps finding time to implement the planned features), but until the issue with colonists not recognizing the beverages as alternatives to beer has been fixed, the mod on it's own is essentially broken with regards to that behaviour. A fix has been made by UMK (https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=11260), though it seems it has not been updated since A11.

All items and recipes work as intended, they just need to be manually consumed (Select colonist -> Right-click item -> Select "Consume [item]"). This is understandably not very player-friendly, and also means that playtesting the features and stats of the drinks will be very cumbersome. Please let me know of any other fix which takes care of this outside of the core mechanics.

A first attempt at balancing the beverages in terms of market value, nutrition and joy amount, and parameters related to crafting (cost, output, work time) has been included as of v1.5. If you'd like, feel free to post a reply here and tell me what you think of the attributes and how they're good or bad.

Planned Features:

• Skill requirements for crafting the stronger beverages (vodka, bourbon, tequila)
  • New drinks based around the additional crops and animal products in A12
  • A "StrongAlcohol" health effect for the stronger beverages
  • The Still, a new worktable for producing the stronger beverages
Author
Fluff_Thorrent

Download
Nexus Link: http://www.nexusmods.com/rimworld/mods/79/?

How to install:

• Unzip the contents and place them in your RimWorld/Mods folder.
  • Activate the mod in the mod menu in the game.
  • Enjoy responsibly!

Fluff_Thorrent

Quote from: Erathu on March 10, 2015, 02:05:52 PM
auto consumed?
I'm not sure, I copied the item description of the Beer object and made the appropriate changes to the code as I wished, keeping the "isPleasureDrug" and "hediffDef" tags intact, so at this stage they're all basically reskinned Beer, just with different ingredients and Bills at the Brewery.

TL;DR - They have the same profile as Beer, so they should be consumed as normal.

nomedable

Wouldn't the bourbon be technically called whiskey, since it's not "made" in the states?

Fluff_Thorrent

Quote from: nomedable on March 10, 2015, 06:10:51 PM
Wouldn't the bourbon be technically called whiskey, since it's not "made" in the states?
Yeah, I had to take some liberties with the naming :P I figured that since RimWorld lore states that humans spread from Earth, they'd carry the most popular names for the drinks with them.

There were a couple of considerations regarding recognition value with all drinks - the tequila should actually be called mezcal or pulque since it's not made in the Mexican state of Jalisco (huge international trade deal about that), and sake should actually be called nihonshu, which is the original Japanese name for it ("Japanese liquor").

Regarding bourbon specifically, I had to decide between naming it "corn whiskey", which according to Wikipedia is "legal moonshine" in the States, or "bourbon", which is shipped globally. This is the closest balance I could find between international player recognition and lore-friendliness :-)

PS. If we want to get even more technical, vodka AND whiskey is made predominantly from various grains, which isn't available in default RimWorld.

nomedable

The multi-grain compostion of whiskey was why I was wondering as to why you picked bourbon as the name (other than my suspicion that you're a yankee), but I understand the colloquialism of bourbon as whiskey for the sake of simplicity. In Canada there's a similar situation with whiskey, it gets called rye instead of rye-whiskey (even though corn is actually the "main" ingredient in rye-whiskey).

hentiger

Preapologize about my linguistic skills. I live in non-english speak world... My word choice and writing skills would be awful

FridayBiology

Just need a "Track Selection" MOD and Disco ball and we're good :P
Yes another god damn youtuber.
 https://www.youtube.com/user/FridayBiology

Fluff_Thorrent

Quote from: nomedable on March 10, 2015, 08:22:12 PM
The multi-grain compostion of whiskey was why I was wondering as to why you picked bourbon as the name (other than my suspicion that you're a yankee), but I understand the colloquialism of bourbon as whiskey for the sake of simplicity. In Canada there's a similar situation with whiskey, it gets called rye instead of rye-whiskey (even though corn is actually the "main" ingredient in rye-whiskey).
Well my train of thought went like this:
Corn needs a beverage ->
Corn comes from North America ->
Which alcoholic drink has mostly corn in it? ->
Corn whiskey (81% corn) and bourbon (51%) ->
Which is best known outside the US? ->
Going with bourbon

That's weird about the rye-whiskey though, but I guess it has something to do with people's habits and cultural background. Stranger things have happened I guess :-P

harpo99999

a semi-related question, does anybody know of a booze made from MEAT???
google did not for me

Fluff_Thorrent

cythedag

I tried this mod, and I love it. But, the pawns will not seek out and find the brewed items by themselves to drink it. I tested this with beer also, they will "auto-consume" beer without a problem. But the other liquors they act completely oblivious to until you order them to drink it. Maybe the need to drink beer is hard-coded?

UMK

Quote from: cythedag on March 13, 2015, 08:10:42 AM
I tried this mod, and I love it. But, the pawns will not seek out and find the brewed items by themselves to drink it. I tested this with beer also, they will "auto-consume" beer without a problem. But the other liquors they act completely oblivious to until you order them to drink it. Maybe the need to drink beer is hard-coded?
Of course they are. To dev: can you group all your beverages and beer into separate category? This will allow to differentiate marijuana, coffee and cigarettes from drinks. You should also remove beer from game (make it non-craftable), but make a copy of it with another defName - this will give all beverages same priority. I'm making a mod to set bewerages consumable automatically.