Penalties for capturing raiders?

Started by wooaa, January 25, 2014, 09:02:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wooaa

So first a bit of backstory. My colony got raided, and it was a bit of a pyric victory. One pawn was slain, and another too hospitalized by a grenadier. However, the grenadier was wounded and knocked unconscious. Needing reinforcement, I captured her and after a few days of "percussive persuasion" she was a happy and productive member of the colony and regularly jokes with the rest of the crew in the hydroponics bay.

From an in universe perspective, this causes some problems. I don't like her that much, for me she will always be the one that almost blew up two of my guys, so I can imagine that the rest of the crew would not be too fond of her as well. If someone came into my house, beat up two of my friends, then lived with me, I would be a bitt miffed.

I have two ideas to represent this in the game. The first is a temporary global happiness penalty for a few days as they adjust to the change. This could be implemented in game without reinventing the wheel. Another idea would require the game to be a bit more developed. Depending on how crew interactions develop there could be some relationship penalty, or maybe a chance for fights to brake out? Like I said, anything more complicated would need more time. What do you think?

Tynan

Hmm. It would be hard to determine what a captured person "meant to" the colonists.

What if they didn't kill anyone?

What if they just hurt someone but killed noone?

More challenging would be feeding back the multi-step cause and effect between raider hurts colonist->raider recruited->other colonists unhappy. I guess you could simplify it out with some very straightforward heuristics, but considering how much else this game needs this is probably a low priority because it's so difficult and so low-impact.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

AmalgamSnow

I think you could start with just an oversimplified variant and just state that whenever a captured raider is recruited into the colony, happiness/loyalty suffers a temporary penalty, e.g. 3 days -10 to happiness.

wooaa

thats a good idea Amalgam. I think that the fact that she was part of a raiding group alone would cause some friction. But I admit this whole idea was just something that came to me late at night. It would not change the game by too much so probably is not worth thinking about for a few years.

PS WOW a developer commented on my first post. that shows you are very attentive to the community, just another of 1000 reasons this game is great.

palandus

So something like the opposite of "New Colony Optimism" then? Or in this case "New Colonist Pessimism"

Neonispyro

I feel that having no effect on happiness makes sense. So let's say a raider manages to kill a colonist, but is later recruited. Sure, people would be angry that they lost a friend, but they'd also be grateful that there was someone who was more or less willing to fill the spot and work just as hard as everybody else to survive.