Deeper interaction with traders

Started by Workload, November 15, 2013, 02:51:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Workload

They land on a landing pad after you make the trade. Then loaders/haulers that work on the trade ship bring the stuff just outside of the ship on the landing pad. Depending what faction they are affects what kind and amount of armed guards come with them.  If under attack by raiders they shouldn’t land i guess cause people might abuse them to help fight. Can just have them peace soon as there is danger to close. Maybe make it a law that all turrets must be powered down near the landing pads or they will not land and if you power them up with a trade ship on the ground  they well warn you to power them down..... if fail to do so. They well take off and if you shoot the traders they well open fire, maybe the trade ship could have 2 good turrets shooting while they power up the engines and the loaders get back on-board.
You could try and rob them by blowing up there ship or killing the loaders/haulers before they can get back to the ship. doing this can really make a faction mad and they will send very strong soldiers/mercenaries and also they will not make a trade with you till they forgive you. They will forgive slowly over time.

I saw some other people’s ideas that could work with this.

One was they could poison/virus the food they give you.

The other was they could sends guys in pods to ambush your people.  Same thing here just they come out of the ship. It would be safe to turn the turrets on to fight them due to they attacked first.

Can't say this is not western

I’m probably going to be hated for this post so bring on the hate....... if not let me know if you got more ideas

Varock0

I have a problem with the graves they just take too much space in a long game. One way to hadle that is to shoot with a T9 on the graves to burn them but it would be much nicer if there was a better way to cremate them, in a stove or sth like that.
I also experienced some huge electric discharges wich led to huge explosions. I think it would be nice if you can do this on purpose on a specific destination to kill raiders.

murhe

I really like this idea. It would make more sense when you sell stuff. Ofcourse those traders could be pirates or slavers very rarely trying to steal your stuff or men you send at landing pad.

Roque like games usually have many ways to steal from shops. There could be way to scam for both parties.

central

I really like this idea.
A shuttle landing pad could be added as a build-able object to the game.

After selling something to the traders, they'd come down with a shuttle to pick it up.

Tynan

I really want to do traders who appear as characters in the map. It's just a matter of working out all the AI and management details to make that happen. There may come a day when the space traders are replaced completely by groups of people who come to trade (and whom you can attack, or who may attack you, or participate in battles with raiders, etc).
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

thebadman

Quote from: Tynan on December 09, 2013, 11:22:12 PM
I really want to do traders who appear as characters in the map. It's just a matter of working out all the AI and management details to make that happen. There may come a day when the space traders are replaced completely by groups of people who come to trade (and whom you can attack, or who may attack you, or participate in battles with raiders, etc).
Finally i can be raider too! ;D

Workload

Nice looking forward to that. Attack the wrong traders and you'll pay the price. Also I know the landing pad is pretty far off from the games lore so forget about that. The 2nd part fits better with ambushes / A bomb instead of what ever item you bought from them and maybe not even on purpose just a bad bundle of food that could slowly plague what ever food pile its next to and so on.

Sorry for the super late reply haha pc needed a fixing

spacemarine658

i think a landing pad could be in the lore i mean there has to be shuttles or some kind of crafts that traders use but the reason the colonists can leave by that way is because of some plot twist (virus or something) that wont let them leave once they are in the colony and so traders visit once in a while but cant rescue you

Coenmcj

Well I suppose if either method are made available the new stockpiles could be used similiarly.
Instead of having your materials mysteriously disapear, we could have a 4th zone that your colonists move the materials being sold/bought to and from your stockpiles that way when the traders arive and make their transactions they can haul away the goods with whatever method is being used (Shuttle or a roving band of smugglers traders)
Moderator on discord.gg/rimworld come join us! We don't bite

Workload

Shuttle does sound a lot better then a Ship, The landing/shuttle pad could be done just really far off from now.
Yeah with the new zones one could be marked as trade 
As for why you don't leave the planet I'm not sure maybe they can't make a ship cause your 3 people who lived don't know how or have blueprints on how to build a spaceship.

or they just really like there new home and why leave if there doing well. 

Sinnick

I really like the shuttle pad idea.  Perhaps in future updates it could be set up as the colonists are there to settle on purpose.  Drop the crash landing all together (or maybe the original 3 settlers are the sole survivors of the colony ship that was meant to settle the planet).   That way you could go with the shuttle pads as people are not trying to flee from the colony.  Hell,  maybe they will jump a shuttle and leave if they suffer a mental break bad enough.

CodyRex123

I hate the idea that the traders can scam you, when buying slaves its annoying,
Dragons!

Untrustedlife

This, I love.
So dwarf fortress in space eh?
I love it.
I love it so much.
Please keep it that way.

Hey Guys, Here is the first succession Game of rim world for your reading Pleasure, it is in progress right now

LINK

Trensicourt

Quote from: Untrustedlife on January 26, 2014, 05:49:26 PM

This, I love.

Simple. Nomads or traders from other colonies possibly.
WHAT IS RIM WORLD? A RAIDER DEATH BALL. LITERALLY.