Merging Construction and Repair work types - should I do it?

Started by Tynan, March 11, 2015, 04:33:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Merging Construction and Repair work types - should I do it?

Yes
No

Tynan

I'm thinking of merging these two work types.

Pros: One less column to manage in the work overview.

Cons: You can no longer set these to separate priorities, or set them on/off differently for one pawn.

What do y'all think?
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

REMworlder

Since repairing seems to take such little time, I don't think merging them would be a bad idea. Specifically, I don't see repairing causing much of a bottleneck over more important construction.

cultist

Do you plan to add more jobs?

If so, I think construction and repair could be merged without any real gameplay issues, as long as the game explains that construction also means repairing damaged structures.

If not, I don't see any particular need to shorten the work overview list.

TheSilencedScream

The only reason I could see not to would be that, since repairing takes so little time (compared to construction), we're able to allow less-essential pawns to repair without wasting the time of someone who is good at constructing AND something else.

Beyond that, I think it'd make sense for them to be together.
Quote from: Topper on August 31, 2015, 03:33:25 AM
is the sledgehammer compatible with the romance mod?
Only in Rimworld.

Darkshadow

It depends on how you would set the relative priorities, I normally set repair higher than build partly because its quicker, but also because it could be a really important building that needs repairing and given that repairing is much much cheaper than rebuilding it is likewise much more important.

While I set my builders as repairers, I often have non-builders also set to repairers. So overall I am not so keen to merge them unless you are planning on adding interesting new job types.

Ayylemao

Needs a button to forbid colonists going into hot zones then, when raiders attack you get damaged walls and everyone rushes to fix it, dying unless drafted or repair prohibited.

In fact some survival instinct for colonists would go a long way, they just don't care about the dozen pirates surrounding them.

b0rsuk

Quote from: REMworlder on March 11, 2015, 04:35:20 PM
Since repairing seems to take such little time, I don't think merging them would be a bad idea. Specifically, I don't see repairing causing much of a bottleneck over more important construction.

Wait until you REALLY REALLY want to build a broken power circuit during a siege. Your colonist will start polishing that slate wall, or repair a turret that is not powered. You can't order a drafted colonist to repair, you'd be at mercy of the AI. Or you want to build another line of defences and cover quickly, perhaps paved floors in anticipation of inferno cannons. No, they'd rather repair that wall sprayed with a minigun.

Out of combat it won't matter, but in combat it will make you pull your hair out.

You know what could be merged ? Watering pot plants could count as "cleaning". When there's a harvest, I hate seeing my farmers make a tour around the colony. Besides, both cleaning and growing pot plants is about the same thing, pleasant environment. I may have an old colonist who can't move very quickly, he wouldn't be a good fit for sowing the fields, but he'd do fine cleaning and taking care of pot plants.

elStrages

Merge the skills yes. Just make the building jobs a higher priority to repair unless a specific repair job is given to a pawn. Problem solved.

Cazakatari

The cases where I REALLY need that repair done right now are rare for me, so like others have said, as long as constructing takes priority I'm cool with it

edit:  I've changed my mind, I'd rather keep the control.  Others have mentioned making sub-categories for each job to simultaneously reduce UI clutter but expand control, Build/repair would be a good example for this.

Shinzy

for cupla days now I've had this kind of idea about if you could merge related skills under the
main skill (in like a popup window) that you could micromanage if you want to

something like this? if what I'm after is clear enough ;D

because for those who really, really want to micro every step of the way for their minions
you'get the pros of saving space *and* get rid of the cons

But I do not know how easy/hard/simple/complex that is to pull off?

Edit: OH and yes! I am for bundling things up! but I also dislike losing any options
Edit: You could possibly bundle up things like plant cutting/planting
and and then even branch out the crafting skill more
*Gleamy hopeful eyes*

ctgill

I could see it working if repairing was an unlisted priority over construction. So if a pawn is standing near a blueprint and a damaged building with the construction priority set to 1, they would repair first then build.
Yes. Yes, this is a fertile land, and we will thrive. We will rule over all this land, and we will call it... "This Land.".

Mathenaut

I'd say yes. Just so long as we have context-sensitive commands when we right-click something.

As was mentioned before, I'd like to be able to force repair/construction when it's needed.

Or even better, you can implement the new skill lock system, so we don't have our best builders doing pleb work instead of building.

Woyzeck

I vote nay. Aside from already voiced concerns, having repair and construction separate is really useful for training-up those colonists who have a talent for building, but a low skill - they do repair work, -without- clogging up construction jobs that can be done faster by already-skilled colonists. It's their apprenticeship, as it were.

Vexare

Quote from: TheSilencedScream on March 11, 2015, 04:41:47 PM
The only reason I could see not to would be that, since repairing takes so little time (compared to construction), we're able to allow less-essential pawns to repair without wasting the time of someone who is good at constructing AND something else.

Beyond that, I think it'd make sense for them to be together.

The fast time it takes to repair is, to me, the reason they *could* be merged since it's not that huge of a burden for my builders to do the same job. My only concern is how to prioritize repairing over building in time of siege. I don't want to have to cancel all upcoming queued building jobs because they do that and disregard badly needed electrical repairs instead.

So after careful thought, my answer is no, do not merge them. I want to be able to prioritize them separately depending on the situation my colonists are in.

BetaSpectre

While I prefer having choice...I usually use both at the same time anyway.
IMO there are times when I don't want repairs but do want construction. Usually when making traps though.

If there was a forbid repair option then I'd say yes merge.
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░─╤▌██ |
░░░░░░░░─╤▂▃▃▄▄▄███████▄▃|
▂█▃▃▅▅███/█████\█[<BSS>█\███▅▅▅▃▂
◥████████████████████████████████◤
                           TO WAR WE GO