Brain Fixing

Started by StarBlazer, March 12, 2015, 04:10:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

StarBlazer

You would think that in 5500 there would be something to fix a brain, or even an artificial brain.I would think that there would be a way,maybe only on glittertech planets,but a way to fix the brain when its damaged. Maybe like a computer thing to upload a character's personality for a one time use to be able to put that personality into a persona core (or something else) and replaced that with the brain. Of course it would probably have to be pretty expensive since a brain is no easy thing. Might need to iron out details and the idea.

Darkhymn

Probably won't happen.
Quote from: durann31[...]will there be a way to fix brain damage in the future???
Quote from: TynanProbably not. If everything's fixable, nothing's tragic.

b0rsuk

Rimworld is by definition a remote planet. Unless there are glitterworld surgeons visiting your colony and bringing their operating tables and diagnostic machines with them, how should that happen ? High tech stuff needs high tech infrastructure and tools.

Gennadios

I really like the brain fixing with an AI core mod mechanic.

The thing is, getting a core alone costs the player enough to keep the brain surgery from getting op. The crashed ship part event is pretty much the most destructive one, a single repaired brain costs limbs and colonists.

Plus, it could always wipe/reallocate flames, skills, and traits, so that the stats of the colonist you're working on wont actually be the ones you get.

Great tragedy stories involve getting what you want with a cost, and the cost is already built in.

Mathenaut

Probably won't happen.

The only real tragedy is that they didn't just die, so I have to harvest organs and end them myself, then just pretend they died better than that.

SSS

I have an even better idea, which I think could stick it to players even more.

Treat brain damage like a coma: It's possible they'll eventually wake up and go back to normal, but it won't necessarily happen. If it does happen, it could take anywhere from a few weeks to decades. While the vast majority of players wouldn't see the latter even if it were possible, so allowing the former on rare occasions might make people second-guess organ harvesting and killing their best and/or favorite pawn. What if they would have woke up? Doesn't that mean they really did just kill their pawn, rather than "mercy killing" them?

It has the potential to connect the player to the story better, I think, since colonists might be reluctant to kill their friend as well. It also makes scenarios where the colonist in question never wakes up even more tragic, I think.

Mathenaut

This.. is interesting. Severely reduce the resource intake of colonists in a coma (as would be proper) and I admit, I would be tempted to sideline someone instead of retiring them.

I suppose alternatively it could just be a variation of the recruit system, where a doctor has a change to revive the patient on regular interactions.

Darkhymn

Am I the only person with a fondness for my brain damaged colonists? I usually make them cleaners and crafters/artists and let them derp around the base doing the things none of my healthier colonists can be bothered to do. I currently have a one-eyed brain 2/10 former raider who just makes art all day and sweeps up rubble. He exists to beautify the colony, and I like him that way.

I do like the idea of comas, though. It would add a little drama and tension to brain damage, particularly from the perspective of the players who don't get into that as much and just murder anything not actively useful (^_^). The potential for a recovery could definitely stay their hands.

giannikampa

I would allow the brain fix as well, but, as said by SSS, it sholud be expensive and random.
So I'd accept as reasonable a solution like this:

- braindamaged person goes in a cryptosleep casket,

- casket has to be connected to powerline and absorbs energy, if there is no power the process is freezed,

- a researcher has to man the casket periodically (every 5 days?), this will cost some work to the researcher, this will simulate the setup of the casket, if this doesn't happen the process is freezed,

- manning the casket costs glitterworld medicines (3 per time?), if there are no medicine the process is freezed,

- every time this job is completed there is a very rare chance slightly depending on the researching ability that the patient wakes up and the damage is fixed.

- the wake up can't happen before the 6th month and may never happen.

I'd apply this concept to all the elderly related problems, maybe with higher chances and lower minimum tme of success, but they should turn up next year with ordinary chance.
This would give a reason for the researchers to exist all the time.
And as always.. sorry for my bad english

Mathenaut

Quote from: giannikampa on March 15, 2015, 07:14:35 AM
I would allow the brain fix as well, but, as said by SSS, it sholud be expensive and random.

He didn't say that, and for good reason. If you're wanting a system like this to even functionally exist for alot of players, then you can't make the cost and effort so exorbitant that it's easier to just scrap and get a new colonist.

giannikampa

Well, my suggestion has extreme costs because the player should deeply think if and when to take this direction but, IMO, it should not be a routine. Don't forget Tynan added on purpose events from where you can't go back. I just wanted point that as a player I'd do so much effort to have my best colonists back in the game. Of course there is wide range for balancing through numbers.
And as always.. sorry for my bad english

Woyzeck

I'm with Tynan on this one, mostly.

However, the human brain is a very adaptive sucker. A workable system might be to give brain wounds a chance to heal by rolling a die for each point, odds improved by keeping the colonist in bed and receiving treatment periodically, and effected by doctoring skill of the attending colonist - roughly like how illness treatment currently works. I would also suggest giving a bonus to those with Steadfast and Iron Will traits. There would, however, also be a time-limit on the period during which damage can heal - say one month per point. I.e. with every month that passes, one point of brain damage becomes permanent. 2/10 brain damage? An Iron Willed colonist with a good doctor has a chance to recover most, but very unlikely all of their former ability. But if conditions are rough, you don't have a good enough doctor, you can't get them the right treatment in time, that Iron Willed, sharp-shooting former rock of your community is likely going to be sweeping floors for the rest of their life.

If you want tragedy, "We could have saved them if only..." is as bad as it gets - a situation were something could have been done, but wasn't. Or when you have the resources, and do try, and invest the time and resources, but the RNG simply turns against you anyway.

Monkfish

Quote from: Woyzeck on March 16, 2015, 06:51:19 PM
I'm with Tynan on this one, mostly.

However, the human brain is a very adaptive sucker. A workable system might be to give brain wounds a chance to heal by rolling a die for each point, odds improved by keeping the colonist in bed and receiving treatment periodically, and effected by doctoring skill of the attending colonist - roughly like how illness treatment currently works. I would also suggest giving a bonus to those with Steadfast and Iron Will traits. There would, however, also be a time-limit on the period during which damage can heal - say one month per point. I.e. with every month that passes, one point of brain damage becomes permanent. 2/10 brain damage? An Iron Willed colonist with a good doctor has a chance to recover most, but very unlikely all of their former ability. But if conditions are rough, you don't have a good enough doctor, you can't get them the right treatment in time, that Iron Willed, sharp-shooting former rock of your community is likely going to be sweeping floors for the rest of their life.

If you want tragedy, "We could have saved them if only..." is as bad as it gets - a situation were something could have been done, but wasn't. Or when you have the resources, and do try, and invest the time and resources, but the RNG simply turns against you anyway.

Gets my vote A+1 would buy again!!1!internet
<insert witty signature here>

Mathenaut

Quote from: Woyzeck on March 16, 2015, 06:51:19 PMIf you want tragedy, "We could have saved them if only..." is as bad as it gets - a situation were something could have been done, but wasn't. Or when you have the resources, and do try, and invest the time and resources, but the RNG simply turns against you anyway.

Not only is 'screwed by RNG' not tragic, it's pretty much the impetus behind savescumming. So far, SSS has offered the only compelling alternative to scrapping a brain-dead colonist that may as well have just died.

TSO

I'd imagine brain surgery to be a extreme advance age in rim world... I was imagining the ship building perhaps be utilized in a sorta FTL knock off space exploring and landing with the taken colonists on new planets to start new colony's and relationships... perhaps new biome's and challenges to overcome...

but that's what I'd imagine from a developer perspective... I would like to simply go full bionic at some point...