How did the steel get in the ground?

Started by Silvador, March 12, 2015, 06:56:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silvador

I don't really consider it and issue, just a curiosity that has crossed my mind.

Unless my basic science is failing me, Steel is an alloy, manufactured and not naturally occurring. So how did it get into the hillsides and mountains to be mined? I've never heard of Plasteel until this game, but I'm willing to bet it's probably not a naturally occurring substance either.

Do you guys think there is some kind of tale behind how much unnatural metal wound up buried under tons of earth and stone? Or might it be a placeholder for more in-depth metallurgy to come later on?

skullywag

ancient structures and ships....i think that was it.
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

Vonholtz

I agree with you but two things to remember. First it is a game and in alpha. So maybe down the road you will mine iron ore and work from there. Next it a different planet. So yes all we know here on earth said it works the way we know it dose here. But who knows out there on another world maybe they will have a beer river and a chocolate mine.  :)

b0rsuk

I believe Rimworld is taking some shortcuts for the sake of gameplay. For instance, there used to be a sawmill, and it would cut wood into planks. But it didn't add to the enjoyment, you just had one extra step to go through.

Plasteel is a Dune reference, just like energy shields which stops fast-moving objects (missiles) but not melee blows. There are also spice miners.
The origin of plasteel is never mentioned in the book, it's just said that it's super tough.

Mathenaut

Pretty much what b0rsuk said. It's only saving a step between smelting, which doesn't really add anything.

SSS

I've wondered about this too, but as others have said, realism doesn't always enhance gameplay (or storytelling). I find the plasteel ores to be a bit more suspension-breaking, but they're still pretty fun/awesome to find.

Ore mining is fun, tbh. Steel is pretty common, but finding silver, gold, or plasteel is all fun. I like having my subtle "rainbow mountains" with marble, limestone, and granite everywhere too. :3

DNK

Quote from: Mathenaut on March 12, 2015, 07:51:39 PM
Pretty much what b0rsuk said. It's only saving a step between smelting, which doesn't really add anything.
I think it does.

Mathenaut

There's probably a mod for it. There's mods that increase research times and require mills for turning cotton into thread too.

Darkhymn

I found out last night that apparently the steel and plasteel aren't ores at all, but collapsed and compacted ancient structures. It's in the info tabs for the mineable compacted metals. Even in that context it's a bit flimsy and messes with my suspension of disbelief, but at least there is a lore explanation for it.

Silvador

Quote from: Darkhymn on March 13, 2015, 12:35:17 AM
I found out last night that apparently the steel and plasteel aren't ores at all, but collapsed and compacted ancient structures. It's in the info tabs for the mineable compacted metals. Even in that context it's a bit flimsy and messes with my suspension of disbelief, but at least there is a lore explanation for it.

Is this in game or on the wiki? Don't think I've come across that explanation. Guess I missed it.

BetaSpectre

IMO there should be more expansion into ancient structures.
Mountain rock can't become steel. Steel can't become slate/limestone.

Instead of mining for ores maybe it could be mining into ancient structures like those cryo pods with some adventure like breaking into an ancient store room.

Mining goes down into the earth. Not side into a mountain more often than not IMO. If anything mining should work like growing to father from ore deposits. With construction being used to break mountains or ancient structures.
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░─╤▌██ |
░░░░░░░░─╤▂▃▃▄▄▄███████▄▃|
▂█▃▃▅▅███/█████\█[<BSS>█\███▅▅▅▃▂
◥████████████████████████████████◤
                           TO WAR WE GO

Darkhymn

Quote from: Silvador on March 13, 2015, 01:09:20 AM
-snip-

Is this in game or on the wiki? Don't think I've come across that explanation. Guess I missed it.

In-game, select compacted steel or plasteel, and in the info panel in the bottom left corner, click on the little 'i' icon. IT opens up a short description that mentions this. I went looking yesterday after another forumite made me aware of it.

Silvador

Quote from: Darkhymn on March 13, 2015, 01:51:12 AM
-snip-

In-game, select compacted steel or plasteel, and in the info panel in the bottom left corner, click on the little 'i' icon. IT opens up a short description that mentions this. I went looking yesterday after another forumite made me aware of it.

Thanks! I'll be honest, I haven't really read the description for much of the more... basic things in the game. I mean, why would one typically have reason to read the description of a chair, or some wooden logs? lol

NoImageAvailable

Quote from: Darkhymn on March 13, 2015, 01:51:12 AM
-snip-

This information really needs to be more visible considering the amount of threads that pop up asking about this.
"The power of friendship destroyed the jellyfish."

Akyla

Flimsy??

Have you noticed how often stuff comes falling out of the sky?
Now imagine how that would accumulate over hundreds of years...

:P