Fire in the freezer? Pah.

Started by BugPowderDust, March 13, 2015, 01:52:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BugPowderDust

Here's a short story about my colony, Crashville.

I was getting pretty confident, I had 12 colonists, a decent killbox and nothing could really touch me. Besiegers were goaded with a couple of snipers, shooting them dead or just luring them into my killbox. Mechs, pah, no troubles.

Until...a local outlander gang besieged me with 2 incendiary mortars during a dry spell. I wasn't quite quick enough with my snipers, got a bit complacent, and they landed TWO shells into my freezer, where I stored food and body parts.

Ohhh crap. It goes up like an inferno, by the time my sleeping colonists get in there, the flames are devouring hungrily. I fail to notice that the heat inside is about 600 degrees. My colonists go inside to fight the flames, and immediate burst into flames and run outside. I don't twig this is due to the heat, and assume it's just bad RNG that they get set alight by (what I assume is ) normal firefighting.

Once extinguished, the priority meter forces them back inside, where they catch fire again. To my horror. I run colonists inside to rescue the fallen, and they get set on fire. This is a nightmare!

All the while, mortars are falling, fires are being started, but thank god the rain comes.

I am losing colonists, only a few are left to drag the unconscious burn victims to the hospital. I dezone the freezer, let it burn! Then I realise, the temperature is the problem, so with a single colonist left standing, I deconstruct a couple of wall pieces, it turns to 'outside' and the heat drops. My base is ablaze, but nothing critical fortunately. The rains douse the the rest, the besiegers sleep, and I have learned a valuable lesson. I lost 2 colonists, all my food and body parts that were stored. The rest of my colonists are incapacitated or badly burned. Fortunately, Ashley, a Surgeon, is left mostly unscathed, and we heal.

In the morning, the besiegers decide to attack, and my killbox takes vengeance.

I love this game.

Dive

Nice story, RIP brave firefighters.
Btw, it's possible to instantly remove roof to let some heat out (at least in A8)

BugPowderDust

Thanks- i completely forgot about the No Roof zone!! Doh!