What happens after you leave?

Started by Mathenaut, March 12, 2015, 07:56:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mathenaut

Running a curious experiment.

I just finished my tundra biome run on randy, which I also used to test the 'realistic combat' mod.

Awkwardly enough, I never had a crash and just ended up buying an AI core from a trader after selling some well-made art. Was fun.

I noticed the 'keep playing' option at the end, though. Was never sure what the point was. So here I am, just leaving it open on max speed to see what happens to the colony over time.

SSS

It would be interesting if the colony was still raided for whatever reason.

Other than that, I suppose dry thunderstorms would eventually burn it down. Colonies encased in natural rock would last quite a lot longer barring raids, though.

It'd be neat if Tynan threw some Easter Eggs in there at some point. Oh, and I've heard that the game can keep going if you somehow come across the rare "colonist joined" event after the initial batch leave.

Mathenaut

I need a better way to load screenshots but that's sort of exactly what happened.

The different factions will even fight each other. In this case, it's a hilariously gripping story of how pirates fought to retake the remains from a group of Mechanoids that were tearing through it.

Silvador

I asked in another thread if it's possible for new colonists to join after all your colonists have died and/or left, and was told that the "random person has come by and are joining the colony" event still can happen.

Yet to actually have this happen for me, yet. Buuuuuut, I have one colony that has succumbed to its first winter and only has one survivor, and another colony that was halted before it could even being by mechanoids. I intend to see how each will progress.

Mathenaut

The colony was facetiously named 'We Landed' (lol Tynan). There's a fun little story about how the surviving crew of 3 became a group of 6 and managed their way off the planet. Though, this isn't their story.

This is a story of The Landing. A resource-rich installation abandoned in the off-corner of the planet. Resources that alot of people were after.

This is a story of war.

Pirates first and quick to begin their pillaging. Easy pickings, they thought. Alas, they did not manage well against the still-active turret arrays.

For the Mechanoids, it was different. There were losses, but the tank-like centipedes made short work of the turrets and proceeded to rummage their way though. Though, the pirates were not so easily discouraged.

The initial raids were warded off, though the pirates returned in force. Just as they thought to secure a victory, Mechanoid reinforcements all but wiped the Pirates out, to the man.

Mathenaut

With a number of centipedes and scythers now entrenched in the ruins of the old colony, it did not seem like a frontal assault would work. So the pirates laid siege.

They laid alot of siege.

There were massive, multi-battery siege emplacements to the north and southwest that just rained fire and fury, metal and vengeance upon the Mechanoids. Some of them faltered, though mostly they endured.

Then there was an odd incident when all of the elk went psychotic. The southern emplacement was being overrun. Mostly, it wasn't that big of a problem and they would have had it.. if the northern battery didn't try to help out.

Didn't end well.

Mathenaut

In over a week of fighting, the pirates finally managed a victory.. of sorts.

War never changes.

Darkhymn

Oh my gosh. This would so liven up the stories board! Get over there! Quick! I have to try this sometime :)

lusername

Heh, now we need a Temple of Doom challenge: Design a fort that will continue to stand and kill all who try to enter after you leave, until you receive replacements.

Darkhymn

Quote from: lusername on March 13, 2015, 03:03:04 AM
Heh, now we need a Temple of Doom challenge: Design a fort that will continue to stand and kill all who try to enter after you leave, until you receive replacements.
Ha! I like it. LANDMINES EVERYWHERE!

Silvador

This is now my primary goal for all colonies. At the center I shall build a temple, there I shall place much value and danger. All who enter without permission shall perish!
At least until a short circuit breaks my power grid and turns off all my turrets.

Darkhymn

Quote from: Silvador on March 13, 2015, 03:32:02 AM

This is now my primary goal for all colonies. At the center I shall build a temple, there I shall place much value and danger. All who enter without permission shall perish!
At least until a short circuit breaks my power grid and turns off all my turrets.

Redundancy! In A9, you can still turn switches on and off without any colonists, so you could have banks of charged batteries nearby and redundant wiring.

lusername

Or just not have batteries at all. I mean, previously you had a power grid that was powering your air conditioning, heating, and lights. Now you don't need those things anymore, so have your guys turn off the lights before they go, and the only thing that your geothermal plants will be powering is the guns. Who cares if the food goes bad, nobody's around to eat...

BetaSpectre

Pawns come. Fight. And leave.
If you get the lucky colonist pawn joined colony event then you can start over.

Probs gonna be living off of berries until the farms come back.
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░─╤▌██ |
░░░░░░░░─╤▂▃▃▄▄▄███████▄▃|
▂█▃▃▅▅███/█████\█[<BSS>█\███▅▅▅▃▂
◥████████████████████████████████◤
                           TO WAR WE GO

Novellum

Quote from: BetaSpectre on March 13, 2015, 05:56:25 AM
Pawns come. Fight. And leave.
If you get the lucky colonist pawn joined colony event then you can start over.

Probs gonna be living off of berries until the farms come back.
Or even buy some survival meals and lock them away.