[1.3.0] Hospitality

Started by Orion, March 13, 2015, 11:19:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lethe

Quote from: Orion on February 23, 2018, 09:31:09 AM
- New: Option to disable crafting or artistic work for guests (set by default)
- New: Visitors will now ask before arriving when there are no guest beds
- New: Translation keys for mod options
- New: Added option to disable option limits
- New: Guests will stay longer when manhunters or berserking pawns are present
- Tweak: Guests will not leave because of a wounded guest
- Fix: Clarified that sending away guests immediately won't affect relations
- Fix: Prevented error when generating map
- Fix: Visitors are now not aware of undiscovered insects or mechanoids
- Fix: Guests will not come to bases without any colonists
- Fix: Changed wanderer text to be less confusing
- Fix: Diplomats won't interrupt working guests
- Fix: Guests didn't recruit prisoners to the player's faction

>Guests will stay longer when manhunters or berserking pawns are present

Yay! I haven't ran into this, but I'm glad I won't. Same with guests working on art or crafting unfinished pieces.

>- Fix: Visitors are now not aware of undiscovered insects or mechanoids

I have ran into that and it's great it's fixed.

Hospitality is a great mod and I've been running it since I started back in a16. ;D Just out of curiosity, do you have events that will happen if we have bad enough relations with factions? Would they end up raiding us like our enemy factions do?

Thanks for all your hard work! Very happy with your mod. :D

And, just to possibly beat some dead horses again, but I'm glad you added max size limits to guests. I think remember getting 20 or more guests in earlier builds and it's nice to lower it so my colonists aren't outnumbered 3:1 by guests. I like watching and looking at everyone who comes in, so I'm personally happier with less than 14 or 16 as my max setting (I'm thinking about going lower). It makes every visit more meaningful to me to have a smaller number of guests.

Perhaps adding a new perspective to some other users asking for a minimum setting, instead of asking for a flat setting of x minimum, they're just trying to express that the algorithm for number of guests that appear isn't super awesome to them? I think currently it might be set to a uniform random number occurrence, but perhaps instead of a just a 'uniform random' option having it be a weighted calculation that deals with faction relationship + wealth of colony along with length of time colony was established for might be a nice option to have? It'd make sense to have higher number of guests if and only if your colony has been around for awhile AND is wealthy [makes it a nice tourist spot then] along with possibly having great relations with them.

It was kind of weird having my less than 2 season old colony with only my starter 3 folks get like 8-9 guests my first visit. But, I personally don't have strong feelings on the matter. It was 'weird', but fun to have so many guests and I think I doubled my colony size after that first visit lol. Thinking back on it, it'd be quite easy for users of the mod to just slowly change their max size of visitors over time. Like, I could've set it to 3 max at the beginning and slowly increased it as time went on. That's the easier solution I suppose than whipping up a fancy new formula option. I guess no one thinks of the obvious at the time.

Anywho, love the mod once again, with or without any changes to it. I never thought of having guests help out, until you added it. I think I have yet to have them help out, but it's a nice reasonable touch to add in. Also great that you added a min skill setting for it so you don't have food poisoning because someone just /had/ to help lol.

Cheers!

Orion

Thanks for the indepth review, Lethe.

If your relations go into the negative, default RimWorld raids should kick in. It actually never happened to me, so I find it hard to relate to people who complain that their guests leave unhappy. Maybe something that could use more testing.

The amount of visitors is actually determined by the storyteller. So everyone has quite a different experience of this. I could overwrite it, but never bothered, except for min/maxing.
With Cassandra I haven't had too large groups early in the game, yet.

Yeah, helping guests was a suggestion that made it on the todo list as a wild idea and eventually I got around to implement it. It was quite a lot of work, and a huge can of worms in the end. I haven't heard a lot of positive about it yet, so thanks.

Harry_Dicks

Lethe has further explained my reasoning for my thinking, allowing me to kick this dead horse one last time ;D

But that is exactly what I want to do - start with only 3 guests max, and then maybe 4 or 5, but only whenever I am ready. Also, it makes each guest that much more important to me, and I might grow attached or want to keep a specific one. Even in late game, when I've got a full colony, if I only have 2 or 3 or 4 guests comes, then each of them will stand out that much more. However if I've got 10 or 12 guests on the map, there is no way in hell I am going to be able to remember anything about anymore than 1 or 2 of them, and the rest will just become random pawns that run around my colony that I have no care about for their stay.

One more thing mentioned: events/incidents. I have been on a huge event/incident kick lately, trying to add as many to my list as possible. Check out how many I'm up to! One thing I think I noticed from Hospitality is that there are only 1 or 2 events? Visitors and raids, I believe? Anyway, would you be keen on ever adding in anymore? I'm thinking that we could come up with a ton of really interesting and unique things to happen, if you open to it! I think that new events/incidents kicking off seem to add a lot more flavor to the game.

Some stupid examples that I can think of relating to Hospitality, that could or could not require an insane amount of coding, also some new ideas are in my head about pawns leaving the colony (from the now updated Rumours and Deception for B18, download link on my thread). Some are also negative events, because personally I am okay with stuff like this to keep the games interesting, but with the option to enable/disable any of these events/ideas via the scenario editor:

Things go poorly with the particular group visiting, maybe everyone from the visiting colony starts socially fighting with pawns from your colony.

The visiting group are actually disguised pirates, which only reveal themselves after spending some time at your colony. After revealing themselves, they could try to fight your colonists from the inside of the base, where you aren't expecting it. Could it be possible they are there to just fight and kill your guys, or could they try to abduct a pawn? (The mod "Darkest Night" for RimWorld has these "night creatures" that will "carry your pawns away into the night" if they get downed around these enemies. Something similar for this event?)

The visiting group tries to befriend one of your colonists, and tries to recruit them back to their colony.

The visiting group are actually disguised pirates, but never reveal themselves. They are actually sabotaging your defences, so that when the next pirate raid (from their particular faction?) comes, half of your turrets don't work, or some of them work at half efficiency, or all of your doors are jammed and locked open, or whatever.

Visitors can now bring animals with them, which they could leave as gifts for your colony as they would normal gifts.

Visitors can now bring in diseases, which can have all sorts of different variables for how these diseases can affect your colony. Maybe the pawns are carries of an invisible headiff, which is contagious, and can affect either humans or animals, in either positive or negative ways. The result of getting sick from visitors could be time delayed, as well. Maybe the visiting group that came in the winter time ends up getting half of your colony sick in by spring time, making the yearly crop sowing schedule get all screwed up, who knows!

EDIT: Something to think about later - can you have transferable diseases in this game? Could you have them act like dirt/filth, and get tracked onto floors and different pawns(animals/everything) and get moved around the map, eventually accumulating into something (a pile of dirt/filth) but in this case into a sort of invisible contagious disease hotspot?

Canute

Quote from: Orion on February 28, 2018, 04:46:58 AM
If your relations go into the negative, default RimWorld raids should kick in. It actually never happened to me, so I find it hard to relate to people who complain that their guests leave unhappy. Maybe something that could use more testing.
I believe thats mosttimes the vault of these players. They don't know how to handle guests.
- they maybe forget to made entertain as default settings for guests
- or they forget to assign someone to neglotation.  Or some with bad social skill so they upset the guests more then they other would entertain.
- not to speak that you give your bed's temporary to guests if you didn't build enough guests beds yet.

Kori

Yeah, helping guests was a suggestion that made it on the todo list as a wild idea and eventually I got around to implement it. It was quite a lot of work, and a huge can of worms in the end. I haven't heard a lot of positive about it yet

It's a very good feature, I love it!

Lethe

Thanks for the indepth review, Lethe.

The amount of visitors is actually determined by the storyteller. So everyone has quite a different experience of this. I could overwrite it, but never bothered, except for min/maxing.
With Cassandra I haven't had too large groups early in the game, yet.

Yeah, helping guests was a suggestion that made it on the todo list as a wild idea and eventually I got around to implement it. It was quite a lot of work, and a huge can of worms in the end. I haven't heard a lot of positive about it yet, so thanks.

Oh, I didn't know it'd scale differently based on storytellers. I play with Phoebe and occasionally Randy, hence my larger sized visitors groups. I've never had guests leave unhappy. :x I suppose with higher difficulties and/or early colonies have that be more of an occurrence. I think a friend of mine had some leave unhappy guests when they couldn't socialize with their guests at all as due to crazy rimworld events were occurring to them. They've also had some guests help them out with some work around the colony and were pleased by the feature. The one thing I'd be thrilled to see is guests cleaning lol. I've restricted my guest area away from outside (indoors only) due to them tracking in mud everywhere. That helped a lot. Thankfully they don't seem to stay long enough for cabin fever to become an issue.

Tbh, I'm pretty impressed with you working three jobs and managing to mod. That sounds like some crazy awesome super powers of attention, focus and dedication.

Oops, looked like I caused Harry to kick the dead horse again lol. I imagine he has a +40 catharsis buff atm from it.
</relevancy to Orion>

<relevancy to Harry> Harry, do you play Phoebe too, or Cassandra? I think my friend has Cassandra colonies and they've had more repeat visitors than me. That's probably also controlled by the storyteller preset stuff Orion has. Do you think my manual suggestion for you to slowly toggle max guest sizes up yourself in settings could be the solution for ya?

As far as Harry's events go, I wouldn't run them personally. :x If I wanted more events and craziness I'd go to a more hardcore mode lol. But others would probably like them and it seems like you have modding experience, Harry. I don't think you'd need to work with Orion to add events that'd require hospitality to be installed for. Unless you wanted permission/blessing. I think you could probably add those things in yourself. :D

As far as sickness goes malaria, flu, plague and sleeping sickness are ingame. Along with gut worms and muscle parasites. That might be a good go-to to look into core defs about, since you seem curious about sicknesses. You could just make an event that procs off of guests visiting for one of your colonists developing those illnesses.

Harry_Dicks

On mobile so pardon the poor formatting, please. Anyway, I would alternate between Phoebe and Cassandra, and now HP Lovecraft.

But the whole guests/disguise/events/incidents are all way beyond me at the moment. I can only do xml modding, C# is a whole nother beast.

I think I'm not wording how I'm thinking about disease properly.

I'm thinking if we could actually have a "germ" model/system built into the game, that can be used to transfer these diseases and illnesses that pawns catch from one to another. If dirt/filth works the way that I understand it to, then I think with the proper skills it would be possible.

Right now (and I'm not 100% confident but this is how I'm assuming most of it works) pawns can track dirt around on their persons. This can also be "cleaned/collected" if you have the Doormats mod.

I'm thinking something like this, but instead of leaving filth/dirt everywhere, pawns could start leaving behind germs, which will have a chance of getting subsequently passing by pawns sick, or making them new carriers of these germs.

Pawns can also get new hediffs that can be invisible for a specific time, which could allow them to unknowingly be spreading a disease everywhere before they know they are sick and can receive treatment.

Orion

@Diseases: They currently work a lot like that, except that they won't hide in dirt but spread through proximity. I think it's a better design, since the player can actually see what's going on. With the dirt system it would just seem like your characters randomly become ill, with a lower chance if everything is always cleaned.

@Cleaning: Why guests don't clean is a mystery to me. It should be fixed with the hauling, but something still excludes that task.

@Guest amount: I see why smaller groups would be appealing to you. This is indeed something you can now fix yourself with the options.

@Events: I could see some events work well, but it's quite some work to make them. I can also see that some players really wouldn't want them.
So I don't think I'll be working on that anytime soon. Especially because it's a lot of work and I don't have / take a lot of time for modding anymore these days.

Harry_Dicks

New idea for further immersion, because I like to actually be away from all other factions on the world map, for role play reasons. Could we disable guests coming in winter months? The idea being, that I am so far and remote, that no one could make it out there to me. I usually play on maps like the one I've posted below, and will pick a very, very remote corner by myself to play in.

Orion

That's a very specific request. I'm afraid I have to tell you to just turn visitors off when you don't want them to show up...

Harry_Dicks

Oh c'mon. You mean you don't want to go back and forth for the next few days about why you should include it as an option? ;D

Ruisuki

These pyro guests are making me want to hurt someone.

Harry_Dicks

Quote from: Ruisuki on March 08, 2018, 12:28:06 AM
These pyro guests are making me want to hurt someone.

Try the straightjacket mod from the Call of Cthulhu series.

Canute

But with the B18 straightjacket the Force function don't work anymore, do you remember ?