[1.3.0] Hospitality

Started by Orion, March 13, 2015, 11:19:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Owlchemist

Hey, just wanted to say thanks for making this mod. It really helps liven up the colony!

I did a search for "bed" on this thread, and it looks like you already want to allow guests to use guest beds. That'd be my top wish, too. Right now, my guests just plop facedown in the dining room, or hallway :P

Orion

Hague, thanks for the ideas. The current state of the mod is not because I can't come up with lots of fancy ideas, but because it takes insane amounts of time to implement anything. If I'd get paid a normal wage for the time I work on my mods in my spare time, I could quit my day job.
On top of that, working on the mods has become more of a chore than fun, because around 80% of my time now goes into updating to the latest version (and fixing resulting bugs).

So if you have any ideas how I can improve the mod with minimal changes (instead of maximal changes), I'd love to hear them.

Owlchemist, beds are high on the list. But due to a lot of hard coding in the base game around beds, it will still take a lot of work to do. Also I'm now going to focus on my other mod again for a while.

Hague

Okay, well, the idea behind a visitor zone is nice. I know when visitors show up on the map, they have a particular place they tend to like to stand. It would be nice if we could designate that area and give us more control over how visitors are treated in particular until they decide to leave the map. It would be nice to have a good area for visitors to congregate instead of beside a mountain on the opposite side my base.

I'm sorry about your personal situation. I have a tendency to suggest over-the-top things forgetting about the personal aspect of mod development. I apologize.

NuclearStudent

Quote from: Grynnreaper on September 12, 2015, 11:52:24 AM
Had to unload this mod, negotiator tries to improve relations with everyone by default and if she fails enough I get attacked. Is there a way to make negotiator leave people alone by default? Having to change the option for every single visitor every time is a deal breaker, especially when I got orion corp visiting with a dozen plus friends.

edit- Aaaand I gotta restart because unloading this mod breaks saves...may you get an intense itch in a private place while you are in public....

It's probably been weeks since you've restarted your game, but next time, you should probably try restoring your save.

Even if you don't have any autosaves or manual saves from before your installation, you can check out the properties, and from there, click on restore. That's PC advice, but I'm pretty sure Mac has some sort of feature similar to that as well..

Orion

Quote from: Hague on September 29, 2015, 07:48:03 PM
Okay, well, the idea behind a visitor zone is nice. I know when visitors show up on the map, they have a particular place they tend to like to stand. It would be nice if we could designate that area and give us more control over how visitors are treated in particular until they decide to leave the map.
It's true, and something like it is on the feature list for some time already. How about an object you can place that will increase visitor popularity for the particular spot/room?

Right now I have an algorithm that determines the most suitable room for the visitors, with their preference being large rooms, with lots of unassigned beds. I could (fairly easily) add a new object type that raises a room's suitability for visitors. Do you have an idea what such an object could be to fit the theme of RimWorld? Maybe something it would make sense to have multiple of. Something that would logically improve the quality of the visitors' stay. Something that players would intuitively associate with visitors.

Quote from: Hague on September 29, 2015, 07:48:03 PM
I'm sorry about your personal situation. I have a tendency to suggest over-the-top things forgetting about the personal aspect of mod development. I apologize.
It's okay. When it gets too stressful I can be defensive when it comes to even more stuff to do. Sometimes there are nice ideas that are not hard to implement but add a lot.

LanMc

First I want to say how much I absolutely love this mod!  Orion, my Rimworld experience is better because of you.  Thank you!!!! 

Quote from: Orion on September 30, 2015, 09:51:50 AM
It's true, and something like it is on the feature list for some time already. How about an object you can place that will increase visitor popularity for the particular spot/room?

Right now I have an algorithm that determines the most suitable room for the visitors, with their preference being large rooms, with lots of unassigned beds. I could (fairly easily) add a new object type that raises a room's suitability for visitors. Do you have an idea what such an object could be to fit the theme of RimWorld? Maybe something it would make sense to have multiple of. Something that would logically improve the quality of the visitors' stay. Something that players would intuitively associate with visitors.

I am racking my brain for ideas, but the stuff I come up with are pretty standard for the game already...  Maybe a specific bed made just for visitors?  Or bed assignments like how we can designate areas for prisoners?  A chest (for visitors alone) or something similar that could infer personal storage, or ownership, that can be placed beside empty beds?  Some kind of joy object that would act like an attraction, specifically to attract visitors?  A planter with a specific kind of tree or flower?  It could be a new friendship plant of some kind...  But now I am getting away from the stuff that is already in the game...  My goal isn't to make it harder on you, but to find a simpler solution. 

Basically what I am saying is it would be easier to use something already in the game and assign visitor priority to it would it... That way there is no need to create something new.  Or does that complicate things?
Hi, my name is Lan and I am a Rimworld addict...

Hague

How about a bar? I mean, if RimWorld is based off Firefly, then a bar that acts as a stockpile for beer/booze type items would draw the most visitors who are thirsty from their time on the trail. I'm not sure if you can control what the travelers do, but it would be ideal for non-teetotaler visitors to grab a brew or meal stockpiled in a bar and drop some silver. I notice that a few visitors already come with some silver of their own, so maybe some kinda code to make these visitors drop silver equivalent to the value of an item they consume inside the "hospitality room." Then the player will have some incentive for putting valuable meals or booze inside this room and visitors will feel more like visitors.

Orion

So far I've always considered the guest room as some sort of "sleeping hall", since that's what they do - they come over, go to sleep, leave again. I've been trying to get them to do anything else, but it has proven difficult. I'll have to throw some more time at it, at some point. The problem is, that this also keeps me from getting them to do anything but sleep on the ground - use beds, chairs, consume objects...

Creating a bed designation like for prisoners would be great. It looks like quite some work to pull off, both prison stuff and medical stuff has a lot of hardcoding. But maybe it's possible. So far I'd not be able to get them to sleep in the beds, though.

I do like the bar idea. It'd give beer another purpose, if visiting factions like you more for the amount of beer they consumed, next to how much you annoyed them with talk. So to improve relationships you'd have to have someone operate the bar and large quantities of beer. Maybe you could even set the price of beer on the bar object, and choose between making money or gaining relationship.
Again, I'd have to get them to do custom actions to pull it off, plus there's some complexity in getting the bar object to work well...

So for now, a third alternative would be good, to designate a room as a visiting target.

Hague

Wouldn't the bar object itself be a designator for the visiting room? Could be a placeholder for now but just putting the bar object in the room would change the room type to "Lounge" or "Meeting Hall" or something like that and visitors would tend to congregate inside that room type? Doesn't need to be a bar either, could be a flag pole or a fire pit or something too but the bar thing would definitely leave it open for expansion later.

Orion

The only issue I have with the bar (apart from requiring extra functionality) is that it's weird to have a bar in the room that the guests sleep over in. So as a temporary solution it is odd. Then lockers / chests would make more sense.

rina_m

a consistent and aggravating bug...
v1.08
can't contact other factions to request military aid.
error pops up when negotiator steps up to the console.

(screen attached)

[attachment deleted due to age]

Orion

Hmm... what a strange one. Thanks for reporting it in. It's really hard to read - could you maybe send me the debug_log file from the game folder?

naxili

Quote from: Orion on September 30, 2015, 09:51:50 AM
Right now I have an algorithm that determines the most suitable room for the visitors, with their preference being large rooms, with lots of unassigned beds.

Amusingly (for me, at least) animal beds are being counted for this - so my visitors spend all their time in the chicken coop

TLHeart

Aw, that explains all the visitors heading for the barn in my current game, where there are 40 animal bed.  Makes for a very crowded room full of visitors, animals and wardens.

Owlchemist

Quote from: TLHeart on October 07, 2015, 01:39:22 AM
Aw, that explains all the visitors heading for the barn in my current game, where there are 40 animal bed.  Makes for a very crowded room full of visitors, animals and wardens.

Lol, likewise, my visitors head for my warehouse. It's by far the biggest room at the colony. No beds though D: