[1.3.0] Hospitality

Started by Orion, March 13, 2015, 11:19:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

irotsoma

Quote from: Orion on October 30, 2015, 04:23:11 AM
Maybe you could look into why they're staying outside. I made them pick the most fancy room that is not someone's bedroom. So chances are if you have an enclosed outside area stock-full with gold and uranium that it they would go there. Usually it's not an issue, since other trading items make the room ugly.

Eventually I'll add some form of marker to specify more clearly which room(s) are meant for visitors, but for now this seemed fine for most cases.

Yeah, I'll dig into that side of the code and see if I can figure out what's up.  I do usually have caches scattered around the map that only have a trade beacon and the appropriately sized stockpile.  Those are usually removed from my home area, but maybe they are trying to stay half way between one or more of those and my actual base. 

I mainly do that so that if there's a big battle far from my base, I don't have to lug all of the loot back to my main base.  Later in the game I even put a hauler robot from MAI mod in the caches.  It makes the loot get there faster and thus rot less.  Those caches may have some attractive things once in a while, but usually it's just weapons and apparel from the dead enemies for later trading.  So maybe they don't want to be inside, but something is drawing them near it and away from the base?  That's really a total wild guess before I look at the code, but it's the only odd thing I do...I think.

Anyway, if I figure anything out I'll be sure to let you know so you can account for it in the mod.  It might be a while since I'm working on a modlist + patches to replace the Ultimate Overhaul Modpack that I had been using.  After I'm done with that I'll look more into this issue, because I really think this mod is a must have.

Thanks, again!

Orion

Quote from: Shadou on November 01, 2015, 08:22:48 AM
In one of my games, I had one faction that would always want to hang around in the animals' area, where I have all my animal sleeping boxes, and another faction wanted to hang around in my hospital (and all squeezed into that 6x6 room and complained about how cramped it was). And unless there's been an update, I'm pretty sure this mod is still incompatible with Mending.

Just an idea here: Maybe you could set up weights for objects for visitor preference on where to hang out?
Have the visitors compare each room and decide which room has the best amenities as listed above, and all gather there. This would allow the player to build a sort of guest room for visitors.

[..] or just exclude room types Jail, Barn, and Hospital.
Actually, it already works a bit like that. There's a roomscore which is increased or decreased based on room type and multiplied with the overall quality of the room. Beds are specifically taken into account (because owned beds are a no-go), but I wouldn't want to check for every kind of item specifically.

I'm surprised it goes so wrong with a lot of people. What would be helpful is a screenshot of the room the visitors are staying in, with the room-tooltip turned on (where you can see room type and scores).

Quote from: LanMc on November 01, 2015, 12:47:12 PM
We can assign beds to colonists and prisoners... how difficult would it be to assign beds to "visitors" and "guests" too?  Couldn't it work similar to how the prison assignments happen?  Couldn't the bed assignments create an area, much like the prison beds do, where guests/visitors would be flagged to go?
You'd be surprised how difficult it is.

LanMc

Quote from: Orion on November 02, 2015, 02:56:12 AM
Quote from: LanMc on November 01, 2015, 12:47:12 PM
We can assign beds to colonists and prisoners... how difficult would it be to assign beds to "visitors" and "guests" too?  Couldn't it work similar to how the prison assignments happen?  Couldn't the bed assignments create an area, much like the prison beds do, where guests/visitors would be flagged to go?
You'd be surprised how difficult it is.

Actually...  No I wouldn't.  I've been searching the source code for a few days now trying to find where all the bed assignments happen and still haven't found it.  So yeah...  Thinking that idea might never actually work.  :(  Well?  There certainly isn't an easy way to implement it that I could find I should amend. 
Hi, my name is Lan and I am a Rimworld addict...

Orion

Quote from: LanMc on November 03, 2015, 01:11:16 PM
Actually...  No I wouldn't.  I've been searching the source code for a few days now trying to find where all the bed assignments happen and still haven't found it.  So yeah...  Thinking that idea might never actually work.  :(  Well?  There certainly isn't an easy way to implement it that I could find I should amend. 

It's not completely out of the question, albeit difficult. Probably it will come down to creating a custom "visitor bed" object and replicate the sleeping behavior for visitors, using these.

hazey_sunshine

So, I went on a bit of a mod rampage last night and added in a load of new stuff. On starting a new game (new world, etc) with everything activated, it all seemed fine until I clicked on a pawn. Clicking on a pawn made the screen red & orange, click on anything else - menus, items etc- it went back to normal. On clicking through pawns status tabs it threw up blue copies behind of what had previously been looked at which could only be removed by clicking the game menu.
I played around with it for a while on fresh games, removing single mods until it stopped happening and it seemed it was Hospitality that was causing the bugs.
(Mod list is what I'm currently using on a working game with no bugs, only difference on the bugged games was adding in Hospitality)

[attachment deleted due to age]

irotsoma

Quote from: hazey_sunshine on November 09, 2015, 07:12:09 AM
So, I went on a bit of a mod rampage last night and added in a load of new stuff. On starting a new game (new world, etc) with everything activated, it all seemed fine until I clicked on a pawn. Clicking on a pawn made the screen red & orange, click on anything else - menus, items etc- it went back to normal. On clicking through pawns status tabs it threw up blue copies behind of what had previously been looked at which could only be removed by clicking the game menu.
I played around with it for a while on fresh games, removing single mods until it stopped happening and it seemed it was Hospitality that was causing the bugs.
(Mod list is what I'm currently using on a working game with no bugs, only difference on the bugged games was adding in Hospitality)

Are you running alpha 12d (latest) Rimworld?  If so, I think your main problem is you seem to be running version 1.04a of Hospitality according to the screenshot.  I believe that was for alpha 10 of Rimworld and probably incompatible.  Try grabbing the latest version (1.08) from the first post of this thread.

hazey_sunshine

Quote from: irotsoma on November 09, 2015, 12:46:44 PM
Are you running alpha 12d (latest) Rimworld?  If so, I think your main problem is you seem to be running version 1.04a of Hospitality according to the screenshot.  I believe that was for alpha 10 of Rimworld and probably incompatible.  Try grabbing the latest version (1.08) from the first post of this thread.
Ahh, oops! Yep, that would probably be the problem! Wasn't paying attention to the file names on dropbox and just grabbed the top one, which is obviously the oldest one... Thank you for the heads up :)

Orion

Good one! I added a folder for old versions, so now only the latest version will be in the main folder on Dropbox.

LittleGreenStone

I have a...problem.

"-visitors choose their staying room more intelligently"

I'm not sure if it's intended or not, but visitors are always visiting my barn. It's the closest closed room with heaters. It's often crowded and filthy, I've had visitors going nuts in there.

If it's not a bug, would it be possible for visitors to gather around tables, like colonists do? Or come to a previously designated area, like tamed animals?

Orion

Quote from: LittleGreenStone on December 15, 2015, 03:24:50 AM
If it's not a bug, would it be possible for visitors to gather around tables, like colonists do? Or come to a previously designated area, like tamed animals?
It seems like it's the most appealing room you have for visitors. If you use the room info tool you can see how attractive the rooms in your base are and compare scores.

Gathering around tables and such is a goal, but the way visitors are made right now, I didn't manage to get it to work yet. Designated area would be nice too, but again, it goes pretty deep into how visitors work.
So as a temporary solution I want to add an object that clearly marks the room as a visitor room. I couldn't think of anything yet that fits the theme and makes sense for a guest room, though. Someone suggested a bar, which I like the most, but of course people will expect it to work as well, then. Another one could be guest beds.

Unfortunately, modding Rimworld has slowly slid down my priority list, because I don't have the energy and time to tackle all my projects anymore. So with every fix and feature I have to see how to implement it with the least time necessary for the biggest effect.

LittleGreenStone

Quote from: Orion on December 17, 2015, 03:01:20 AM
Quote from: LittleGreenStone on December 15, 2015, 03:24:50 AM
It seems like it's the most appealing room you have for visitors. If you use the room info tool you can see how attractive the rooms in your base are and compare scores.

Gathering around tables and such is a goal, but the way visitors are made right now, I didn't manage to get it to work yet. Designated area would be nice too, but again, it goes pretty deep into how visitors work.
So as a temporary solution I want to add an object that clearly marks the room as a visitor room. I couldn't think of anything yet that fits the theme and makes sense for a guest room, though. Someone suggested a bar, which I like the most, but of course people will expect it to work as well, then. Another one could be guest beds.

Unfortunately, modding Rimworld has slowly slid down my priority list, because I don't have the energy and time to tackle all my projects anymore. So with every fix and feature I have to see how to implement it with the least time necessary for the biggest effect.

I see. I will check it, because it's entirely possible that my barn is the most appealing, even though it's the most appalling also. Cloth animal beds are most likely the culprit, though I thought the "crowded" and "filthy" traits/features of the room would reduce the room's attractiveness.

"So as a temporary solution I want to add an object that clearly marks the room as a visitor room"
I'd suggest either a "reception", 1, 2, maybe 3 tiles wide fancy desk with a "welcome" sign and a cactus or something,
or a fancy, electronic (or not) sign.
IMO it wouldn't need any extra features.

But as a placeholder, anything would do, the feature itself is more important IMO.

Anyway, now that I know what to improve upon, I think I'll be able to "designate" a visitor room.
Thank you for the answer!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edit:
New world and game:
Didn't work, now I really don't know how could I make visitors going to a certain room instead of the barn...again.

Certain room (hall):

• Impressiveness: 98
  • Wealth: ~16k
  • Space: 291
  • Beauty: 2.94
  • Cleanness: 0 (clean)

Barn:

• Impressiveness: 54
  • Wealth: ~6k
  • Space: 115
  • Beauty: 1.5
  • Cleanness: -1.07 (dirty)

Basically the hall is superior in every aspect, is lighted up (as opposed to the barn) and is closer to the entrance/visitor spawn point, yet they go through it to the dark, inferior barn.
That object, that clearly marks the "visitor room" would be really, really handy, with or without any fancy texture/functionality.  :(

Orion

Yikes.

There is a bonus added for unowned beds present. Maybe I forgot to check if they're for animals. That would explain the odd behavior!

LittleGreenStone

Quote from: Orion on December 25, 2015, 03:31:58 PM
Yikes.

There is a bonus added for unowned beds present. Maybe I forgot to check if they're for animals. That would explain the odd behavior!

That...kinda sounds like a quick thing to fix.
I certainly hope it is.

I hate killing the visitors I want to recruit.  ::)

Orion

Quote from: LittleGreenStone on December 25, 2015, 07:34:17 PM
That...kinda sounds like a quick thing to fix.
I certainly hope it is.

I hate killing the visitors I want to recruit.  ::)
It does! I suppose I should make a bugfix round soon and address this and some other issues.

harpo99999

at least the clue of the bed count in the room allows a manipulation of location, by a large room with a dozen sleeping spots several tables and joy items, now prevent the visitors from barning or prisonning all the time