[1.3.0] Hospitality

Started by Orion, March 13, 2015, 11:19:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Orion

Smexy_Vampire

Quote from: Orion on December 14, 2016, 01:35:56 PM
As a rule of thumb: The later, the better.
ya i got it fixed something inbetween was blocking the tab from working

faltonico

Quote from: FoxXeL on November 27, 2016, 06:19:11 AM
Hi, I have a problem. Guests keep eating my food! Is there any way to forbid them to enter a room? Or at least to use the room's doors or to forbid the meals for them.
There is a mod by which you can lock doors, it can prevent a dazing pawn to exit the room and wander around, I haven't tested it with visitors yet though, but it cannot stop a prison break for from happening, so it would probably not work, if you want to try:
Clutter Structure v1.2.4(A15)
Only the new doors you build while the mod is enabled are able to be locked.

diabLEEca

Hi there Orion, first I wanted to say I honestly admire your dedication to helping people fix their problems with your mod. Especially given that most of the problems are a result of conflicts with some other mods (as it probably is in my case as well - I installed a ton of them for A15 after playing A13 without any mods; they seemed to be working fine for quite some time but they obviously weren't...). Having said that, I feel a little bad about asking for your advice but I've been struggling with the Hospitality mod and I can't figure out what to do. I do love the possibility to recruit visitors and I really try to make them feel at home but it seems something's broken for me. I didn't notice it at first as I thought that was how the mod was supposed to work, only when it suddenly got very hard to please the guests, I took a closer look, did some research and it turned out something's very wrong there. I've gone through this whole topic searching for the issues I'm experiencing and I've found several people mentioning the same thing(s) but none of them provided you with screenshots and output logs so their problems never got fixed. :( So I'll try to get it right,  I've turned on the debugging mode, done some testing and made some screenshots that could perhaps be useful - it still seems too much to ask you for help but it sure would be great if you (or anybody else who's had these problems perhaps) could at least point me in the right direction.

The problems:

1. Some of the visitors don't have the space and beauty bars, and thus they don't get any appropriate buffs for the nice room I've made for them. The beauty and space bars appear only AFTER they've decided to leave. In such cases, I believe I am not able to recruit them at all as it keeps saying "the relation is too low to recruit". The message disappears immediately after they start leaving, with no relation change in the meantime.

2. Sometimes they don't have the "Enough beds/Lots of beds" buff either - but not always (just to be clear - within the same visiting group, some of them have a buff and others don't).

3. The visitors go straight to the rec room when they arrive but once they get to their beds, they only go out of these if they need to eat (with one guy almost starving to death as he just kept wandering outside of the room instead, even though there was plenty of food in their guest fridge and lying around all over the base - I didn't know they had to BUY the food from their fridge so the problem could have been that he didn't take meals with him and didn't have any money left after I'd traded with him, though). They go to the dining room and go back to bed with the status "resting", even though there's a beautiful and well equipped rec room right next to the dining room and not far from their guest room. They don't even want to view the art that's in their room then, even though they sometimes do it upon arrival. I've tried putting a chess table and a horseshoe pin directly in their room but it doesn't work either. Once they lie down, they just stay there until they leave.

Here's a link to my Google doc with many screenshots describing it better than words (and the full output log copied at the end of the file):
Hospitaly Mod - the Sad Story of a Bug

Below is just one of the screenshots that shows both the missing needs bars (space/beauty) and the neverending resting thing (you may notice I've tweaked the point values they get for enough/lots of beds and for being charmed by a colonist a little just to avoid getting everyone hostile, given the situation :/ - I literally jump around them all the time, cleaning every bit of dust and using EVERY opportunity to engage them in a conversation by ONLY my best social pawn and still most of the time they are awfully disappointed, not to mention it is purely impossible to recruit the guys without space and beauty bars as it always says "relationship too low")...

Steps taken:
1. I've disabled a couple of mods I wasn't using thinking they might be causing the problem. Didn't help, although I did end up with slightly fewer errors in the debug log (or at least with fewer kinds of errors). I started suspecting Powerless and Hand Me That Brick of being the culprits as they were both giving me errors. I've disabled Hand Me That Brick but it didn't change anything regarding Hospitality. Removing Powerless seems impossible mid-game at the moment. :/
2. I've tried installing a chess table and a horseshoe pin directly inside their room but they won't even look at it after they go to bed for the first time.
3. I've moved the guest room closer to the dining room and rec room but it didn't change anything at all. Both the rooms and the corridors are fully roofed and enclosed by walls and counted as "Inside".
4. I've put Hospitality mod at the end of the list (it was close to the top at first as it was one of the first ones I'd installed - it's quite famous by now ;) ). Didn't help.

The errors from the debug log:

1. Config error in POW_LogFenceGate_Blueprint: does not add to map mesh but has a link drawer. Link drawers can only work on the map mesh.
- this one is clearly related to CuproPanda's "Powerless!" mod that I actually am using a little - it seems to be impossible to disable it without breaking the map as it introduces coldstone which has already been generated somewhere around the map. It shouldn't mess with the pawns' behaviour, though, as it's purely about materials and additional stuff to build.

2. Type ModInitializer probably needs a StaticConstructorOnStartup attribute, because it has a field obj of type GameObject. All assets must be loaded in the main thread.
- no idea what this is about so I guess this might be the culprit.

3. Tried to release Thing_Cigarillos2195966 that wasn't reserved by Chimpanzee.
- that happened when Chimpanzee (one of the visitors) was buying some cigarillos stacked in the guest room. The same error happened before at least once when someone else was buying something.

All the mods I've got enabled (in order):

Core
CorePanda
AMC(1) DE Surgeries
AMC(1) Exp Prosthetics & Organ Engineering
Crash Landing
AMC(2) A Dog Said...
AMC(2) Chemicals & Neutroamine
AMC(2) Emergency Treatment
AMC(2) Improved Surgery
AMC(2) Medical Training
AMC(2) Realistic Medical System EPOE
AMC(3) Patch ADog & ISurgery
AMC(3) Patch DESurgery & ISurgery
AMC(3) Patch EPOE & ISurgery
Vegetable Garden
Powerless!
Better Traders
Make it Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger
Additional Joy Objects
Ancient Amulets
Cupro's Alloys
Cupro's Drinks
Dwarven Crafts
Expanded Power
Quarry
Extra Floors
Random Additions
AMC(4) Patch RMS EPOE & ISurgery
Modular Tables
QualityBuilder
RimFridge
ED-ReverseCycleCooler
Zen Garden
Improved Increased Stack
JTExtendedPowerArmor
JTHomemadeBionics
JTOrbital
Wildlife Tab
OSHA Compliance
MuffaloOverhaul
Animal Feed Trough V1.1 [V.G.]
CK - Animal and Plant Pack
Medical Training
Mamuffalo V1.02
RTGs
and Hospitality A15

EDIT: Oh, and I just remembered Chimpanzee was also trying to give me some Cigarillos (the ones she was just buying) so that was probably what caused the error.

Orion

Hello diabLEEca,

thanks for going all the way with your bug report! You obviously put a lot of work into it!

First of all, I can confirm the bug you found, with the missing space and beauty bars. I hadn't noticed it before, but I can clearly reproduce it in my own game. The same for the "Lots of beds" thought disappearing when they sleep.
I can also confirm that if you are a guest in Poland, you are treated like a king during dinner (I gained 10kg in weight in one week)!

Now about the relationship being too low. It's not dependent on mood. It's a total amount of relationship the visitor has to have with your colonists in order to become recruitable. The required amount is dependent on the number of colonists you already have. This does make it harder over time to recruit new visitors. If a guest has a negative relationship with some of your colonists, this will lower the relationship total.
So if one of your pawns can't raise it high enough, let another one socialize to get it even higher (especially if they are pretty / beautiful).

The warnings you are getting in the console are unrelated and no reason to worry. I get the second one too.

The error you have received could possibly happen when a guest was buying something during / after his group left. These kind of errors are a lot of work to fix, don't happen often and if they don't have game breaking consequences, I rather leave them alone than accidentally introduce even more bugs by trying to fix them.

I should make it clearer in-game how the "chance to recruit" value is raised.

I wasn't planning on fixing any more bugs before the A16 version and both bugs you pointed out don't seem game breaking enough to warrant the effort (this could easily be 1 or 2 days of work). Again, they are not the reason why you can't recruit the person you want to recruit.
As a general idea, try and make sure not to isolate guests from your colonists (unless you're colonists are ugly or abrasive). By having them around each other you will automatically raise their relationship total. If you need to quickly buff the relationship value, you could set some colonists in combat mode and have them follow the guest around. That should cause them to talk.

If you need more help, don't be afraid to let me know.

diabLEEca

Wow, that was a fast reply, thanks a lot for taking the time to look at this!

Quote from: Orion on December 17, 2016, 07:50:44 AMFirst of all, I can confirm the bug you found, with the missing space and beauty bars. I hadn't noticed it before, but I can clearly reproduce it in my own game.
I've done some more testing with two other visitor groups as well (2 x 3 people) and looking at the other screenshots (yeah, there were even more...) it seems only the visitor who's set as a trader has the space and beauty bars and buffs, whereas the rest don't. This makes the trader much easier to please (and it seemed it has something to do with the recruitment chance as well but I need to do some more testing on that). At the very least, maybe the feedback will help you eliminate this issue for A16 as I'm definitely going to continue using your mod even if it's not absolutely perfect. ;)

Quote from: OrionNow about the relationship being too low. It's not dependent on mood. It's a total amount of relationship the visitor has to have with your colonists in order to become recruitable. The required amount is dependent on the number of colonists you already have. This does make it harder over time to recruit new visitors. If a guest has a negative relationship with some of your colonists, this will lower the relationship total.
So if one of your pawns can't raise it high enough, let another one socialize to get it even higher (especially if they are pretty / beautiful).
I do believe both of these visitors were only interacting with my main negotiator following them around and it didn't show any other relationships with the rest of the colonists but Bidueiro did seem to like the negotiator more which could be why his "relationship too low" message disappeared right away, whereas Chimpanzee's message stayed there until they left. Maybe the faction relation boost that I got when they left (their expectations were pretty low this time so I managed to exceed them) made the message disappear then without any actual increase of that particular relationship with the negotiator - it was at 24 right before and right after they started leaving; the message disappeared the moment they put their hats on. Again, I'll do some more testing there. Unfortunately my other colonists suck at social skills and none of them are pretty but I'll try surrounding these guys a bit more to let them have more chit-chat at least. What I want to check is whether or not you're actually able to recruit anyone other than the trader as it would be at least good to know in advance if you can't.

Quote from: OrionI wasn't planning on fixing any more bugs before the A16 version and both bugs you pointed out don't seem game breaking enough to warrant the effort (this could easily be 1 or 2 days of work). Again, they are not the reason why you can't recruit the person you want to recruit.

Yeah, I do know how much time-consuming bug fixing can be. ;) At least I know now that it's not the other mods I should worry about as I'd probably end up disabling them one by one to find the one that's breaking things (my perfectionism can sometimes get a little out of hand with things like that...). And I can be a tiny bit proud of myself for finding some real bugs and possibly helping to make this brilliant mod even better in the future.  8)

One more question, though: is the constant resting normal? Shouldn't they be using the joy objects instead when they're already well-rested? They seem to only go for these when their joy bar actually is very low, like the slaves colonists - the slaves colonists always have something more important to do than resting, though, so maybe they would also rather stay in bed all day if their joy bar was filled and they didn't have any actual work to do. :/ I don't know, I would at least take a book to bed with me but I guess they haven't invented reading in bed yet.

Anyway, thanks for your help, I'll try surrounding these guys with my guys to brainwash them more efficiently and see if that works. ;)

Orion

The thing about the trader is definitely a good lead! That might speed up finding the issue a lot.

The "relationship too low" message will automatically disappear together with the hospitality bar, as soon as visitors "check out". Maybe I should hide the "chance to recruit" bar as well, to be more consistent.

The constant resting is normal, since they will only leave bed (once they're in) when another need gets important. I never did anything about it, since I figured it'd feel okay, with them having walked around half the globe to reach the player.

diabLEEca

Ok, I've done some more testing when the next group of visitors arrived - this time I got three ladies and none of them was marked as a trader so none of them had the space and beauty bars.

This time I surrounded them with people, hiding only the two lazybones I've got in the colony as one of the ladies was a hardworker. Followed them to the dining room to eat together, followed them to the rec room on their initial visit to try and get some casual chat. Made my people drink a lot of beer and smoke a lot of weed to stay nearby, and then drink some coffee to stay awake. They must love it when the guests come around. Would have followed them to the bathroom if there actually was any (now that I think of it, it's kind of weird that the guests stay in bed ALL day and only go out to the dining room for a moment...) Still, using only your best negotiator to build relationships (if you manage their sleep time carefully) seems to be working best as you don't get any more "real" chances to improve relations anyway with more people as negotiators, yet you risk it will go back down if someone else tries to do the job and screws it up. The chitchat didn't seem to add almost anything to the pool as they didn't seem too eager to talk, I only got a couple of extra points for that even though everyone was around so they could pick and choose. I didn't get any deep talks but I did get one last time with Bidueiro, which boosted the relationship quite a bit - guess he met his soulmate there (well too bad, he wasn't good enough to be allowed in our perfect colony - AND his soulmate is already married).
Now the ladies weren't actually good enough for our perfect colony either so I didn't have the recruitment checkbox ticked but I was able to observe it took 25 total relationship points to get that "relationship too low to recruit" message off... That's a bar set very, VERY high if you don't have any pretty face around to show off. :( I got the message turned off just a few hours before they left and still someone managed to insult that lady afterwards and bring the total back to 23 relationship points which was again too low to recruit... In theory, though, there would be a SINGLE chance to recruit this one person - which is still better than nothing. If there was by any chance a family relation there, it would have been a lot easier as there would be about 20 relationship points for a start - which makes a lot of sense. And if we weren't so average-looking, we would have had a good chance to recruit all of the ladies - which kind of makes sense as well. ;)

Regarding the points - my relations with this faction were at 59 points before they arrived and their expectations were high. I did manage to get them amazed but it took 25 points to get the "relationship too low" message off.
In my last sample, the tribe that came to visit had relations with us at 20 points and their expectations were low, yet the message was still on at 24 relationship points - which could either mean that the 25 points are a fixed value, or that the faction relations also need to be higher to make it possible to recruit someone. Still, it's good to have some kind of an estimated goal that needs to be reached. Now I need to get some pretty face to show off to the visitors. ;) I can imagine how easy it will go then...

"Hey girls, have you met Albert, the Model? Well here he is, he was just coincidentally cleaning the floor under your feet..."
"Did Cervexa insult you again? Oh, don't mind him, he's usually locked in the basement making pretty sculptures. Talking about pretty... hey, here's Albert, the Model, just casually drinking beer at your table. Why don't you talk to him?"
"Heeey, what a coincidence! You're going to eat something? Albert's also pretty hungry, aren't you, Albert? Oh yes you are, don't fool around and walk the girls to the table, off you go!"
"You're tired? Oh, what a shame... Well, Albert will make sure no mad animal walks into your room while you're resting, it doesn't matter he can't really fight, he'll just... well he'll just be standing there over your heads, just in case..."

Yeah... That would definitely work. ;)

Thanks again for your help and good luck with the A16 version, I hope the feedback will come useful. I think I know a lot more about how the mod actually works now so I should be fine. :)

faltonico

Hi there!
Question:
What can i do to be able to link your guest beds with the furniture from "more furniture" mod?

Orion

@diabLEEca, that is indeed the kind of feedback I need to better finetune the mod. Obviously A16 is going to change a lot, so it'll be getting the broad strokes right first.

About the expectations - they're actually not related to the recruitment threshold. This number (25 in your case) is based on the amount of colonists you already have.

The expectations say how much the group must like their stay for your relationship with the faction to increase. The same experience has a different impact for a faction that doesn't expect anything and a faction that has a high relationship with you.
I find it hard to make it feel logical in terms of story, but it is needed for balancing. Keeping a high relationship must be hard, while creating a positive relationship should be fairly easy.

Now that you understand how it works, maybe you have ideas how I could explain it better through the interface? I don't want people to have to read a manual to get it, as you can imagine...

@faltonico: You'll have to modify the xml file from more furniture and make it use the same class as the beds from Hospitality. That should work. So just compare the two xml definitions and see what's different.

faltonico

I ended up slapping:
          <li>Dresser</li>
          <li>EndTable</li>
          <li>EndTableLight</li>
into <li Class="CompProperties_AffectedByFacilities"> and it seems to be working, at least there is no "inactive" present in the table.

Thanks for your reply!

Hydromancerx

Will this be updated to Alpha 16? Or is there too many changes in the base game for this still to work?

Orion

I will update it, but due to the many changes at once (yay huge alphas) it will take some significant time.
To make things worse my computer broke and I can't even get started.

LycanBlackpaw

Okay...I have no idea why or how, but for some reason, my mods decided to break on me. I keep getting an error that's preventing my pawns from having random interactions, and the only thing I can see in the console is from Hospitality. This is A15

Modlist is as follows:
HugsLib
RD-Floor Beauty Rebalance
H.P. Lovecraft Storyteller (normal and double pop)
Growing Plots
Medical Tab
Animals Tab
Allow Tool
FishIndustry
[sd] bridges, chicken nest, conduit wall, goodnight, medicaddons, pillows, advanced power gen, Preapre For Fishing, round table, and spaceship (in order)
Vein Miner
Don't Drop When Psychotic
Wildlife Tab
Realistic Darkness
GHXX Tech Advancing
Stonecutting Tweak
Step Away From The Medicine
RimFridge
Refactored Work Priorities
RedistHeat
Recycle
Reasonable Lamps
Quality Builder
PetFollow
Modular Tables
Medieval Times
Mad Skills - Tiered
Animal Hoods
Improved Increased Stack
I'm The Worker Now
I Can Fix It
Hauling Hysteresis
Hand Me That Brick
Guns and Grenades Tech Removal
Grenade Fix: Rearmed
Colony Manager
Blueprints
Feed The Colonists
Crafting Hysteresis
Cooks Can Refuel
Chemicals & Neutroamine
Call of Cthulhu - Neutral Factions, Industrial Age Object Pack, Cults, Cosmic Horrors (in order)
Mad Rabbits of Caerbannog
Misc. Bees'n'Honey
Autoclose Event Notifications
EPOE
A Dog Said NoCrafting
A Dog Said EPOE patch
Realistic Medical System (EPOE)
Better Pathfinding
OSHA Compliance
Better Pawn Control
Faction Discovery
Less Incident Trolling
Less Rebuff
Hospitality
Psychology
Prepare Carefully

Yeah...I use a lot of mods >.>

The only thing I could think of causing the issue was an interaction between Less Rebuff, Hospitality, and Psychology, but I haven't been able to get it to work in any load order. If it's a world problem, this colony is only a day old, so it's not that big a loss...

Orion

Yeah it could be psychology. Hospitality injects some code so colonists will talk with guests. This is the same part of the code responsible for anyone talking with anyone else. So if another mod does something there, it'll break.