[1.3.0] Hospitality

Started by Orion, March 13, 2015, 11:19:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AngleWyrm

A Cautionary Tale from the Chicken Coop
I had a stack of 16 eggs stashed in a hatchery area inside and away from dogs and wild animals, but I hadn't considered visitors. After many days the eggs were about to hatch and when I went to look at them, they were gone! Noooooooooo! Do you have any idea how much 16 chicks are gonna cost to buy back from the visitors?

But even while I was musing over this the eggs hatched out from under the sleeping visitors. They were born wild, belonging neither to the visiting faction members nor to my own faction, so I set about taming them. Much better, and I had a good animal handler for the job.

Moral of the story: Make sure your hatchery isn't part of the guest quarters :P
My 5-point rating system: Yay, Kay, Meh, Erm, Bleh

Orion

@AngleWyrm: Haha, nice story
@Dorian: According to the latest complaints they're pretty easy to satisfy. But yes, the mod will give you penalties if you don't care.
@pinguin: It's a miracle the game generally runs that well, considering the amount of different mods people use together. But yes, expect bugs and trouble.

Ruisuki

Few questions I hope you guys can answer for me

1. Just had an event where a characters dad wanted to join "for a while" I accepted him, but is he gonna be here forever? Or eventually leave as the text suggested? Im pretty sure its from Hospitality as Ive never gotten this event before adding it.

2. I've read that vanilla A16 added the chance of a colonist being recruited via rescue. Does this mod improve that chance, or were the people saying this possibly attributing such feature to this mod, unknowingly?

3. On the items I put on guest rooms to sell...can they still be bought if I forbid them? I constantly do that with meals. High priority colonist consume them, then immediately forbid so others dont pile on the now unforbidden meal. I do this because I often have a stockpile at critical somewhere I forgot about on the map and now cant find and dont want colonists taking the things Im trying to sell to guests, back to storage.

4. If I dont try to recruit or entertain these guests I should be safe from the relation penalty yeah? Can I just tell them to leave?

5. What are some tips y'all suggest for recruiting people? Will joy items and right click-recruit suffice? Or is there more I can do?

AngleWyrm

#1: I have had joined characters from that for a while event for 3~5 seasons, and have never seen a matching closing event where they decide that for a while is over. Would be nice if that vague time limit existed, and could be fun to either encourage them to stay when they decide the probation period is over or to discourage them from staying if they weren't what you needed after all.

#3: I use storage containers for food so that I can specify what is allowed in them and what is not. That way the storage containers in the guest quarters don't contain what I don't want to sell. There's a few mods that provide food storage; the one I'm currently using is Extended Storage by Skullywag, which also includes little freezer units I like to think of as vending machines.

Canute

1. currently there is no way/event that a colonist can leave your colony. So "for a while" means "forever".

2. Orion mention somewhere he lowered the chance from "allways join" a bit. But the chance that a rescues pawn don't want to join is very low.

4. Depend on your base/guest area. If they got enough entertainment from object and nice looking furnitures they maybe enjoy their visit.
But never so much then when they got entertained by one of yours.

5. first entertrain them a few time, only happy visitors may think about to stay/join your colony. But more then to enable the flag you can't realy do.

AngleWyrm

Quote from: Canute on March 08, 2017, 02:57:33 AM
1. currently there is no way/event that a colonist can leave your colony. So "for a while" means "forever".

It's possible to code that behavior into the game though; Puffin's Rumours & Deception mod has this as a feature:

- Defection: A socially isolated colonist may, over time, decide that they're better off elsewhere. If they remain friendless, they may walk off the map and join an ally.
- Splinter: In the unlikely event that a clique of friends forms within the colony that is largely hostile to the rest, they may choose to leave together and form a new map faction. They will take some of your colony's belongings with them as they go.
- Brawl: Even if they don't leave, hostile cliques will start fights- unless you patch up your fractured colony, mass brawls will break out.

Canute

Doh, one of the few mods i never tryed.
Yes with these mod your pawns could leave, but the pawn from the join event is now part of colony. The "for a while" is just cosmetic :-)

Don't you know "for a while" mean until you kick him out or he die even at reallife ? :-)

b4d

Anyone ever tried making a large base fully walled off without any entrance (for raiders. colonist can use the doors) with a guest bed inside and experience a heavy lag after clicking on the guest bed?

tried to reproduce the issue with minimalist modlist still lags so hard

Core
HugsLib
Mod List Backup
Hospitality

here's the save file if anyone wants to try it out :
https://www.dropbox.com/s/evq1srk0nkp5hhg/GuestBed.rws?dl=0

Orion

Quite possible it's an expensive calculation. Don't click on guest beds?

Wishmaster

Hello. The conflict that was mentioned with "Smarter Food Selection" is now solved.
There are no more known conflict with my mod. Can you update the topic please ?

Orion

Ruisuki

Does high relation impact the probability of visitors from that faction showing up? I only ever get visitors from tribals, havent gotten any from the one Outlander faction in over a year at least. I cant remember if i ever did. The outlanders are at 100 relationship, the tribes are in the 50s-70s

Canute

Maybe you just got tribal's neightbours.
Try to check the factions around your base.
Or do you think a faction from the other side will travel a half year to visit you ?

Ruisuki

Quote from: Canute on March 28, 2017, 02:43:39 AM
Maybe you just got tribal's neightbours.
Try to check the factions around your base.
Or do you think a faction from the other side will travel a half year to visit you ?
outlander factions are about the same distance away as the tribal villages

Orion

The first visit of a faction is random. After that they come regularly.