Mod request: Fog of war

Started by Necronomocoins, March 26, 2015, 03:01:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Necronomocoins

Is there already a FOW mod? I'm specifically looking for FOW that includes a line of sight, visual range reduced in darkness and partially blocked vision (partly greyed out and partly still visible) for low obstacles such as shrubs and animals. Stationary objects should remain visible in the greyed out and shouldn't change any information or graphics until it comes back into visual range of a colonist or CCTV, with powered cameras attached to a console via conduit.  Tynan seems pretty sure that he is not going to implement FOW, so, please, could a Modder mod this mod into a mod?

Justin C

True line of sight fog of war would be difficult to mod into the game, but one quick solution I can think of is using lighting to do this. It would be trivial to make pawns not render if the tile they are on is past a certain darkness threshold.

akiceabear

QuoteTrue line of sight fog of war would be difficult to mod into the game, but one quick solution I can think of is using lighting to do this. It would be trivial to make pawns not render if the tile they are on is past a certain darkness threshold.

They [mods] all need a starting point  :) I'm thinking I might take a stab at modding...

A few questions for you, or others familiar with modding RW:
- Could the render of a pawn be conditional on being within a light area of only a certain type of light? E.g. blue, red, etc?
- Could player controlled pawns be given an attribute that makes them the source of a certain type of light (e.g. clear/invisible light = vision)? Could this light generation radius change conditional on the time of day?
- Could other objects (e.g. forbidden items on the ground, unclaimed structures on the map) also not be rendered unless expose to the specific light spectrum?

rexx1888

basically, your going to need to use dll stuff, which is more than just modding, its c# scripting. Youll need to decompile the core game, find out all the classes tynan is using relating to the map, then extend or override them with your own code, and then you need to find a way to change the core game so it uses your changed classes instead of whats already there(which may not be possible).

basically, putting in fog of war is not modding, its coding