[REQUEST] More factions! Lizardmen! Orcs! Goblins! Other things!

Started by Giraffe, March 13, 2015, 03:46:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Giraffe

Since the Norbals mod, I've been waiting for more mods which address the lack of a rainbow coalition in my colony, various strengths and weaknesses even further randomized by genetic makeup. The norbals have a natural damage resistance, but are weak to heat. The antithesis of this could be lizardmen-- cold blooded and incapable of withstanding the cold for too long, walking, talking, reptilian-humanoid bandits and tribesmen fighting alongside humans for the chance to finally get off-world(with some hearty persuasion, that is).

Orcs, slow and range-less, masters of seiging fortified bases via axe, mortar, or fortified catapult (see the GlitterTech mod's tanks in the Orion Corp for example-- just add the ability to shoot over walls)

And lastly.. the goblins- sneaky sneaks, thieves and assassins. These guys can masquerade as civilians of neutral/friendly factions, and once they're in your base-- BOOM

Literally! goblin sappers are suicidal killers and after the trap is sprung, they run their bite sized soon to be flaming corpses into your colonists and turrets, exploding themselves because they are your friends and friends do that.

Hope you like my ideas, mostly stolen from warcraft but it was fun writing about it anyway. This kind of thing is suggested all the time I feel, so instead of serious balance discussions, why not just throw in a few ideas of your own? Do it.

Berengar

I love the idea.. and there are already 2 mods that implement orcs. Problem with all that, is thats in the moment not possible to make non-human races prisoned. So.. jeah just as simple enemys.

Giraffe

Oh wow I had no idea about that. Maybe there's some sort of workaround? I know that Norbals are statistically different than baseline humans, maybe the visual difference can be done via some sort of decal trickery (a la apparello's tribal face tattoos) but that still means that if they change gear-- like helmets they will just look like weird people-headed dudes. That is a total bummer though.

Would you mind telling me what those "two mods with orcs" are? I don't believe I've even seen those for A9.

Justin C

It would be possible to make an Orc race that can be imprisoned and recruited. Modders just tend to make new races animals instead of humanoids because it's easier.

Giraffe

Got a new one-- E.L.V.E.s (acronym in progress)

Robotic cannibals, and slavers: this bionic(?) race is much like the borg mixed with predators. They harvest brains and flesh from colonies throughout the rimworlds and convert colonists into slaves and abominable bionic soldiers in accordance to their robot doctrine

-flesh is weak, and the living destroy planets.. basically. They hate that you cut trees and harvest plants etc. and see the planets vegetation and mountains as more important than humanoid living creatures-

They eat only meat-- especially human, use only mechanoid built or bone weapons and have lobotomized human slaves to build turrets and haul-- also for food if they must. They will also capture any downed colonist as a first priority. No one knows where they came from, but everyone knows the E.L.V.E.s are scumbags.

These red eyed creepies from JoeysLucky22's post on the more mechanoids mod come to mind:

Berengar

"It would be possible to make an Orc race that can be imprisoned and recruited. Modders just tend to make new races animals instead of humanoids because it's easier."

Or you just dont have the skills. :D
But it would be great if someone create an mod, that give not so good moders the posibility.

Giraffe

Another idea!

Wisps: omnivorous, nearly immortal, and extremely hostile-- though they are incapable of hurting other things on their own. Instead they take control of other creatures and make them attack others, either way it works out the wisp wins and gets a meal, but they cannot escape their host until the host dies.

To visualize my thoughts:

The only way to kill them is by the creature they've possessed burning to death, or by starvation outside of the host. By, you know-- encircling an incapped and possessed body with walls and waiting it out for instance.

Vonholtz

There is one mod out there I have been playing with that has the orc's from the warhammer 40k games. https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=8228.0

But I think you are more talking about fantasy orc's. And this would be a lot of fun to. Maybe a World of Warcraft style mod or even a Dungeons & Dragons mod.

Giraffe

Oh, wow! Hey that's awesome, it even has goblins (or what look like goblins, I don't know a whole lot about WH40K) Thanks man! I'll still be using this as a sort of posterboard for ideas when I come up with them just in case someone wants to make a mod like this and needs ideas, but yeah, those orc textures are pretty much on the mark.

Giraffe

New idea! Not necessarily a faction per-say, but a creature.
The Tunneler, found randomly when attempting to build a geothermal gen.

They are lightning fast but incredibly weak herbivores, have claws for additional melee damage but are typically non-hostile barring a psychotic break. Maybe capable of being tamed? (Haul only)(only comfortable in temperatures ≥ 100 F (37.7 C))

They have extremely high heat resistance, are immune to fire (they live in the geysers after all)-- and very low resistance to cold.