Suggestions request: Ways to fulfill a "joy" need

Started by Tynan, March 14, 2015, 03:13:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TrashMan

Quote from: b0rsuk
Anything but sex or masturbation. That's more offensive than murder in America. No one does it anyway.
/quote]

A use for large beds?
A private room two colonists can retire too to let off some steam?

Garlandgreeneyes

I really like the group events that've been mentioned.  Birthday parties, campfires, putting on plays.  It'd be great to watch these types of activities acted out, much more fun to watch than watching colonists sleep anyways.  They could be like encounter type events, that happen say, if you have a cake and it's someone's birthday, or if you have a stage and a mechanoid costume, all colonists would congregate and a small scene could happen... candles get blown out, mechanoid costumed character pretends to die, etc.

In this vein, I suggest:

-Birthday parties
-Campfires
-Plays
-Musical Performances
-Unveiling of new art
-Fashion Shows
-Tedtalk (research completion)
-Welcoming ceremony (Colonist recruited)
-Prisoner execution
-Funeral

Keychan

I'd like to see some visitor interactions that could have provide fun for everyone.  I mean you're visiting colony a new colony and you're just going to walk around like loiterers and leave?  Why not interact with that newly made colony?

- Chat with visitors
- When you have that one lone visitor who comes in with that big important title like "Mary the Glitterworld Surgeon" or "Van the Chief of the Black Crag People", it'd be nice if they could be travelling storytellers.  Storytelling in a story making game, what could be better.
- Your colonist could take beers out to the same amount of visitors, hand them out and they'll just have a great time.  This could be random or uncontrolled.
- Not a sure if is 'joyful', but if you have a buried visitor(s), they'll have visitors that'll come from their own colony and they'll walk around the grave(s) of their fallen friend(s).  But hey, you could have the option of right-clicking a visitor and choose to hand out beers so they could drink and mourn in honor of their dead's memories.
- Since there will be game based fun activities, visitors could come join in and have fun with your colonist.  That's what you're visiting for, right?  To bond with the new colony.
- Along with this idea, let's say John Shipwreck from the Red Cowboys heard that your Bob Data was the best horseshoe player in the world.  This could lead up to friendly a friendly competition with both colonies cheering on their side.  Other activities included obviously.

Jstank

I guess I'm a little bit late on this forum but I think that this idea of 'joy' can be a great stepping stone into another feature witch could be law and order.

As each individual colonist tries to fufill his joy need (which I think should include an equal number of undesirable behaviors, like attacking other colonists, could be outlawed in a law system which would land the perpetrator in prison. Just a thought

One thing I would like to add to the list.

Playing music.

It would be great if some artistically inclined colonists could craft some musical instruments and play music. This music could be enjoyed (or not enjoyed) by other colonists. The music could be played individually or during gatherings in the common area.

I think these joys should be hidden from the player. You could learn about the colonist by watching their behavior, then when they perform it it will reveal on their character sheet.

Oh WOW matanui likes to play guitar... Who would have thought.
The road to hell is paved with good intentions.

- Bernard of Clairvaux

Argon

Quote from: Rock5 on March 27, 2015, 05:20:37 AM
I don't know if it's been mentioned but how about a computer game?

It could be a game about some people who get stranded on a planet and have to build things to survive and find ways to entertain themselves such as playing a computer game, which could be about some people who get stranded on a planet and have to build things to survive and find ways to entertain themselves such as playing a computer game, which could be about some people who get stranded on a planet and have to build things to survive and find ways to entertain themselves such as playing a computer game . . .

Oh I'm getting a headache.
This reminds me of the time someone made a working four operation calculator with redstone in Minecraft.
The rimworld ception would be INFINITE!

-Argon

b0rsuk

Dancing in the rain. There are many accounts of polish "witches", herbalists and so on dancing naked in the rain, just for fun. Away from people.

Enjoying a storm. The pawn would like to go outside, watch lightning strikes etc. Often in the open.

Frankenbeasley

Ooooh! Necromancy!  8)

I'll bite since this thread is temporarily up and stumbling around.

There should definitely be a collective buff for surviving a raid or siege with no dead colonists, and a personal buff for pawns who come through unscathed.
You live and learn. At any rate, you live.  - Douglas Adams

Kolljak

Thinking of negative ways to inflict JOY on people muahahah
as in if they are unhappy they may chose negative ways to fullfil joy.

Pranks
Graffiti
Defacing
Picking on prisoners [harassing them]
hiding stuff. such and such.

b0rsuk

* Visiting a grave
In year 5500+, people still worship ancestors. In Rimworld, pawns might decide to visit a grave of a killed colonist. Depending on the colonist visiting they may honor the dead differently, this is related to pawn's religion.
- simple meditation at a grave
- leaving burning candles and/or flowers at a grave. In Poland we leave candles because it's a remnant of pre-christian pagan worship of fire.
- leaving bits of food as an offering. Tribal colonists are more likely to do this. In Poland, kasza and pierogi used to be sacrificial meals. Bloodthirsty colonists are more likely to leave meat.
Graves of abrasive and similarly unpleasant colonists are less likely to be visited.

* Visiting a patient
People who are not healthy enough to leave bed are notoriously bored. A pawn might decide to relax socially by visiting a colonist resting in a medical bed and chat with him. This also makes the patient happier.

* Sunbathing
If it's warm and sunny, a colonist may decide to find a quiet spot, drop clothes around and sunbathe. Nudist colonists also drop pants. This joy activity is less likely to be used by pawns who are
- old
- have scars
- have peg legs or simple prostethics
- have afflictions that make them uglier, like frail
- obese (depending on pawn's graphic, some are visibly fat)
The reason is that ugly people are less confident about showing off their bodies.

keylocke

for the nth time, i'll suggest :

SEXY-TIMES

huehue.

what's the point of living if people don't get sexy-times? i'm actually surprised my colonists doesn't go on a mass suicide after being celibate for more than 5 years.. lels ::)

JesterBlue

May be they can go on strike and form an Union?

Songleaves

Here are some:

jump roping
hopscoth
shuffleboard
flying a kite
juggling
picking your nose
photography (perhaps with a procedural mechanic like the current sculpture descriptions)
blanket fort
diary: perhaps also with a similar mechanic as the sculpture descriptions
make shadow puppets
blowing bubbles

paper based:
origami
build paper airplanes
play with paper fortune teller/cootie catch

interactive:
massages (foot, shoulder, back)
play Frisbee/catch

JesterBlue

It's about time we put training on the menu! Just like horseshoe raise ranged, punching bag can relieve stress. To think of it, I think we are looking at Joy the wrong way. Should it not be keeping the stress low instead of Doing thing to be happy? A bunch of plague ridden hungry Colonist who are 'fill with joy' is just very very weird.

Hard work build up stress, being hungry is stressful, being sick make everyone nervous, wounded, kill some one, got chase by squirrel... it will drive people insane! Play some chess (alone) make you feel happy is just asinine.

If you structure 'Joy' this way sick people will cause less problem due to they being bed ridden since they will be away from stressful activities, management is also simpler, a stress colonist, simply switch him/her to an easier job to cool down and an incentive to avoid injury, treat wound on time and not stretch out your guys too much.