Suggestions request: Ways to fulfill a "joy" need

Started by Tynan, March 14, 2015, 03:13:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hyperkiller

Ah alright, didn't know that, and that's what happens when you post something without knowing it fully. Thanks for correcting me.

Dran

So I'm going to go over some of negative things that people do for fun.
Some may have been more fun for people in the past but in a colony some activities can make a comeback.

Independent
-Throwing rotten food at prisoner
-Tourturing animals (Pyschopath)
-Making Fun of someone

Group
-Stand Up Comedy
-Public Executions: Not everyone will like it
-Gladiator Battle Arena: Make those inmates fight to the death
-Hunts: Not for food but for fun can even hunt humans.
-Trials: Capture the leader of an enemy faction? Put him to trial and let the colonist decide his fate.
-Eating Competition

b0rsuk

"Hunting" for edible wild mushrooms in forests.

The mushroom hunting is an activity well-known to Slavic nations (Poland, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Ukraine, Russia and other) and Baltic (Lithuania, Latvia, Estonia). It is also popular in Nordic countries (Norway, Sweden, Finland, Denmark) and in some countries of Mediterranean Basin. Outside Europe Koreans, Japanese and Canadians pick mushrooms.
QuoteThey can grace every, even the simplest dish such as scrambled eggs. Delicate mushrooms are great for soups, 'zapiekanka', sauces, and meat dishes � kania (parasol mushroom), maslak (bolete), kurka (chanterelle), pieczarka (white mushroom) and rydz (saffron milk cap). Every meat will also taste great with fried borowik (boletus) or podgrzybek (bay bolete).

http://www.tastingpoland.com/food/mushrooms_in_polish_cuisine.html

Big gallery:
https://grzybyjadalne.wordpress.com/poznaj-grzyby/grzyby-jadalne/

keylocke

-build a computer, play rimworld... all day.
-play DnD.
-read comics
-keep/catch/build pets (insects, mammals, birds, reptiles, robot, fish?)
-repair damaged weapons/apparel
-sparring matches for colonists
-gladiator deathmatch for prisoners (aka : try outs)
-ride a muffalo

Fuhman

Why is everyone incessant on the idea of the colonists buggerin'? Why not simply have a relationship buff (if in one, exacerbated by specific traits), and de-buffs (as mentioned). With the possibility of shared beds on the horizon, that can be the fulfillment of this idea made by many slathering, foaming users on here.
I'm partly thinking of any asexual fellows that would simply be alienated by whole fuck-race that society experiences these days creeping into games.

Dran

Quote from: Fuhman on March 23, 2015, 05:17:55 PM
Why is everyone incessant on the idea of the colonists buggerin'? Why not simply have a relationship buff (if in one, exacerbated by specific traits), and de-buffs (as mentioned). With the possibility of shared beds on the horizon, that can be the fulfillment of this idea made by many slathering, foaming users on here.
I'm partly thinking of any asexual fellows that would simply be alienated by whole fuck-race that society experiences these days creeping into games.

It's genetically programmed into people quite frankly I'd be surprised if people weren't trying to inject "woohoo" into everything. Besides lets worry about the majority of players rather than a small minority because if we tried to cover every minority of people well the game would never be released.

Johnny Masters

I'm much more appalled by the kind of bashing something as natural as sex receives, while things that should be taken with a grain, such as violence, cannibalism, torture and gunning people down, is green-lighted without even a nod. The only difference is that you can exploit sex for some kind of appealing, which is something no-one here is doing, nobody wants graphically depicted sex scenes or moans.

If you are concerned about asexuals, denying that sex exists or trying to cover with euphemism is not the way to go, try for acceptance and diversity portrayal: if we have relationships in game, i want there to be heterosexuals, asexual, homosexuals, bisexuals or whatever people want their preferences to be, as long as its in the realm of (contemporary) ethics.

If people have a problem with diversity then i'd say there will be plenty of prejudice mods.

ja7833

Quote from: Dran on March 23, 2015, 12:46:27 PM
-Public Executions: Not everyone will like it
-Gladiator Battle Arena: Make those inmates fight to the death

+1 for public executions
+1 for Gladiator battles (and the ability to bet on them/against other factions) 

Maybe when trading is different/has caravans the traders have gladiators your colonist could fight/your gladiators could fight).
"Someone who is making anywhere from $300,000 to $750,000, that's middle class."  - Frederick Heineman

ja7833

...Why not simply have a relationship buff...

Quote from: Johnny Masters on March 23, 2015, 06:54:47 PM
...i want there to be heterosexuals, asexual, homosexuals, bisexuals...

I agree the way to add sex in the game is by total abstraction with buffs, instead of a negative for sharing a room a postive for sharing a bed (use your imagination) etc.

I also think in the storytelling vein of the game adding different sexual orientation/preference/bias would add a great dynamic to the story.  Although I could see where some might find it offensive but, since "slave girl" and "sex slave" are already colonist background stories I don't think Tynan is shy on tackling the issue.
"Someone who is making anywhere from $300,000 to $750,000, that's middle class."  - Frederick Heineman

b0rsuk

Vanity:
Some pawns should like to change clotches pretty often. Every now and then they would go and dress in a different color, etc.

Skirts, dresses etc. Female colonists would sometimes spawn in these. You could tailor them. Male colonists would get bad mood from wearing them, unless they have a Crossdresser trait. I find it immersion-breaking that even people coming from medieval worlds wear synthread pants.

Darth Fool

b0rsuk

Feeding small cute animals: squirrels, birds.

Taking a selfie.

Skipping stones (sorry about the old man music)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5n7GKxesC0U

Dran

Reading about Colony history? Maybe also have Recording colony history a fun activity as well?

Mathenaut

Quote from: ja7833 on March 23, 2015, 07:17:22 PM
...Why not simply have a relationship buff...

Quote from: Johnny Masters on March 23, 2015, 06:54:47 PM
...i want there to be heterosexuals, asexual, homosexuals, bisexuals...

I agree the way to add sex in the game is by total abstraction with buffs, instead of a negative for sharing a room a postive for sharing a bed (use your imagination) etc.

I also think in the storytelling vein of the game adding different sexual orientation/preference/bias would add a great dynamic to the story.  Although I could see where some might find it offensive but, since "slave girl" and "sex slave" are already colonist background stories I don't think Tynan is shy on tackling the issue.

Slippery slope. If it becomes a thing, keep it explicitly abstract, else face the wrath of the perpetually offended/'oppressed'.

Rock5

I don't know if it's been mentioned but how about a computer game?

It could be a game about some people who get stranded on a planet and have to build things to survive and find ways to entertain themselves such as playing a computer game, which could be about some people who get stranded on a planet and have to build things to survive and find ways to entertain themselves such as playing a computer game, which could be about some people who get stranded on a planet and have to build things to survive and find ways to entertain themselves such as playing a computer game . . .

Oh I'm getting a headache.
Rock5 [B18] Mods
- Butchers Can Count Meat
- Sun Lamp Planner
- JTZoneButtons
- RimSearch
- JTExport