Opening Sequence/Introduction

Started by Coolwhip, November 15, 2013, 04:56:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coolwhip

Okay before you panic and say "this is a survival game what is this guy doing talking about space stations" hold on I'll explain haha.

Alright so obviously if you've played the game (99% of us here) it's starts of as 3 emergency landing pods that land on the 'rim world' but, I myself feel as something could be added or at least an option. This is what should happen. So you awake on a space station too lights flickering,debris ,and fire everywhere. From this point your 3 starting characters meet up at the emergency pods knowing you're the last ones on the ship. From here you're given a final option to quickly gather any of your belongings aka: food/pistol etc, nothing overpowered ofcourse but a small boost to help the character progress in the beginning. Being the longer you search the ship the more risky it becomes. Some players might be better off just quickly hopping off. Other players might find that the space station isn't too badly damaged and they might be able to get down the hall fast enough to grab some food. Keep in mind this feature shouldn't be anything ground breaking just something to give the beginning more taste and fun.This feature should generate a small ship area not too anything to large because you'll be leaving shortly anyway.

Also you might think this is too much work for just an introduction to the game but this could serve other purposes as well, for instance if your community you've started isn't too badly off and you start researching and becoming highly advanced, might be a cool idea to be able to beam up to ships that pass by or a space station, this would be a bold feature and might destroy the lore of surviving but it would certainly be cool.

Keep in mind I know this was a bold idea, but I'll respect the criticism.

EDIT: Also I'd like to add the space station/ships would be randomly generated only consisting a few halls and limited space. The only thing repetitive would be the room you would be waking up in. In case you're wondering how the space station/ship would look just imagine small corridors with a space backdrop or, a dull metal space station metal similar to the back drops in alien swarm.

Thanks for reading!

- Coolwhip

todofwar

Not a bad idea, I had a similar one about the wreck itself being visible. Either way I think incorporating your ship into the intro would be pretty cool.

Coolwhip

Also for newcomers it would add quite a bit of immersion coming from space and falling down to the rim world. I feel as if the ship would need like tense music or sirens otherwise it would feel rather dull just no sounds during it.

Galileus

I like the approach, but I'm worried about the gathering period. It would be extremely frustrating to start off in a bad position and fail the whole game before gathering resources. Some player could be even lured into thinking this is necessary - that without these resources they would fail miserably.

Also, I do not approve of space station. Liner or some transport? Fine, I bet these things happen in the Rim all the time, who cares? Now, space station? That is a HUGE deal. I mean - people don't just pop up space stations when they feel like it, especially in the Rim. There is something VERY valuable in there and people would be after that wreck, or just there to find out what happen. And to rescue survivors, just to find out who to shoot in the head. Not to mention downed space station would be a huge military interest - anyone who build it would want to be absolutely sure it was an accident. And YET again - I don't feel a civilian station in Rims. It would be a specialized structure filled with elites - and our survivors simply don't fit that description.

Coolwhip

Quote from: Galileus on November 15, 2013, 07:00:27 PM
I like the approach, but I'm worried about the gathering period. It would be extremely frustrating to start off in a bad position and fail the whole game before gathering resources. Some player could be even lured into thinking this is necessary - that without these resources they would fail miserably.

Also, I do not approve of space station. Liner or some transport? Fine, I bet these things happen in the Rim all the time, who cares? Now, space station? That is a HUGE deal. I mean - people don't just pop up space stations when they feel like it, especially in the Rim. There is something VERY valuable in there and people would be after that wreck, or just there to find out what happen. And to rescue survivors, just to find out who to shoot in the head. Not to mention downed space station would be a huge military interest - anyone who build it would want to be absolutely sure it was an accident. And YET again - I don't feel a civilian station in Rims. It would be a specialized structure filled with elites - and our survivors simply don't fit that description.
Yeah I agree, it's not like space stations move and again like you said there a big a deal and if they were in the rim the would be swarming with activity. However I did say players have the option if they want to gather supplies or not. Also I'd like to add like you said it shouldn't be a space station but it would be more fitting if it was a transport ship of some sort or civilian vessel.

Clint

Not a massive fan of starting on a space station, but the idea of being able to launch satellites would be a nice addition. Peeeerhaps a space station much later on.

The satellites would require some sort of launch pad and a lot of resources in the late-game but they would be able to increase your comm range, and give you advanced warning of raiders and solar flares as well as "other things".

windruf

like idea, only not a space  station but space liner, that is about to crash. you wake up in your room and there are sirens and red light everywhere. and a message: grab your belongings and run to the pods!

and now we have a nice place for a tutorial: "cool, a gun! grab it!", "wtf is this thing? shoot it!", "oh! a wounded person! save it", "darn! the way is blocked! mine it!" and so on...

the main path is always the same, but some of side rooms may change to give you a chance to get a nice weapon, extra colonist... but you should open them with care cos "wtf is this thing" has many brothers and sisters and they are on this ship.  ;)

main path - tutorial easy and always the same, some side rooms - not too hard, some more hard, and some are traps... and every has a chest inside that contains everything from "YES!!!" to "it is a tough that counts"  and even some jokes like pink vibrator  ;) on the other hand you can break it for small batteries, small motor and wires... not too shabby ;)

so: if you follow tutorial - you'll get about the same like on normal start. if you are careful - some more resources and maybe something nice. and if you think, you are damn lucky and super tactician - you can try to get everything. there is no timer - tutorial after all. except there is no food and you won't be able to sleep and healing wounds. so it is a question of when to stop.

Workload

Coolwhip I suggest changing the title so people stop bugging about it being a space station. Really cool to see, but I should be simple as possible.

Like they auto haul as normal but leave some rooms blocked with loot in them. That can be enter doing different tasks. As windruf suggested
The gun you should always get tho and be able to leave right away so they can skip it out spend a little time to get a better start.   

Quote from: windruf on November 16, 2013, 02:21:07 AM
like idea, only not a space  station but space liner, that is about to crash. you wake up in your room and there are sirens and red light everywhere. and a message: grab your belongings and run to the pods!

and now we have a nice place for a tutorial: "cool, a gun! grab it!", "wtf is this thing? shoot it!", "oh! a wounded person! save it", "darn! the way is blocked! mine it!" and so on...
This sound neat even can have a room blocked by fire for the place home zone part. Plus a door or something that needs to be turn off with the power menu button. To stop it from shocking your people.

Coolwhip

Quote from: Workload on November 16, 2013, 03:57:24 AM
Coolwhip I suggest changing the title so people stop bugging about it being a space station. Really cool to see, but I should be simple as possible.

Like they auto haul as normal but leave some rooms blocked with loot in them. That can be enter doing different tasks. As windruf suggested
The gun you should always get tho and be able to leave right away so they can skip it out spend a little time to get a better start.   

I think it would be cool adding some space hole's in the space ship (or whatever you guys wanna call it lmao) so that maybe a door will be highlighted red or something because of a space lock and if you try to enter it it sucks you out into space.

Quote from: windruf on November 16, 2013, 02:21:07 AM

This sound neat even can have a room blocked by fire for the place home zone part. Plus a door or something that needs to be turn off with the power menu button. To stop it from shocking your people.

DarkThug

Dear Coolwhip.
At first I was panic that "this is a survival game what is this guy doing talking about space stations" until I read your OP.
Now I am panic that "The game haven't get proper graphic yet what is this guy doing talking about opening sequence" LOL.
;)

Nukeman0

this kind of starting sequence would add a certain touch to your colony's story, and, as mentioned before, would put the player in the setting.
Nukeman0

CommieKazie

Coolwhip

Quote from: DarkThug on November 17, 2013, 02:08:47 AM
Dear Coolwhip.
At first I was panic that "this is a survival game what is this guy doing talking about space stations" until I read your OP.
Now I am panic that "The game haven't get proper graphic yet what is this guy doing talking about opening sequence" LOL.
;)

It's okay I ruv you ;3