Mod Request: Creep (Starcraft)

Started by InfinityKage, March 14, 2015, 10:27:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

InfinityKage

Creep is a living zerg organism. It has a purple coloration and is a viscous substance that feels thick and slimy. It is used to nourish zerg structures and larvae. If left unchecked, creep can consume an entire planet within days. Creep has a cellular structure. Zerg ground strains can move faster over creep than normal ground due to a collection of microscopic filaments that allow them to 'skate' across creep rather than breaking through it. Creep spreads rapidly if left unchecked. This proliferation may be observed in real time. Creep helps to sustain itself and other zerg organisms by processing minerals extracted from the ground via deep tendrils.

Basicly I have two ways this could go. Both start the same what. Add some sort of "crop" to the game that spreads on it's own.

1. Make it be a bad thing: Basically make it to wear it starts somewhere on the map because of a "structure" of some sort and enemies move and heal faster while on it. Maybe it can show up every one in a while like the evil A.I. crashed ship. Something you have to go destroy or it just keep getting worse.

2. Make it be a good thing: Maybe add a "structure" to the game that you can build that begins to slowly spread creep that your pawns move and heal faster on.

Of course there is the option to do both.

Regret

Interesting crop mechanic idea. Plagues and floods could use the same code.

It would completely alter the balance of the game though.

geredis

Quote from: InfinityKage on March 14, 2015, 10:27:08 PM
Basicly I have two ways this could go. Both start the same what. Add some sort of "crop" to the game that spreads on it's own.

1. Make it be a bad thing: Basically make it to wear it starts somewhere on the map because of a "structure" of some sort and enemies move and heal faster while on it. Maybe it can show up every one in a while like the evil A.I. crashed ship. Something you have to go destroy or it just keep getting worse.

2. Make it be a good thing: Maybe add a "structure" to the game that you can build that begins to slowly spread creep that your pawns move and heal faster on.

Of course there is the option to do both.

I love the idea, generally...and I wonder: why can't we have it as both?  It's an evil, encroaching slime of doom that turns the ground under it into a mud-like substance (unusable in almost all circumstances) unless yo make the appropriate research that lets you manage it and put it to good use.

skullywag

I really should update my purple ivy mod.....
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

HBKRKO619

Quote from: skullywag on March 24, 2015, 03:36:09 AM

That's a freaking good idea xDDD

Shinzy

Quote from: HBKRKO619 on March 24, 2015, 06:49:48 AM
Quote from: skullywag on March 24, 2015, 03:36:09 AM

That's a freaking good idea xDDD

Uh huh! the meteor bears must be unleashed once again!

Timotheos

One way this could go is as an alternative to Mechanoid psychic emanations. "Reskin" the idea as nanobots that spread from downed ships or is released from ancient pods. Allow it to be researched as part of an advanced mechanoid research line, possibly leading to self-repairing structures or physical integration of the substance.

Something that could be an added feature is the ability for the substance to change a creature's race ala the Borg with a hostile faction that is intent on spreading and using the substance and claiming your settlement for it's own.

This idea line also work's with the original concept of the zerg creep if one recalls the Starcraft 1 use of infectious spores infecting Terran structures and converting them into zerg use with infected terrans.

skullywag

Purple ivy is almost updated. I may wait for alpha 10 though. Just have to fix the little purple boxes where the blood texture should be but its proving annoying.
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

InfinityKage

Quote from: skullywag on March 30, 2015, 03:53:55 AM
Purple ivy is almost updated. I may wait for alpha 10 though. Just have to fix the little purple boxes where the blood texture should be but its proving annoying.

Never heard of your Purple Ivy mod. What does it do?

mrofa

Meteor fall from sky and them your fuc.., you get a nice plants made by shinzy spawning and killing the grass, and trees and spawning spawnes and it all looks cool and purple, and then you die :D
All i do is clutter all around.

soltysek

The problem with creep is that you cannot build on it whot will req. write a DLL for every vanila structure and over write orginal content i do not say its inpasible but will req. rewrite around 1700 xml file , its just alot of work :P