What's in a name?

Started by ShadowDragon8685, November 15, 2013, 05:13:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ShadowDragon8685

Simple concept, probably not so simple too execute: all colonists (barring unusual circumstances) should have a first name, and the possibility of gaining a nickname - and the player ought to be able to change nicknames and possibly other names.

Also gives me an idea for a random event: colonists could randomly change their name for unspecified reason

I'm thinking that colonists could have defined ethnicities with different name tables, to weight the naming chances.
Raiders must die!

Tobman10

-Tob :)

FlyingTurtles

But what about the people who payed to have their name/nickname in the game?

Galileus

Nicknames gaining (like in X-COM) is fun, but would prefer player wouldn't be able to change them. Edit them globally? Pre-game? For example - choosing components <female> and <combat achievements> would produce nickname Baroness. That? Would be AWESOME. In-game? I'm against ;)

Quote from: ShadowDragon8685 on November 15, 2013, 05:13:57 PMAlso gives me an idea for a random event: colonists could randomly change their name for unspecified reason

That would be confusing and, in all reality, simple trolling. In a game that aims to make a connection between you and your pawns, that would achieve the exactly opposite effect. I fail to see any positive side to this one, really.

ShadowDragon8685

Quote from: FlyingTurtles on November 15, 2013, 06:13:40 PMBut what about the people who payed to have their name/nickname in the game?

What about them?

They get to see their name appear as a random pirate. That was their goal, and they achieved it. That name will spawn as a pirate. Whether I later change that colonist's name to "Tim 2.4" or not is something they'll never see, let alone be affected by.

Quote from: Galileus on November 15, 2013, 06:49:44 PMNicknames gaining (like in X-COM) is fun, but would prefer player wouldn't be able to change them. Edit them globally? Pre-game? For example - choosing components <female> and <combat achievements> would produce nickname Baroness. That? Would be AWESOME. In-game? I'm against ;)

I'm not. In fact, I'm against not letting the player choose names. I have two Lees in my current colony, and if I didn't have a strict policy against recruiting men, I could have three.

"Lee, Oaf" and "Lee, Shipwright" aren't exactly very distinct. Whereas if one of them could be nicknamed "Tank" and the other "Wrench", by me, that would be good.

Quote from: ShadowDragon8685 on November 15, 2013, 05:13:57 PMAlso gives me an idea for a random event: colonists could randomly change their name for unspecified reason
That would be confusing and, in all reality, simple trolling. In a game that aims to make a connection between you and your pawns, that would achieve the exactly opposite effect. I fail to see any positive side to this one, really.

Half of the things you suggest amount to trolling the player. Creating a bit of confusion is the idea, though the player would get a message to the effect of "X is now insisting on being called Y." And I could think of a number of reasons a colonist might do this, but frankly, that doesn't need to be made known to the player. It's more fun to let them make up the reason.
Raiders must die!

Galileus

Quote from: ShadowDragon8685 on November 15, 2013, 07:13:24 PMHalf of the things you suggest amount to trolling the player. Creating a bit of confusion is the idea, though the player would get a message to the effect of "X is now insisting on being called Y." And I could think of a number of reasons a colonist might do this, but frankly, that doesn't need to be made known to the player. It's more fun to let them make up the reason.

I dare you to point out my attempts at trolling the player :)

Anyway, this still make no sense to me. What is the reason behind this event? It does not add to gameplay; it does not make up for an interesting challenge... or any challenge, really; it does not enrich the world or narrative... If anything, it cuts out on these elements by working against the attachment player creates. It's confusing, unnatural and I see no purpose it could serve.

Creating confusion is not a purpose that is acceptable. Creating confusion for a reason - fine enough. Confusion for the sake of confusion is nothing short of trolling - it does not add to any gameplay element and only serves to turn players away from the game. As a designer, you're supposed to give them more and more reasons to complete the challenges you stack before them - not to work against them. After all, you want your players to have a good time and win in the end.

windruf

i like idea.
i see it so: there are first name and second name. they are unchangeable. ok, only for starter chars. it has to be so there are no people with the same name. and then there are nicknames. they are empty, when this colonist joins you, and you can change them at any time (if you don't, they choose it themselves). and you can go to options and change the way you want to see their names: only first name or first name and second name or first name and nickname...

Galileus

Changing display form is really neat idea. Could be per-colonist. I wouldn't want to loose sight of Lo Wang just to see my Baroness bossing around :P

DarkThug

I think let players change their own colonist's nickname is a good thing. It will help player's attachment to the colonists. As many players name colonist after their friend and family(bad idea really :p). It also help those who run a community game. Many audience want to see their name in the game.

Nickname changing overtime is also a great idea and help enrich game narrative. Actually it can be called title and separate from nickname. It will changed according each colonist feat. Like Tom "Raider slayer", Jimmy "Boomrat slaughter" or Tomas "Agrave Harvester". Something like that. Dwarffortress does that and it is cool.

I don't see much point of changing first&last name though. We can leave it be for those who payed for their name in-game.