Compliments to the chef

Started by todofwar, November 15, 2013, 06:20:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

todofwar

Just wanted to take the time to say Tynan has done an excellent job, and this "pre-alpha" could be released as a finished game and still be a classic. I feel like in the suggestions forum it starts to feel like people do nothing but complain, but seriously great job.

Galileus

I'm actually really surprised on how well these forums function. I'm from that part of internet, where game-based forums are toxic and dev forums are never-ending war between people who are knowledgeable and ones who are loud. But here? It's real cozy in here ;)

Also, with launches like Total War: Rome 2 or Sword of the Stars 2 being less and less of a shock and more of a sad reality, RimWorld starts real strong. And this is without mentioning that we compare pre-alpha with triple A releases here!

SteveAdamo

absolutely agreed, on both fronts... Tynan has delivered a fantastic game, that will only get better over time...

and this forum has been a real pleasure to be a part of as well... :)

murlocdummy

Enjoy it while it lasts.  If things continue to grow, we're only going to get a larger proportion of idiots in here, to the point that moderation becomes less about getting good conversations going and more about policing narcissists and trolls.

It's fortunate that bay12 doesn't have that kind of problem, but it's only because Dwarf Fortress is such a difficult game to get into that only the knowledgeable elites have the wherewithal to stay.  Considering how horrible most of the Internet has become when the general public is allowed free access, having a fairly high barrier to access is increasingly becoming an unfortunate necessity.

W1Z25

just wait till the next update.. we COULD see some new artwork :)

ShootyFace

Quote from: W1Z23 on November 15, 2013, 11:49:41 PM
just wait till the next update.. we COULD see some new artwork :)

That would be nice, although I've grown accustomed to what's there already.

Would like to thank Tynan while the chance is there. Great game, absolutely love it so far and am very eager to see where the game goes from here.
"Oh boy, I can finally have my colonists paint the outer wall with Raider blood and hang a sign by the main door that says: "Looking for Donations"
I'm sure that'll make the Raiders feel welcome. :3" ~TheXIIILightning

Swederell

Releasing it as it is would still be a better release than a certain recent big release.

Tynan

What, thank you very much todofwar and everyone else. Working hard on making it even better for all of you :)
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

ShootyFace

Quote from: Tynan on November 16, 2013, 05:24:12 PM
What, thank you very much todofwar and everyone else. Working hard on making it even better for all of you :)

Awesome. If you can maintain this level of polish throughout development, you are going to have a horde of players to help usher in the noobs when you release. Of everything I've played this year, RimWorld is top shelf stuff, and easily the best alpha I've been part of. Hope to get a look at what you're working on and what all might make the next update.
"Oh boy, I can finally have my colonists paint the outer wall with Raider blood and hang a sign by the main door that says: "Looking for Donations"
I'm sure that'll make the Raiders feel welcome. :3" ~TheXIIILightning

lazerlight

Okay, I think I'm done lurking.  :P
I agree that a friendly and positive community is a breath of fresh air. But I do not agree that RimWorld would be any good as a release title in it's current state and find it pretty astonishing that so many people here seem to think it would.

I love the idea and the concept behind RimWorld and after looking into it I have faith in Tynan, that he will deliver an entertaining experience and allow exactly the right amount of community input. That's why I backed it against my rule of never paying for unfinished games and never preordering and convinced my brother to do so as well.

But that experience is a long way off guys, don't fool yourselves into thinking otherwise. I guess no one knows this better than Tynan himself.

It's good to get a pat on the back once in a while, but there is a lot of work to be done before I would consider RimWorld to be even a game, I think Ty will need a lot more help along the way, maybe even hire a few people. Right now it is very obviously a pre-alpha, a tech-demo, albeit a very enjoyable and promising one. We need to uphold a spirit of progress and diligence. We need to encourage Ty to do his very best and put his all into this project, not "call it done". I think that's what he would appreciate most.  ;)

Galileus

I think this is quite obvious, lazerlight :) I can't speak for anyone else, but when I compare this pre-alpha release with other releases I have it in mind, that the game is long to get finished. Yet - as you mentioned - it already shows level of polish that nowadays seems like a joke to many developers: "why bother fixing it, we'll patch it someday!". It's playable, fun and keeps people for hours upon hours - where in indie and small games department it's easy to find games that bore you after an hour or two or even end by that time. Hell, some big titles turn out to be a launch-break long.

lazerlight

Quote from: Galileus on November 17, 2013, 06:57:22 AM
I think this is quite obvious, lazerlight :) I can't speak for anyone else, but when I compare this pre-alpha release with other releases I have it in mind, that the game is long to get finished. Yet - as you mentioned - it already shows level of polish that nowadays seems like a joke to many developers: "why bother fixing it, we'll patch it someday!". It's playable, fun and keeps people for hours upon hours - where in indie and small games department it's easy to find games that bore you after an hour or two or even end by that time. Hell, some big titles turn out to be a launch-break long.

I just want people not to look at this through rose-tinted glasses. In fact RimWorld is not terribly polished right now and it will get stale after a while. We need to be realistic here. There's 7 research topics in the game. A half-decently skilled researcher will go through that in a few minutes of play time. Traits are not implemented. There's a very very limited number of things to build, nothing to craft. There are commodities in the game that do nothing. There's 11 skills, which isn't bad, but 4 of them do nothing, which is. The game is not balanced at all ...
I'm fine with these because I know what it is: a pre-alpha. In fact it's decently fun for a few hours despite all this. But saying RimWorld could be a release title is delusional. I see a lot of the guys who say that now being all played out of RimWorld before it even releases.

Galileus

I completely agree, that it's waaaay off the full release. But I wouldn't agree on polish - while some things are not implemented yet, they "work" just fine - additional skills, different unused things you can buy - they are there like they would in release form, they don't break anything, pawns will still gather the unused items and such. There are no game-breaking bugs or glitches, the game flows real well for what it is right now. This is more than some 3-A releases give you. One doesn't need to be a game-designer to tell, that Tynan wanted this pre-alpha to be a good fun in itself and took his time to make sure it is - instead of just screaming "pre-alpha!" while bathing in money during the bug-squishing time.

lazerlight

Quote from: Galileus on November 17, 2013, 08:03:19 AM
I completely agree, that it's waaaay off the full release. But I wouldn't agree on polish - while some things are not implemented yet, they "work" just fine - additional skills, different unused things you can buy - they are there like they would in release form, they don't break anything, pawns will still gather the unused items and such. There are no game-breaking bugs or glitches, the game flows real well for what it is right now. This is more than some 3-A releases give you. One doesn't need to be a game-designer to tell, that Tynan wanted this pre-alpha to be a good fun in itself and took his time to make sure it is - instead of just screaming "pre-alpha!" while bathing in money during the bug-squishing time.

Yes, if you put it this way, I agree. Tynan has done a very good job on making sure everything works. I now understand where you're coming from. I'm pretty sure you will manage to keep it that way, Ty.  :)

murlocdummy

To be absolutely honest, my biggest hurdle is and has always been grammatical and spelling errors in the backstories.  For the most part, the game is currently a low-end to half-decent game.  Considering the fact that it's in the alpha stages, that's pretty damn good. 
There is plenty that still needs to be done, so we, as a community, need to continue to put the necessary effort into helping this game and its development staff (Tynan) make it the best game it can be.