Double Beds??? Why?

Started by Cracker21, March 16, 2015, 01:35:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cracker21

What are the big beds for? They provide no bonus nor two people, it seems like a waste of space and resources. There could be plenty of uses but non have been implicated yet. Why have them?

NoImageAvailable

IIRC they have improved rest efficiency.
"The power of friendship destroyed the jellyfish."

Darkhymn

Quote from: NoImageAvailable on March 16, 2015, 02:03:20 AM
IIRC they have improved rest efficiency.

5% rest effectiveness improvement for non-stone beds, plus far, far higher beauty.

Silvador

I sleep in a Queen sized bed. Believe me, it is SO nice having all that extra room to yourself. Your colonists will love you for spacious double beds all to themselves.

Mikhail Reign

Quote from: Silvador on March 16, 2015, 02:18:49 AM
I sleep in a Queen sized bed. Believe me, it is SO nice having all that extra room to yourself. Your colonists will love you for spacious double beds all to themselves.

This. Have owned a Queen bed since I was in highschool. I don't understand how people can even sleep in a single bed - may as well be a couch

Boboid

They're 5% better and they fit perfectly in the center of a 6x6 room. That's pretty much everything that they've got going for them.
A prison yard is certainly a slightly more elegant solution to Cabin Fever than mine...

I just chop their legs off... legless prisoners don't suffer cabin fever

Darkhymn

Quote from: Boboid on March 16, 2015, 03:52:14 AM
They're 5% better and they fit perfectly in the center of a 6x6 room. That's pretty much everything that they've got going for them.

Do you just make them 6x6 for symmetry with the bed? 5x5 gets the spacious interior bonus.

Boboid

Quote from: Darkhymn on March 16, 2015, 05:42:59 AM
Quote from: Boboid on March 16, 2015, 03:52:14 AM

Do you just make them 6x6 for symmetry with the bed? 5x5 gets the spacious interior bonus.

Maybe >.>

It's also so I can fit batteries,coms consoles, and occasionally workbenches in bedrooms.
A prison yard is certainly a slightly more elegant solution to Cabin Fever than mine...

I just chop their legs off... legless prisoners don't suffer cabin fever

Silvador

Quote from: Mikhail Reign on March 16, 2015, 03:07:13 AM

This. Have owned a Queen bed since I was in highschool. I don't understand how people can even sleep in a single bed - may as well be a couch

Hey, some couches are dam comfy. lol

At least, the ones I sleep on always are. Maybe I'm just real lucky with couches. XD

Novellum

Quote from: Mikhail Reign on March 16, 2015, 03:07:13 AM

I'm always worried I'd fall off a single bed during the night since I sleep in the middle of a queen.

Daemoneyes

Quote from: Cracker21 on March 16, 2015, 01:35:21 AM
What are the big beds for? They provide no bonus nor two people, it seems like a waste of space and resources. There could be plenty of uses but non have been implicated yet. Why have them?

Resource cost and work needed for them is still very low and each little bit of rest effectiveness helps a lot, also the high beauty lets you reach beautiful room status really easy.

And in RL, once you are used to a grand king size bed (2x2m) you will not accept any less.

The Uncanny Tranny

Like a few folks have said in here: a queen-sized bed is just fantastic. Going back to something smaller would feel like going from two monitors to one... Just feels wrong.

Jam

Quote from: The Uncanny Tranny on March 16, 2015, 03:59:15 PM
Like a few folks have said in here: a queen-sized bed is just fantastic. Going back to something smaller would feel like going from two monitors to one... Just feels wrong.

You can't go back.

Mystic

Hmm.  And here I've been sleeping on a thin foam pad on the floor (due to back problems) for the past, oh, 31 years.  I guess that means I have tested the "sleeping spot" option pretty thoroughly.  And I haven't even broken yet due to all of the de-buffs that brings (well, I've not broken as far as I know ... but you might have to ask my family and coworkers to be sure).

Mathenaut

My bedrooms are 3x3 with the double-beds. 5% doesn't seem like much, but it adds up over time. It's less time sleeping and more time working.