Rimworld Texture/Sound Modding

Started by Rhodes, November 15, 2013, 06:25:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rhodes

Interested in creating new textures for RimWorld?  This post is here to get you started!
The process may seem complicated, but is actually quite simple!

Things you will need:

To Begin, Follow These Simple Steps:
Move UnityAssetsExplorer.exe to your Desktop
Open UnityAssetsExplorer.exe.
Click the Open Assets-file button.
Browse to your RimWorld Game Directory.
Open the RimWorld###Win_Data folder.
Highlight the assets file, resources.assets, and then Click the Open button.
Make sure the Covert TEX to DDS box is Checked
Click the Extract All button.

Excellent!  You've just extracted all the goodies and textures used to create RimWorld.

To Continue:
Minimize UnityAssetsExplorer.exe.
Go to your Desktop and open the newly created folder named resources.

You will see lots of files - most of these aren't important. However, some are very important! 
The important ones are the DDS files.  If you installed the required plugins for Photoshop or Gimp, you can open these DDS files to see what textures they contain!

Using Photoshop, open the DDS file you want to modify.  For example, I opened Bed.tex.dds.
In Photoshop, I changed the color of the sheets.  I wanted a Pink bed with my name written on the blanket - so I painted it in!
After I was satisfied with my changes, I clicked Save.

Photoshop then asked me all these weird questions about dds Formats and stuff!
It was simple though.. I only had to change one selection!

If the image is a UI element: Select DXT1 from the Drop-Down List and make sure No MIP maps is selected in the MIP Map Generation box. Then click Save.

If the image is a texture: Select DXT1 from the Drop-Down List and make sure Generate MIP maps is selected in the MIP Map Generation box. Then click Save.

Note: Be sure to keep a list of which files you modified!

Once you have modified all the files you want to change, we're ready to pack them all back into the Resources.assets file and load them into our game!

Open/Focus UnityAssetsExplorer.exe.
You should still have the Resources.assets file open. If not, re-open it using the above instructions.

Depending on how many DDS files you modified, this part may take a little while. I hope you kept that list handy!

Browse through the list in UnityAssetsExplorer and highlight each file you modified. In my case, I highlighted Bed.tex.
Right-Click the Selected Item and choose Import This File from DDS.
Do this for each file you modified.
Once you have finished Importing each file, click the Save as Assets-file button.
Browse back to your RimWorld Game Directory and save the new assets file as something original.  I saved mine as resources.IheartPinkBeds.assets.

I then created a copy of my Original resources.assets file so that I wouldn't lose it.
Then, I renamed my resources.IheartPinkBeds.assets file to resources.assets

The next time I played RimWorld - All my beds were pink!  I didn't even have to start a new game!

After you modify a file (be it DDS or XML or OGG) make sure the file size remains the same as the original.  Otherwise, you could run into issues with your RimWorld loading.  You have been warned.

[EDIT]

How did I go from being all serious to the goofy ending?  This is what happens when I focus on something for more than 5 minutes...

Rhodes

Updated the guide a bit.  I had some mis-information in it..

When saving your new image - choose DXT1 (the first item in the drop-down box) and make sure No MIP maps is selected in the MIP Map Generation area.

[EDIT]
Actually, it seems to vary for different pictures.  You may need to use DXT5 and MIP Maps on some images to preserve image size. 
Like I mentioned, if the size is different from the original - the changes do not seem to take effect.

(will update as I work on my mod - if you discover your own, please list them)
    BGPlanet.tex.dds: DXT1 RGB 4 bpp | no alpha - No MIP maps
    GameTitle.tex.dds: 8.8.8.8 QWVU 32 bpp | signed - No MIP maps
    Concrete.tex.dds: DXT 5 ARGB 8 bpp | interpolated alpha - Generate MIP maps
    SmoothStone.tex.dds: DTX 1 RGB 4 bpp | no alpha - Generate MIP maps
    Other Terrain Textures: DXT1 ARGB 4 bpp | 1 bit alpha - Generate MIP maps
    Furniture Textures: DXT 5 ARGB 8 bpp | interpolated alpha - Generate MIP maps
    Plant Textures: DXT 5 ARGB 8 bpp | interpolated alpha - Generate MIP maps

Tynan

In general, UI textures won't have mipmaps because they're never zoomed in or out. World textures need mipmaps.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

Vilusia

Paint.net has a built in DDS editor by the way. Might want to add that to the tutorial for people who use it.

Check out Bone Mod! Updates almost daily.

Rhodes

Quote from: Vilusia on November 19, 2013, 08:12:28 AM
Paint.net has a built in DDS editor by the way. Might want to add that to the tutorial for people who use it.

Added. Thanks for the tip.

SlimeCrusher

Umm... Help? I do everything you say but still, there isn't any change, i modified the lee-enfield and the potatoes, but nothing has changed, did i do something wrong? Was i supposed to copy-paste the modified objects into the resources folder and replace them? If im supposed to insert the things, it just does "Done!", but how does it knows the modified files?, im very confused

Tynan

I'd just wait a few days, this will be much much easier with Alpha 2.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

Bounty

Quote from: Rhodes on November 15, 2013, 06:25:31 PM
Interested in creating new textures for RimWorld?  This post is here to get you started!
The process may seem complicated, but is actually quite simple!

Things you will need:

To Begin, Follow These Simple Steps:
Move UnityAssetsExplorer.exe to your Desktop
Open UnityAssetsExplorer.exe.
Click the Open Assets-file button.
Browse to your RimWorld Game Directory.
Open the RimWorld###Win_Data folder.
Highlight the assets file, resources.assets, and then Click the Open button.
Make sure the Covert TEX to DDS box is Checked
Click the Extract All button.

Excellent!  You've just extracted all the goodies and textures used to create RimWorld.

To Continue:
Minimize UnityAssetsExplorer.exe.
Go to your Desktop and open the newly created folder named resources.

You will see lots of files - most of these aren't important. However, some are very important! 
The important ones are the DDS files.  If you installed the required plugins for Photoshop or Gimp, you can open these DDS files to see what textures they contain!

Using Photoshop, open the DDS file you want to modify.  For example, I opened Bed.tex.dds.
In Photoshop, I changed the color of the sheets.  I wanted a Pink bed with my name written on the blanket - so I painted it in!
After I was satisfied with my changes, I clicked Save.

Photoshop then asked me all these weird questions about dds Formats and stuff!
It was simple though.. I only had to change one selection!

If the image is a UI element: Select DXT1 from the Drop-Down List and make sure No MIP maps is selected in the MIP Map Generation box. Then click Save.

If the image is a texture: Select DXT1 from the Drop-Down List and make sure Generate MIP maps is selected in the MIP Map Generation box. Then click Save.

Note: Be sure to keep a list of which files you modified!

Once you have modified all the files you want to change, we're ready to pack them all back into the Resources.assets file and load them into our game!

Open/Focus UnityAssetsExplorer.exe.
You should still have the Resources.assets file open. If not, re-open it using the above instructions.

Depending on how many DDS files you modified, this part may take a little while. I hope you kept that list handy!

Browse through the list in UnityAssetsExplorer and highlight each file you modified. In my case, I highlighted Bed.tex.
Right-Click the Selected Item and choose Import This File from DDS.
Do this for each file you modified.
Once you have finished Importing each file, click the Save as Assets-file button.
Browse back to your RimWorld Game Directory and save the new assets file as something original.  I saved mine as resources.IheartPinkBeds.assets.

I then created a copy of my Original resources.assets file so that I wouldn't lose it.
Then, I renamed my resources.IheartPinkBeds.assets file to resources.assets

The next time I played RimWorld - All my beds were pink!  I didn't even have to start a new game!

After you modify a file (be it DDS or XML or OGG) make sure the file size remains the same as the original.  Otherwise, you could run into issues with your RimWorld loading.  You have been warned.

[EDIT]

How did I go from being all serious to the goofy ending?  This is what happens when I focus on something for more than 5 minutes...

And thats how my Alpacas turned pink. Now go to bed my boys.

Spidercamp

How do you use this process to add a new texture set? I made a neat little sheep (ripped off the alpaca design) and can't figure out how to add it to the .assets through the tool. Sorry if I'm missing something major and obvious...

RemingtonRyder

This is an old topic so it's out of date.

Spidercamp

Any suggestions for additional reading then?

Anonemous2

Hello?

If anyone would still bother to take a look at this topic again (I know it's been out-of-date for years), I'd like some help with getting Rimworld's textures from the assets file. I want to be able to use them for a mod of mine, but I haven't been able to get to them. I've followed the instructions on the rimworld wiki but I only get unusable textures (98% empty or grid, 2% random pixels in the top corner for ALL textures), and I've tried this on 3 different computers.

I think the problem is with Unity Assets Explorer but I'm unable to find a fix/solution/alternative for this online. Any help would be VERY appreciated.

kaptain_kavern

jacob814

Since google brings this up whenever I ask about rimworld textures, can someone post the latest textures for A17?
My Mods:
Glass&Lights