Combining Materials

Started by soulkata, March 17, 2015, 12:00:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

soulkata

Hello, I am the developer of Mod Alien Ants, I need to combine two textures (one with skin color) in a single material. To explain my need, I will add a bit of context ...

I want to make a new race. A humanoid race. My intention is to create the Krogan race, of the game Mass Effect.

For this, I need to change the textures of humanoid Pawns. The game is not ready to make these changes smoothly, so I'll manually resolve the PawnGraphicSet.ResolveGraphics method by adding my textures ... Looking at the source code, the game stores the textures in a "Material" class.

My problem is that I want to combine two textures in this material:
  * One is fixed, of the Beige color;
  * Other varies according to the color of the skin, which is stronger shades (Blue, Purple, Red...).

So I do not know how do I combine these two textures into a single "Material" ... Any advice on how to do this?

mipen

I believe the core game does this by using a base body texture which is filled in with white, and then when a new pawn spawns it calls a method which gives it a body texture with the skin colour masked over the top. I'm not entirely sure how it does it, I haven't looked into it, but you might try searching for pawn generator related things in ilspy

soulkata

Making the 'sking' colored texture is Ok... The problem is: I have 2 materials, and I want to combine them into one new material!