Geothermal Vent Bug?

Started by Jaxor, November 16, 2013, 02:37:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jaxor

Do geothermal vents stop putting power into the grid or is this a bug? It says Power output is 4000 W, but the Connected rate fluctuates between -3200, 0, 100, and 350 W.

Semmy

Do you have the geothermal plant connected in the right way?

Maybe a savegame so i can check it out for you (-:

thanks
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
Edmund Burke

deadbeat88

Connected rate calculates the Available power minus the Amount being used.

So if you have -3200w, that would mean you're using a lot of power you cannot sustain.
Turn off your turrets when not in used.
Whatever you do, don't do it!

Tynan

Yes. Can anyone think of a name better than "connected rate"? It's the extra/debt in the power grid which is adding/subtracting from the batteries.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

Semmy

Power usage

you got created power and used power.

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
Edmund Burke

nnescio

Quote from: Tynan on November 16, 2013, 05:05:46 PM
Yes. Can anyone think of a name better than "connected rate"? It's the extra/debt in the power grid which is adding/subtracting from the batteries.

Surplus power? (with negative values indicating a deficit.)

Black_Fox

"Power level", "Battery load" or "(Dis)charge rate"

Zorbane

Wopian

power demand?

Positive numbers = need more power
Negative numbers = surplus power

Bobstudios | James Harris Creative Design

zenithar47

I second Net Power, it is the most factually correct.

It means the total amount of power that you have left after all the power debts (demands) are subtracted from the power supplied. Positive indicates a surplus of power (being stored in batteries if available), negative indicates a deficit in power that is being supplied by the batteries (if available) and 0 is a perfect balance, where the power supplied matches the power used.

Tynan

You're right. It's just that most people don't make a clear distinction between "power" referring to an amount stored versus a rate of change. Some good suggestions all around but it's apparent that this is a difficult terminology problem.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

zenithar47

Quote from: Tynan on November 17, 2013, 01:07:58 PM
It's just that most people don't make a clear distinction between "power" referring to an amount stored versus a rate of change.

I might be mistaken, but do you not already have a Power Stored already on the page? I may be misunderstanding your statement.

Lechai

"Overall Power Gain"
Its not very fancy, but it says what it is and is hard to get confused

Produno

Cant you just have

Power needed
Power produced

Then let the end user do the math.

deadbeat88

Im all okay with the current labelling. We can just put more info on it as popup or in codex.
Whatever you do, don't do it!