Add Waste to Construct/Food/Crafting Processes

Started by Vaperius, March 21, 2015, 12:42:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vaperius

Summary: When a Colonist Eats something, Craft Something, Build something. He wastes a certain amount of the materials or has leftovers that can be readily used for anything.

These things need to be dumped in trash heaps or with research, be recycled for other uses; such as fertilizer for crops, or recovering the materials to build with again.

Higher level colonists in Crafting or Construction would waste less material. Food would be wasted based on how hunger and how "sated" a colonist is; if the food is tasteless and he not as hungry, he won't eat as much, if the food is delicious and he starving he will eat all of.

This would encourage being conservative with any resource, even food. As well as encourage people to cook higher quality meals. It also require us to logically decide how to deal with waste our colonists create.
I remain Vigilant.

b0rsuk

You could also add a new, cheap material: plastic. Plastic would be totally not recyclable. Players would be free to use at their own peril, if they're fine with heaps of trash around their colonies.
For those that throw a molotov cocktail into plastic stockpile, there would be foul, toxic smoke that kill crops and causes diseases.

BetaSpectre

So in essence trash? This seems a little closer to chemical warefare. And a possible killbox exploit.

Leave trash in long ass maze. Fill the place with toxic fumes. Never worry about raids ever again. You don't even have to pay a cent out of pocket its made of trash.

IMO this is an interesting idea and it might be good but should be kept to a mod for testing.
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░─╤▌██ |
░░░░░░░░─╤▂▃▃▄▄▄███████▄▃|
▂█▃▃▅▅███/█████\█[<BSS>█\███▅▅▅▃▂
◥████████████████████████████████◤
                           TO WAR WE GO

Vaperius

Quote from: BetaSpectre on March 21, 2015, 05:42:27 AM
So in essence trash? This seems a little closer to chemical warefare. And a possible killbox exploit.

Leave trash in long ass maze. Fill the place with toxic fumes. Never worry about raids ever again. You don't even have to pay a cent out of pocket its made of trash.

IMO this is an interesting idea and it might be good but should be kept to a mod for testing.

This isn't something that CAN be modded in...not unless Tynan made it himself...We be dealing with dozens of factors invovled including sanitation levels of a room, and possibly even a new need for colonists (cleanliness) that effects their mood and increases their disease risk...

So this wouldn't be something that affected anyone besides colonists and prisoners.  The dirtier a base/room was the higher the risk that an epidemic could happen and if an operation is done in a dirty room it has a chance higher to failure or serious infection then if it was totally clean...

If it only effected the colonists then it couldn't be exploited...probably...
I remain Vigilant.

Vaperius

Quote from: b0rsuk on March 21, 2015, 05:28:14 AM
You could also add a new, cheap material: plastic. Plastic would be totally not recyclable. Players would be free to use at their own peril, if they're fine with heaps of trash around their colonies.
For those that throw a molotov cocktail into plastic stockpile, there would be foul, toxic smoke that kill crops and causes diseases.

Not really the point of the idea...and plus although noxious...if anything the plastics you'd have access to at the space faring level of technology are probably bioplastics...as their cheaper to produce probably by that time and moreover...are biodegradable...
I remain Vigilant.

BetaSpectre

I'd hate the idea if it only affect colonists. It'd break immersion and realism IMMEDIATELY.
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░─╤▌██ |
░░░░░░░░─╤▂▃▃▄▄▄███████▄▃|
▂█▃▃▅▅███/█████\█[<BSS>█\███▅▅▅▃▂
◥████████████████████████████████◤
                           TO WAR WE GO

Vaperius

Quote from: BetaSpectre on March 22, 2015, 12:39:51 AM
I'd hate the idea if it only affect colonists. It'd break immersion and realism IMMEDIATELY.

I've learned from the arguments in the "Reverse Decision on Trees" Thread enough to know that gameplay being challenging and fun is more important to Tynan then realism; Focus on the topic at hand if you really wanted it you'd need a way for it to NOT be used and abused by the player in a cheaty way
I remain Vigilant.