Updated hydrponics setup

Started by ParadogsGamer, March 21, 2015, 04:24:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ParadogsGamer

Is there an updated hydroponics setup now that pawns can walk through things?

Boboid

Not really - You can now squeeze 24 basins into a lamp's coverage but because there's a significant movement speed penalty for crawling over the basins it's typically not worth it.

Here's a screenshot I took ages ago when someone else was asking about hydro setups.
The standard 16 is on the left, the 24 on the right.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/7f7whjs82mq5gox/screenshot18.png?dl=0
A prison yard is certainly a slightly more elegant solution to Cabin Fever than mine...

I just chop their legs off... legless prisoners don't suffer cabin fever

ParadogsGamer

Don't they need a place to stand in order to sow?

Boboid

A prison yard is certainly a slightly more elegant solution to Cabin Fever than mine...

ParadogsGamer

So I suppose it depends on the crop if you go with one or the other.
If the crop grows quickly (like potatoes), the 16 basin would be preferred while if the crop grows slowly (like devilstrand), the 24 basin would be preferred.

Boboid

You'd have to be crazy or desperate to grow devilstrand in Hydroponics though - Conduit explosions/Solar Flares/Eclipses can all destroy a crop and you've got very little -if any- control over it.
Devilstrand planted in standard growing zones suffers from none of those hazards and additionally doesn't suffer from crop blights.

Even in very cold biomes enclosing areas with sun lamps and heaters is often a much better investment - worst case you can heat the room during solar flares with campfires or build your farms around geothermal vents.

ParadogsGamer

Alright then substitute it for another slow growing crop.

Mikhail Reign

Quote from: ParadogsGamer on March 21, 2015, 07:07:07 AM
Alright then substitute it for another slow growing crop.

But that's the problems. Growing slow growing crops in hydros isn't worth it because you'll probably lose them. Slow growing crops are best grown in large areas in the ground - if they make it to harvest you get more, and if they don't you didn't tie up expensive hydros.

Boboid

The only crop that might sit in that very niche position of having a longish growth time (minimizing basin-crawling) while also having a decent chance of being harvested is Xerigium but frankly when you put Xerigium in hydro basins they grow reasonably quickly, rather negating the whole point :P

ParadogsGamer

Alright so standard 16 is still the way to go.

Mathenaut

Can get the less incident trolling mod if the flares and battery blowing are a bit much in your games.

ParadogsGamer

Quote from: Mathenaut on March 21, 2015, 09:56:00 PM
Can get the less incident trolling mod if the flares and battery blowing are a bit much in your games.
That's very nice although I fail to see the significance here?!?

Mathenaut

Without the solar flare hijinks, longer growth in hydroponics is less nuance. Just be sure to watch your power for other threats though.