Strange Moods

Started by Goldenpotatoes, March 21, 2015, 05:35:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Goldenpotatoes

The game already borrows concepts from DF (not complaining, one of the reasons I enjoy it a lot), I thought it would be interesting to introduce the similar 'strange mood' aspect too.

At random, a colonist that's passionate in art/crafting will drop what they're doing and head for the nearest bench to begin crafting their work. Output should almost always be a masterwork/legendary, as well as come with an art description.

Maybe even have the chance of a modifier on said item for added benefits? I.E higher dismemberment chance/incap for weapons, passive positive thoughts when near it for art.

Would add more interesting playthroughs, having a strange mood more likely to happen after a major event (survived a big raid, seiged, ect).

REMworlder

I have mixed feelings, since I've always thought of fell moods as a sort of dwarf thing. But the concept is super cool. One problem I imagine for Rimworld is the lower number of units under the player's control, so having a crafter who's also your #1 cook or shooter run off and spend a lot of time on a personal project could also be a problem.

For Rimworld, the first analogue that comes to mind is something involving alcohol-drugs, void gods, or personal relationships. Going on a crazy space-drug or joywire trip, having a spiritual void god experience, a colonist making a gift for a biffle. That sort of thing.

Kagemusha12

While I agree that Rimworlds draws a lot of inspirations of DF, I don�t think that it should borrow even more from DF.
For me, as well s for REMworlder, strange moods were always a dwarf thing, just as Tantrums and the fact that everyone, even the smallest childs, consumes alcohol in huge amounts :D

Johnny Masters

What about using the upcoming joy/fun system to handle such personal pursues?

Or perhaps it starts as an event where it prompts a yes/no/later option. If you say yes then the pawn is free to do his thing (could be anything really, event going off map to explore).

Either by using their personal time (joy) or an event prompt (choice) the player doesn't feel cheated in feeling out of control.

I just wouldnt advertise as a straight feature out of dw but as a way to get unique items or resources.

BetaSpectre

IRL people usually don't have these often... But it happens... To some odd people... So maybe if the trait set up is right there should be a moderate chance for this to happen....
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░─╤▌██ |
░░░░░░░░─╤▂▃▃▄▄▄███████▄▃|
▂█▃▃▅▅███/█████\█[<BSS>█\███▅▅▅▃▂
◥████████████████████████████████◤
                           TO WAR WE GO

Kagemusha12

Quote from: Johnny Masters on March 21, 2015, 07:56:18 PM
Or perhaps it starts as an event where it prompts a yes/no/later option. If you say yes then the pawn is free to do his thing (could be anything really, event going off map to explore).

Well, in DF a strange mood could also include that the dwarf in strange mood kills and butchers another dwarf, in order to make a marble statue of a dwarf adorned with hanging rings of dwarf bones

:D

Dran

Why not make a mix of the dwarf fortress idea and yours? For example we can have the odd mood but lets sci-fi it up.

Your colonist finds an odd plant and it sprays some weird liquid at him/her (Get a purple stained face). You can change the plant to anything though. A weird gem, or meteor hell you can even say a freak psychic wave. Also for the hell of it lets chance the effects of it of the odd mood it can't always bee good.

Lazy Mood - Your colonist will do nothing but sleep, eat, drink and do joyful activities. Colonist who see him in this odd mood get angered at the laziness.

Battle Hunger - Your colonist will crave a fight and will get higher and higher negative mood until they fight. Quite the problem if you have a pacifist but good if you he is a hunter.

Stroke of Genius - Your colonist will make something awesome like a perfect world of art. Or a lawn mower that became self aware and thinks the colonist need to be weeded out.

Temporary Insanity - Shooting at nothing in the desert to banging their heads against the tree your colonist has to get a grip! Other side effects include, speaking gibberish, eating rocks, flinging fecal matter, self induced vomiting, beating ones self up, paranoia, obsessing about an "the one onion ring" in a mine, think they're a mufflo, and much much more!

Murderous Rampage - The effected colonist will run towards the nearest living things and kill it at all cost.

The Waiting game - It seems as nothing has happened for now but soon or the effects will kick in! Lets hope it is at a good time and a good mood.

Work Horse - Your colonist will not stop working for anything. Food, sleep, joy or even an attack won't stop him. Also works 2x times faster. Will work till he/she passes out or is confined. If confined there is a risk of temporary insanity.

Split Personality - for a short period of time they believe they are someone else and act differently.

Doppelganger
- A bit like split personality however they will believe they are one of the other colonist and that the real one is just a doppelganger. They will argue or become violent when within range of the person they think they are causing negative mood effects or injury.

I apologize if these are not feasible but I seemed it was a good way to implement Goldenpotatoes idea without being a complete rip off of Dwarf Fortress. However if you guys like it I can come up for more even if it won't work for fun. I kind of enjoyed making this post anyway.  8)

Ryokochan

How about a "Strange Mood" Psychic event? Or an odd response to psychic waves for  dull/insensitive pawns?

Dran

Psychic waves for the most far are bad (unless you need squirrel burgers) and I believe are an attack by mechanoids on humans in general. So having positive psychic wave happen with them is kind of lore breaking. Now that I think about it I'm against positive psychic waves entirely.