Air conditioners and trade

Started by Ralinth, March 21, 2015, 10:08:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ralinth

Are air conditioners blocked by things in front of them, like a work bench or bed? Also, when you trade meat, do you build a little room in the beacon storage area to freeze it, or just cool the whole area?

Boboid

The affected area of an air conditioner ought to be displayed - if there is no blue zone outlined in front of the aircon then it's being blocked by whatever is in front of it.

Also you won't be able to place aircons in locations that block them as far as I know so you can test it.

As for meat I tend to store it all in my main freezer and simply put a trade beacon in my freezer.
A prison yard is certainly a slightly more elegant solution to Cabin Fever than mine...

I just chop their legs off... legless prisoners don't suffer cabin fever

Silvador

Since you can now sell things that are under a roof, and trade beacons aren't really all that expensive (60steel iirc) I just build beacons as needed in any stockpiles I have that I might be selling from. Also, trade beacons do not "occupy" a tile they are on, so stuff stored in that stockpile can still be placed on the same tile a trade beacon is on.

Just make sure you have one beacon outside for receiving bought goods. When buying, that beacon will be prioritised by the falling droppods from traders. Also note, however, that raiders who drop "on top of you" via droppods, will also target said outdoor trade beacon.

milon

^ It's worth noting that they'll target the oldest outside beacon.  The game considers that to be your "primary" beacon.  Use that to your advantage when designing defenses/killboxes.  Also, make the outside beacon have either no stockpile or else a low-priority stockpile.  That way your haulers will keep your stuff inside where it won't degrade.

Quote from: Boboid on March 21, 2015, 10:11:02 PM
The affected area of an air conditioner ought to be displayed - if there is no blue zone outlined in front of the aircon then it's being blocked by whatever is in front of it.

Also you won't be able to place aircons in locations that block them as far as I know so you can test it.

But you can put down an AC first, and block it with something later.  I think the only things that actually block AC are things that block temperature too (walls/doors), but I'm not 100% on that.

Monkfish

I have put heaters and most types of furniture (plant pots, beds, stools, tables, lamps) in front of coolers with zero impact. I also have a triple-cooler setup behind one of my cook stoves in my most recent colony, so my presumption there is that workbenches also don't block coolers.
<insert witty signature here>