What is the current state of Rimworld on Greelight?

Started by rikkarth, March 21, 2015, 11:56:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rikkarth

So, it is probably a question that many are looking to be answered by now.

What is the current state of Rimworld on Greelight?

Are you pushing it away? Or not?

I'm totally sure that you are aware that a lot of people are holding their wallets for the steam release. At the same time we kinda know/feel that you are kinda pushing the Greenlight away.

So please, just answer this question with honesty.
We will be grateful.

loc978

rikkarth

Quote from: loc978 on March 22, 2015, 12:00:11 AM
here's the most recent I can remember seeing Tynan comment on it:
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=9487.msg95233#msg95233

Thanks for the fast reply, but I noticed that the comment from Tynan is 2 months old already, and people (me and some thousands) are getting eager. And there is so much bul**** around the "We want to make the game ready for steam." that drives us insane, and doesn't make sense.

People are waiting for the greenlight so they can throw their f***** wallets to Ludeon and Rimworld. The game is way more playable at this phase than 90% of the Early Access's previously released by other companies. And people know that the game will be updated sooner or later so that argument is totally invalid.

Worst part is that a lot of people are starting to download illegally the game because they just can't stand the urge and it will drive a huge mass of potential buyers out of the count.

Practically, they are just losing people to other new stuff if they are not releasing Rimworld unto steam soon.

I would still be happy to hear a Dev say "We will not be releasing Rimworld unto Steam." - A lot of people would make their heads and buy the game straight away from the website.

Cazakatari

I've noticed that the changes that happen (as far as developement goes) when the game is put on greenlight are not consistently good.  In fact they usually seem to be bad.

I for one think the longer it stays off the better.

loc978

Honestly, I'd be in the same boat if I hadn't done a little work for someone with an active paypal account awhile back. There are very few organizations I trust with my credit card number. Steam is one, PayPal isn't.

...That said, I can see where Tynan is coming from on this issue. Since he's technically in alpha (though apparently he doesn't plan on a beta), he'd wind up releasing into the early access program, which has an *incredibly* bad reputation right now. Can't remember where I saw the numbers quoted, but statistically an early access release of a well-received game basically tanks sales for the final release... and doesn't even come close to making up the numbers.

I won't pretend to understand the herd mentality behind it all... but at the end of the day Tynan is selling a product, so his finances are at the mercy of that herd.

Gennadios

Given the fact that Greenlight is now a wretched hive of iOS ports and Unity assets, I'd say that Rimworld is more than capable of making a splash in it's current state.

On the other hand, players (myself included) have already been burned by the high profile crash of a previous Dwarf Fortress inspired game on Early Access. It's how I learned about Rimworld in fact.

If I set aside Greenlight low expectations, I'd say the game still needs a bit more polish. Too many features feel like placeholders at the moment.

akiceabear

I think it's fine for him to wait - he doesn't "owe" it to anyone to release on Steam, now or ever. I say that as someone that would welcome a Steam version - but am not particularly concerned about the timing.

rikkarth

Quote from: akiceabear on March 22, 2015, 02:50:05 AM
I think it's fine for him to wait - he doesn't "owe" it to anyone to release on Steam, now or ever. I say that as someone that would welcome a Steam version - but am not particularly concerned about the timing.

The thing is that I'm not bothered if the game doesn't release on Steam, but since the ones who buy Rimworld now won't get the steam key, that is kinda holding people back. Because it would be unfair for some people to buy Rimworld and not get the Steam key while a lot of people who bought before the 4th November or something will get it.

So I'm concerned if Rimworld gets fast on Steam or not because I want to know if I'll have to buy the website version or not.

skullywag

Im fine with it as is tbh, I personally dont know what would be involved in moddng for steam workshop and some modders might not want to release their stuff on it (maybe...). Its really my only concern on this subject. I havent had it on steam all this time and its made no difference to me personally.
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

SSS

Quote from: rikkarth on March 22, 2015, 12:19:59 AMWorst part is that a lot of people are starting to download illegally the game because they just can't stand the urge and it will drive a huge mass of potential buyers out of the count.

That's hardly an excuse. As you mentioned, you can buy the game on the main website right now.

rikkarth

Quote from: SSS on March 22, 2015, 10:02:34 AM...you can buy the game on the main website right now.

You won't get the Steam key when/if it is released. And that's why people are holding back.

magicbush

Quote from: SSS on March 22, 2015, 10:02:34 AM
Quote from: rikkarth on March 22, 2015, 12:19:59 AMWorst part is that a lot of people are starting to download illegally the game because they just can't stand the urge and it will drive a huge mass of potential buyers out of the count.

That's hardly an excuse. As you mentioned, you can buy the game on the main website right now.

I would be in the same boat if I didnt get the game when I did since you cannot get the keys now. Seems pretty valid to me :p.

fatyguy

Quote from: rikkarth on March 22, 2015, 10:22:51 AM
Quote from: SSS on March 22, 2015, 10:02:34 AM...you can buy the game on the main website right now.

You won't get the Steam key when/if it is released. And that's why people are holding back.

That's hardly a valid reason.

As to comment on the OP, I for one love that this game isn't on greenlight since the herds on people on there don't understand what early assess is or entails and having tons of people spam bad reviews would hurt in the long run.

Vonholtz

Quote from: loc978 on March 22, 2015, 12:33:29 AM
Honestly, I'd be in the same boat if I hadn't done a little work for someone with an active paypal account awhile back. There are very few organizations I trust with my credit card number. Steam is one, PayPal isn't.
It funny I have been using PayPal for over 12 years now and I have hand no trouble with them and credit cards. I will say that I have been using steam for close to 10 years and have had not trouble with them ether. Hell I have had more trouble with credit card fraud from big  retail outlets.

But I can not blame you for being careful I might just be lucky I don't use my credit cards much online. Hell even on steam now I mostly just go pay cash for the gift cards and use them. And I will also say that getting Rimworld on steam will get it in to a larger market and a easy way to pay.

Novellum

Quote from: fatyguy on March 22, 2015, 12:18:01 PM
Quote from: rikkarth on March 22, 2015, 10:22:51 AM

That's hardly a valid reason.

As to comment on the OP, I for one love that this game isn't on greenlight since the herds on people on there don't understand what early assess is or entails and having tons of people spam bad reviews would hurt in the long run.
The game is already on Greenlight.