Intriguing
9 (34.6%)
Amazing
6 (23.1%)
MUST HAVE NOW
8 (30.8%)

Total Members Voted: 26

DNK

Simple idea: buildings (like production/decoration/furniture) that improve worker efficiency/speed/quality within a given radius/room.

For example, you have a medical room with a medical bed. The bed already improves effectiveness, but wait! You've also got a "medical tray" in the room, which increases the effectiveness of any doctor working within 5 tiles. Also, you've got a "life support system", which increases the healing effectiveness/rate of anyone within 5 tiles.

Or, another example, you have a cook stove. Next to it you now also could have a "extra range", which increases your cook's speed by 10%, and next to that you have an "advanced cooking utensil container", which increases speed and quality by 15%, etc, etc.

The point isn't just to make things faster, but to create a new category of buildings (which modders can go crazy with) that serve multiple purposes:
1) obvious increase effectiveness of tasks
2) add something to decorate rooms fitting a given category (now a medical bay is more than just a medical bed)
3) add something that allows you to modularly improve your colony's effectiveness with lesser cost:benefit buildings
4) add something that gives additional research trees to allow the player to strategize more with his expanding colony's needs

DNK

And of course, it could work with the new joy system.

Example: radio - increases joy by X happies (whatever the unit of measure will be) within a room.

Johnny Masters

It's like eye candy but with benefits!

+1

kingtyris

I like it. Someone a while back had a thread about modular constructions that provide adjacency bonuses.

Kegereneku

I like the idea a lot.

only remark : we might have to find a way to avoid cluttering the Architect menu if we get a lot of them.

Quote from: Johnny Masters on March 23, 2015, 02:39:01 PM
It's like eye candy but with benefits!

+1

I'm giving a +1 to your way of seeing it.
"Sam Starfall joined your colony"
"Sam Starfall left your colony with all your valuable"
-------
Write an Event
[Story] Write an ending ! (endless included)
[Story] Imagine a Storyteller !

hector212121

Simple. "Tools" menu and submenus for each job.

Mckee

I think it's a fantastic idea in itself, but also adds massive modding opportunity.

Coenmcj

Aura nodes for rimworld colonists! I'm down for this for sure.
Moderator on discord.gg/rimworld come join us! We don't bite

Mathenaut

I could go with this. Would suggest keeping the bonuses within the ~5% range though.

daft73

Picked 'intriguing'. Might be a nice addition, depending on how it is implemented. I concur a small bonus is key though, could easily get outta hand. Also the AoE(area of effect) is important.

DNK

Hey, looks like I came up with a winner!
  :D
I agree bonuses should be minor.

I also forgot to mention that, yes, the modding ability it adds is a major reason.

Regarding area of effect, I'm thinking it would be dual, as in X tiles andalso in the same room. X would likely be best at 5-10 at most, perhaps with diminishing bonuses with increasing distance.

Johnny Masters

I'm still trying to figure out if the bonus should be small or big, and i'm taking suggestions.

Should, for example, should a doctor operating in a 
a) bare med-bay (no scans, tools, etc) be made at a penalty, and said equipment negates the penalty (and extra apparatus giving actual bonuses)  or
b) the doctor always operates at full capability and apparatus only give bonuses?

I figure that there should be a way to prevent equipment overcrowd. So i think each equipment after the first or second should give progressively inferior bonuses. Also, if they are to be impacting they should come with a heavy investment, in price, time or energy. So it is possible to have a glitterworld med-bay with huge bonuses (i don't see a problem with that, if you invested heavily into it), but said bonuses comes with a hefty cost.

daft73

Quote from: Kegereneku on March 23, 2015, 07:15:35 PM
I like the idea a lot.

only remark : we might have to find a way to avoid cluttering the Architect menu if we get a lot of them.

Maybe they could be place-able zones. To prevent abuse there could be a limit of how many to make , say 5, after that you would encounter diminishing returns.

Coenmcj

Quote from: daft73 on March 24, 2015, 08:02:47 PM
I like the idea a lot.

Maybe they could be place-able zones. To prevent abuse there could be a limit of how many to make , say 5, after that you would encounter diminishing returns.
But if they were to be zones we would need of balancing them, like, you couldn't just place them down and have them work instantly.
Moderator on discord.gg/rimworld come join us! We don't bite

daft73

Quote from: Coenmcj on March 24, 2015, 09:23:32 PM
Quote from: daft73 on March 24, 2015, 08:02:47 PM
I like the idea a lot.

But if they were to be zones we would need of balancing them, like, you couldn't just place them down and have them work instantly.

I agree, still brainstorming concepts, hoping the community might have some ideas.  ;D

Could be 'x' furniture/distraction * 3 + walls, door = working zone.

Maybe an entertainer skill set, much in the same manor as warden. Colonist goes to 'entertain' fellow colonists in need of R&R.

Possibly research involved.