[Alpha 11] Life in the Ruins: a YATACS thread - UPDATED!

Started by milon, March 23, 2015, 04:18:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

milon

Life in the Ruins
Yet Another Try At Community Stories

This is inspired by a General Discussion thread, What happens after you leave?

Life in the Ruins is an effort to generate more community stories/games.  The basic idea is to play/experiment in the ruins of someone else's colony.  You don't need to include new colonists with your uploaded save file.

Details:
- Play a game until your colonists are gone (ship takeoff or colony death)
- Save & upload the game (.rwm & .rww), include screenshot(s) if you like
- Give a brief description of the map including biome and any major features
- List any mods used

When you download a save, you can either spawn random colonist(s) with the Dev Mode tool, or just fast forward until you get a Colonist Joins You event.

Suggested form to use when uploading:

Colony Name: Life in the Ruins
RimWorld Version: Alpha 11
Screenshots: Insert here, if applicable
How your colony ended: Horrible, horrible Boomrat death
Description: Brief description of the ruins, resources, and any current threats (ie. Base is 75% burned down, the food was all eaten by the boomrats, and an unlucky lightning strike opened a small mechanoid hive.)
Storyteller: Randy, 100%
Mods Used: none
Save Files: URL to .rwm & .rww files

Dive

I think that is a good idea, I enjoy watching my colony slowly decaying over time after my colonists are gone. But I never got a random new colonist, even though I've been waiting for as long as 5 months.
Anyway, what about difficulty? Should I leave it as it was during the game or should I lower it to RR-casual in order to keep my colony in a good shape as long as possible?

apljee

I'll be participating in this in a bit - I've just got to finish my colony. :P

milon

Quote from: Dive on March 23, 2015, 05:09:38 PM
Anyway, what about difficulty? Should I leave it as it was during the game or should I lower it to RR-casual in order to keep my colony in a good shape as long as possible?

Leave it as it was.  I'll add a field to the suggested format to state what storyteller/difficulty.  But it's easily changeable from the Options menu, so people can choose another if they want.

Tequilas

My thoughts of chiming in on this are well over deep. Also, good news for me: colony is in perfectly good shape. Not sure if that was needed.

Later dude!

Dive

So, after waiting for someone to join for 2 hours in FF I thought of a suggestion: what if a participant leaves the colony running for whatever the time he thinks is reasonable, and than causes a wandererjoin event through the devmode menu. Because I'm afraid by the time someone decides to join naturally my colony will not have a single block of wall left.

Coenmcj

What about the status of the surrounding area, Any conditions at all? if it's death by mechanoids, then will those be destroyed or left there when the random colonist joins?
Moderator on discord.gg/rimworld come join us! We don't bite

BetaSpectre

░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░─╤▌██ |
░░░░░░░░─╤▂▃▃▄▄▄███████▄▃|
▂█▃▃▅▅███/█████\█[<BSS>█\███▅▅▅▃▂
◥████████████████████████████████◤
                           TO WAR WE GO

milon

@Tequilas, I'd like to hear your thoughts about this idea.
@Dive, yes, use the Colonist Joined event at a reasonable time (which will be the most common way to get one, in sure).
@Coenmcj, that's up to you, but make sure to note any major/immediate threats in your description.

Panzer

This is such a great idea, yet I dont see any savegames  :-\ Guess I ll start then, hopefully someone else will post some, would love to play someone elses colony  ;D

Colony Name:
Outpost A10f
RimWorld Version: Alpha 10f
Screenshots: see attachments
How your colony ended: Spaceship escape
Description: My first alpha 10 colony, set up in a very rainy large hills jungle biome, escape after 4 years. The base is mostly intact, raiders thrashed the living room though. No turrets, no mortars, simple killzone (sort of), some resources, metal is mostly gone though, plenty of metal veins in the surrounding area. Freezer is huge and stuffed, needs to be switched on though before stuff starts to rot. A lot of medical supplies, some bionics and good weapons are still in the stockpiles, took the good stuff with me though (haha ^^).
Storyteller: Randy, Challenge
Save Files: https://www.dropbox.com/s/0kvdbc8nvrl7dyj/Life%20in%20the%20ruins%20-%20OutpostA10f.zip?dl=0

[attachment deleted due to age]

Panzer

Here is another one, this one fell prey to raiders early on  :'(

Colony Name:
Zipflheim
RimWorld Version: Alpha 10f
Screenshots: see attachments
How your colony ended: Siege, Melee raid & crazed animal
Description: Set up in a very cold large hills boreal biome, this colony died to raiders at the end of year 1. Just as the siege was dealt with, a new pack of raiders appeared and finished everyone but one guy off and thrashed most of the base, my last guy was lacerated by a crazed hare which is still around, so be careful, a single bite and you might die to infection. The walls are still standing and the corpses are well preserved due to the cold weather, most of the power supply is gone except that geothermal generator which should ve powered my greenhouse.
Storyteller: Randy, Challenge
Save Files: https://www.dropbox.com/s/aoeklq29li43vl7/Life%20in%20the%20ruins%20-%20Zipflheim.zip?dl=0

[attachment deleted due to age]

Adamiks

Nice. I would like to add some saves too, but i'm too pro and i have mods :D

milon

Mods are fine, as long as you state which mods you used.  The idea is to avoid save incompatibility.

killer117

I love this idea. Ill try this soon as i can. But wouldnt it be cool if you could put ur empty trashed base here, then someone else could move in, like the normal start to rimworld, exept theres a huge ruined colony already there when u arrive
Whats Rimworld without a little cannabilism/ murder/ maniacs/ crazy tribes/ nasty pirates/ nutcase animals/ genocidal robots etc.