Anti solar flare equipment

Started by tylers2001, March 24, 2015, 04:10:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tylers2001

anyone else every had devilstrand that is about an hour away from harvestable and a solar flare happen? It is absolutely devastating. so why cant we make something with some copper net around it so the radiation waves are collected in that? and same thing with batteries.
There is a difference between me and you. I'm the one still standing.

daft73

Quote from: tylers2001 on March 24, 2015, 04:10:47 PM
anyone else every had devilstrand that is about an hour away from harvestable and a solar flare happen? It is absolutely devastating. so why cant we make something with some copper net around it so the radiation waves are collected in that? and same thing with batteries.

Best bet is to grow devilstrand, outside..it does not suffer from destroyed crops.

RemingtonRyder

I have a modpack with hardened, uranium-powered hydroponics. I don't know if it's exactly balanced, but in my current game I'm yet to make any more than eight of those basins.

Minor weakness is that a solar flare can still kill devilstrand if the temperature dips too low with the heating being off. If you have wood though, campfires will stave that off.

NephilimNexus

What you'd need is a Farraday Cage, which in turn would be a special kind of insulated wall.  That's the easy part.  The hard part would be reworking how solar flares work.  Right now it's obviously just a blanket "shut everything down automatically" command, but a more realistic one would be to simulate a large EMP wave that sweeps across the planet's surface, passing through (and effecting) everything that isn't EMP-hardened in some way.

Do that and now your new shock-resistant structures come into play to save the day.

daveboy2000

afaik Ratys is working on a mod to harden against solar flares, so it's just a matter of patience.

Kasdar

Quote from: daveboy2000 on April 18, 2015, 04:46:43 PM
afaik Ratys is working on a mod to harden against solar flares, so it's just a matter of patience.

Its part of his fusebox mod.

daveboy2000

yeah, he was still working on it when I posted that. :p