Start out with a visible shipwreck

Started by Mckee, March 24, 2015, 07:20:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

skullywag

if people can do me some art (use the ship in the menu screen as a style guide) ill add this in, I have the code just need the art.
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

Fuhman

Quote from: skullywag on April 02, 2015, 04:34:51 PM
if people can do me some art (use the ship in the menu screen as a style guide) ill add this in, I have the code just need the art.

If there was one essential mod in my opinion, you've nearly made it.

Skullywag aside, I don't agree with any form of benefit for the player; you've crash landed and it will be incredible hard to find anything particularly useful from the crashed parts of your ship. Food, for example, will have burnt up, along with most salvageable equipment. The crashed ship should simply stand as a permanent reminder of your beginnings and, at best, a minor shelter or impassable barrier to defend yourself behind.

skullywag

I was gonna make it mineable, that was about it, just to get a small amount of steel. Ive coded nothing else.

On the subject of art due to how ive coded it itll have to be similar to the crashed ship part in that it must be square or rectangular it cannot really have diagonals. (well it can but itll behave weirdly when mined) feel free to leave it rough on the edges though or whatever you see fit.
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

quxzcover

Quote from: Fuhman on April 02, 2015, 04:42:17 PM

Skullywag aside, I don't agree with any form of benefit for the player; you've crash landed and it will be incredible hard to find anything particularly useful from the crashed parts of your ship. Food, for example, will have burnt up, along with most salvageable equipment. The crashed ship should simply stand as a permanent reminder of your beginnings and, at best, a minor shelter or impassable barrier to defend yourself behind.
i completely don't agree with this. high tech space age ship parts that are highly protected against the environment, heat and anything else. almost everything would survive except the stuff that blew up from the thing that made you crash land. if all the gear isn't that lucky there's a 100 percent chance you would have died to. a escape pod made to survive, parts of ship that were build to survive, fuhman, the point you made is inconclusive.

Fuhman

Quote from: quxzcover on April 03, 2015, 08:05:16 PM
Quote from: Fuhman on April 02, 2015, 04:42:17 PM

i completely don't agree with this. high tech space age ship parts that are highly protected against the environment, heat and anything else. almost everything would survive except the stuff that blew up from the thing that made you crash land. if all the gear isn't that lucky there's a 100 percent chance you would have died to. a escape pod made to survive, parts of ship that were build to survive, fuhman, the point you made is inconclusive.

Ships stay in space and usually don't attempt to burn up in the atmosphere. Escape pods try to make sure the inhabitants and anything inside don't burn up. Look at contemporary shuttle crashes - despite the measures in place, it disintergrates: the fact you have even a lump crashing down with you is a miracle.

Kegereneku

Aeronautic technician here and huge SF fan.

First we are clearly in a soft-SF setting. And what we are discussing is like expecting an Airliner to survive reentry. A rocket that was never meant to land wouldn't even be aerodynamic so reentry would be utterly disastrous.

That's realistically at least.
You could say that Space-future rocket for which reducing-mass don't seem to matter could be resistant like a Star-wars spacecraft or not. But all case a rocket that BROKE IN PIECE is not usually expected to have kept anyeverything safe.
Consider the following logic : A future-rocket have its armor on the outside and barely space-rated wall inside in case of hole in the hulls. Now imagine a ship CUT IN TWO, well, are those wall also rated for reentry ? Are they still intact and not pierced by whatever split the ship ? Is half a ship capable of surviving lithobraking

My point ? You can pretend whatever you want of the shipwreck to survive but the only way for a Colonist to survive is in a self-contained droppod (also made to slow them)
If it where up to me the "spaceship escape Ending" would also require to build a wall surrounding the cryptopods
"Sam Starfall joined your colony"
"Sam Starfall left your colony with all your valuable"
-------
Write an Event
[Story] Write an ending ! (endless included)
[Story] Imagine a Storyteller !

quxzcover

Quote from: Kegereneku on April 04, 2015, 08:06:11 AM
Aeronautic technician here and huge SF fan.

First we are clearly in a soft-SF setting. And what we are discussing is like expecting an Airliner to survive reentry. A rocket that was never meant to land wouldn't even be aerodynamic so reentry would be utterly disastrous.

That's realistically at least.
You could say that Space-future rocket for which reducing-mass don't seem to matter could be resistant like a Star-wars spacecraft or not. But all case a rocket that BROKE IN PIECE is not usually expected to have kept anyeverything safe.
Consider the following logic : A future-rocket have its armor on the outside and barely space-rated wall inside in case of hole in the hulls. Now imagine a ship CUT IN TWO, well, are those wall also rated for reentry ? Are they still intact and not pierced by whatever split the ship ? Is half a ship capable of surviving lithobraking

My point ? You can pretend whatever you want of the shipwreck to survive but the only way for a Colonist to survive is in a self-contained droppod (also made to slow them)
If it where up to me the "spaceship escape Ending" would also require to build a wall surrounding the cryptopods
well for anyone whose ever played a space game have you ever seen those massive battle cruisers or carriers? something broken apart in space like that made to hold a civilization, maybe it got attacked and some of the hundreds of modules including the well armored crypto sleep containment area fell into to orbit and eventually onto the surface of a rimworld it was passing by. im not talking about tiny rockets im talking about a massive meteor storm of modules where at least something like an amoury or med bay has got to survive. and if its put together like modules when you build a space ship if it fell apart some modules would be crippled but others would fall apart. and keep there intact outside wall. and what about if massive parts of the ship fell down. interior walls wouldn't instantly dissolve and might save somethings. this reply has been made purely for argument sake and i don't expect anything here to be a realty in rim world but it brings up some good facts.

TrashMan

Quote from: Tynan on March 28, 2015, 02:32:37 AM
It's actually something I've wanted to do for a while; it's just a matter of finding the time to actually do it. But yeah, sounds like a great idea.

You got an army of modders would would happily contribute code and art for free.
Use those resources, man.

Kegereneku

Quote from: quxzcover on April 13, 2015, 03:44:44 PM
well for anyone whose ever played a space game have you ever seen those massive battle cruisers or carriers? something broken apart in space like that made to hold a civilization, maybe it got attacked and some of the hundreds of modules including the well armored crypto sleep containment area fell into to orbit and eventually onto the surface of a rimworld it was passing by. im not talking about tiny rockets im talking about a massive meteor storm of modules where at least something like an amoury or med bay has got to survive. and if its put together like modules when you build a space ship if it fell apart some modules would be crippled but others would fall apart. and keep there intact outside wall. and what about if massive parts of the ship fell down. interior walls wouldn't instantly dissolve and might save somethings. this reply has been made purely for argument sake and i don't expect anything here to be a realty in rim world but it brings up some good facts.

Just to say, it was a little straining to read such compressed text.
That aside, all is possible in the real of SF and you'll want to invoke a certain feeling. Rimworld is to me more about relatively small ship. Not flying city, not Aircraft-Carrier, more like small frigate.
I certainly wasn't saying everything would dissolve, but only the big stuff like armor is expected to resist the shock. It's not because you put eggs in a safe that they'll resist the safe falling from the sky.

Again, all for the sake of argumentation, Tynan will surely choose whatever is balanced and sound credible.
"Sam Starfall joined your colony"
"Sam Starfall left your colony with all your valuable"
-------
Write an Event
[Story] Write an ending ! (endless included)
[Story] Imagine a Storyteller !