Deconstruction & Steel Slag Questions

Started by MisterVertigo, March 25, 2015, 11:58:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MisterVertigo

Greetings all! I know that it takes 6 stone blocks to make one stone wall segment. If I change my mind later when I re-design my base and I deconstruct that wall, will I get all 6 blocks back? Same goes for turrets. A steel turret costs 160 metal. Will I get all that back if I deconstruct it?

Second, if a turret is destroyed in a kill box it leaves behind slag. I pick up all the steel slag and melt it down into steel again. Will the amount of steel I get from the slag cover the 160 metal I need to replace the turret?

I apologize if these have been asked before, but my search-fu didn't turn up anything. Thank you!
"In vertigo you will be..."

"Relax, people. It's a teeny indie game; don't kill it with love." - Bozobub

Monkfish

No. Some of the resources are lost. I believe, if I remember correctly, that you get 4 blocks back from a wall.

The steel gained from smelting slag produced by an exploded turret will be less (quite a bit so, I believe) than the steel required to build it in the first place. This not being the case would be quite the exploit/oversight.
<insert witty signature here>

MisterVertigo

I figured that some of the resources were lost but I wasn't sure how many. I'm debating changing the defenses of my base from kill boxes to something a bit less "explodey". I think I will save resources in the long run if I can help keep my turrets around a bit longer.

Thank you!
"In vertigo you will be..."

"Relax, people. It's a teeny indie game; don't kill it with love." - Bozobub

Boboid

I believe you get 75% of the materials when deconstructing.

As for a destroyed turret - You'll get 40 steel and 5 slag chunks. Each slag chunk melts down into 8 steel so you'll only get 80 steel back.

Interestingly in A8 the amount of steel you got per slag scaled with crafting skill and its own modifiers - in many cases with a high skill colonist you could generate more steel than you put into the structure by destroying it and melting down the slag :)
A prison yard is certainly a slightly more elegant solution to Cabin Fever than mine...

I just chop their legs off... legless prisoners don't suffer cabin fever