Z levels possible?

Started by code99xx, March 25, 2015, 01:30:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

code99xx

I know this has probably been asked before and I bet there are threads about this somewhere on these forums but i couldnt find them.

Only thing i found was someone mentioning that Z levels are not possible with the current engine ... is that true?

Whats the official say on this? Will there be different levels later on?

EscapeZeppelin

There are no z levels possible without major work on the engine and none are planned.

code99xx

Quote from: EscapeZeppelin on March 25, 2015, 01:39:56 PM
There are no z levels possible without major work on the engine and none are planned.

Ok, well thats a pitty, would certanly be nice to have em ...

Justin C

I think the decision not to have depth is less a matter of difficulty and more just a design choice. It's not easy to implement them as the game currently is because he never intended on having them anyway.

ZestyLemons

Actually, there are Z levels (it's Unity and it's actually a 3d world), they are possible.

It's just not in the scope of RimWorld at the moment.
Help out with the wiki!

Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Divaya/
Wiki: http://rimworldwiki.com/wiki/User:Zesty

Feel free to contact me about wiki questions or wiki admin stuff.

Coenmcj

Quote from: ZestyLemons on March 25, 2015, 07:26:43 PM

Actually, there are Z levels (it's Unity and it's actually a 3d world), they are possible.

It's just not in the scope of RimWorld at the moment.
Aye, Unity is naturally 3D supporting. and rimworld (iirc) runs off of a 3 Dimensional co-ordinate system. However it's been stated previously that Rimworld is not heading in the Z-Level direction
Moderator on discord.gg/rimworld come join us! We don't bite

Silvador

akiceabear

Adding elevation to the map - digging down a level and mining there, building up a level or climbing mountains, etc. Tynan has said while the coordinates are built it, the pathing and other behavior AI would be far to complex to take elevation into account, so its highly unlikely in this game.

Coenmcj

Quote from: Silvador on March 26, 2015, 07:23:09 AM
What's a Z level?
Co-ordinates run off of an X-Y-Z system, where X and Y are your left/right and your forward/back, Z is your up and down.
Moderator on discord.gg/rimworld come join us! We don't bite

Johnny Masters

Tynan didn't discard the idea entirely, so even if its waay down the road, there's hope for us z-folks. I don't feel the need for dozens of levels, but a simple underground and top level would do the trick, it certainly adds a few layers badumtss of fun and strategy to the game.

Silvador

Quote from: Coenmcj on March 26, 2015, 07:32:30 PM
Quote from: Silvador on March 26, 2015, 07:23:09 AM
What's a Z level?
Co-ordinates run off of an X-Y-Z system, where X and Y are your left/right and your forward/back, Z is your up and down.

Ah, thanks. I wasn't entirely sure.