Steam Keys

Started by TMilla0, March 25, 2015, 07:00:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TMilla0

I've been looking at the site and debating on whether or not to purchase this game for the past hour. The thing is, I really want a Steam key, but purchasing from the website will no longer give a free Steam key as of last November. That's Steam policy and that's fine. On the other hand, if I wait the game will probably be more expensive by the time it comes out. With the depth of stuff that could be added to this game, it might end up being a $50.

From some of the discussions I've read, some Indie developers are still willing to give out the Steam keys, but they are paying out of pocket for the keys. I'm not sure if this is true or how to verify it, but it gave me this idea. Would it be possible for Ludeon to make a "DLC" of sorts that will cover the cost of the Steam key for them once RimWorld is available on Steam just for the people who purchased the game from the website? I would be willing to pay $5 or something like that for the key.

The major reason I want a Steam key is for Steam Cloud and their modding community. For most of the games that I play, there are at least a few mods (usually more) that I use that are only shared on Steam. Not being able to use those mods would be very annoying and I wouldn't want to purchase the game again from Steam.

Now, I'm not sure how much work it would take for Ludeon to make this happen, and I would understand if it would be far too much work, but if it is possible I would be willing to buy the game right now. Who knows when the game will finally be launched on Steam and for what price.

Desalvo

I bought the 40$ pack with my name included in the game. So far i'm not liking where the game is going, and i had ridiculous issues with the name in game portion of it. I'm not going to support this game any further. Not getting a steam key was also an issue for me. At the time i bought the game, the issue about steam keys was not very visible. I only found out after i bought it.

Tynan

Well, FYI, there's no plan to raise the price. Just in case that's useful to you.

As for the Steam keys situation, I'm afraid there's not much more I can do. Valve is Valve, I don't argue with them! And I think their position is fair, ultimately.

Desalvo - hope we'll win you back some day.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

BassMonroe

Quote from: Desalvo on March 26, 2015, 05:03:08 PM
I bought the 40$ pack with my name included in the game. So far i'm not liking where the game is going, and i had ridiculous issues with the name in game portion of it. I'm not going to support this game any further. Not getting a steam key was also an issue for me. At the time i bought the game, the issue about steam keys was not very visible. I only found out after i bought it.

You should always read the FAQ's/Roadmaps before buying anything.

Also when you buy an alpha/beta game the developer always has his own plan, if you don't like where the game is going then thats not his problem (Unless everybody objects to the way the games going)  :)

Desalvo

Quote from: Tynan on March 27, 2015, 12:32:47 AM
Well, FYI, there's no plan to raise the price. Just in case that's useful to you.

As for the Steam keys situation, I'm afraid there's not much more I can do. Valve is Valve, I don't argue with them! And I think their position is fair, ultimately.

I think you do a good job and would be willing to support your work. I guess i didn't have the same vision as you for this game, and that is fine as it is yours. I think this game will be great for many people, and i still recommend it to my friends, which they bought after i told them about Rimworld. They love it, and so did i, until last update. But no worries, i know who could like this game and do recommend it for them.

But the last update, and the issue with my name turned me off

TheVoidDragon

Valve haven't said anything about you not being able to give them away once the game is actually on Steam though, have they? The Steam Greenlight page mentions you can do that and lots of games seem include a Steam key as well as DRM-free version when buying from outside of Steam.

MeatHaven

Quote from: TheVoidDragon on March 30, 2015, 08:13:33 AM

Valve haven't said anything about you not being able to give them away once the game is actually on Steam though, have they? The Steam Greenlight page mentions you can do that and lots of games seem include a Steam key as well as DRM-free version when buying from outside of Steam.

I think the reason is simple, if the game isn't purchased through Steam, Valve doesn't make money, and giving out keys also doesn't make them money.

Tynan

They specifically don't want people selling Steam keys off Steam. That's the core rule. Promising Steam keys to get later is just too much like that, which I entirely respect.

narkul

So I hope I'm still getting a steam key, I bought the game from the website a long time ago, I think it said that the purchase included a steam key.

How do all these other early access games on desura manage to give out steam keys to everyone who bought the game months before it shows up on steam? I bought The Spatials almost a year ago, and just went to humble bundle, and got a steam key.

Tynan

Yeah, they said I could give it out to people who bought before that date.

To distribute keys I'll just set up a simple web database that can auto-assign and mail you a key.

Plzbanme

Quote from: Tynan on March 30, 2015, 04:15:11 PM
They specifically don't want people selling Steam keys off Steam. That's the core rule. Promising Steam keys to get later is just too much like that, which I entirely respect.
I have never heard of this before. I didn't check out the FQA till after I bought the game. I have always heard that Valve would allow to give out steam key to anyone that bought your game before hand. Personally I would push the issue and see what kinda of deal could be made. Such as buying keys for your game at a highly reduced price. Valve if I recall takes roughly 33 percent of every game sold on steam. A deal of 10-20 percent might be enough to allow you to get the keys you need. They already are not going to make money off people that bought off steam, might be the push they need.

TheSilencedScream

Quote from: Tynan on March 30, 2015, 07:54:44 PM

To distribute keys I'll just set up a simple web database that can auto-assign and mail you a key.

And there's a possibility that those after the date may get a Steam key as well.
It can't be promised, but it isn't ruled out, if I understand correctly.
Quote from: Topper on August 31, 2015, 03:33:25 AM
is the sledgehammer compatible with the romance mod?
Only in Rimworld.

Tynan

Quote from: TheSilencedScream on March 30, 2015, 10:58:09 PM
Quote from: Tynan on March 30, 2015, 07:54:44 PM

And there's a possibility that those after the date may get a Steam key as well.
It can't be promised, but it isn't ruled out, if I understand correctly.

Yes.

TheVoidDragon

Quote from: Tynan on March 30, 2015, 04:15:11 PM

That seems a strange thing for them to say considering the Greenlight page says this:

If my game is accepted through Steam Greenlight, can I give my previous customers keys for the Steam version?

Once your game is accepted for distribution on Steam, we will give you as many keys for your game as you want at no cost.

The game was definitely worth buying even if Steam Keys aren't included, though.

rikkarth

I'm holding myself for the steam version. I would like to buy several copies for me and my cousins, but the steam key is an issue.

We love this game, we've been watching lots of gameplays, but I personally don't want to throw a lot of money for a game outside steam and not get the key for it.

I've supported a few new games, and this is the first time I've seen this happening.

Still I'll wait for the steam release or for the eventual solid promise of receiving a key if I buy it from the website.