[A12] BackstoriesCore Update 10

Started by mipen, March 26, 2015, 05:58:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mipen

Description:
This mod adds a new def type - BackstoryDefs! These let you write your own backstories which are then added into the game! The mod itself is just a framework to add the new backstories, but I will post download links to backstories written by others and myself for you to add to your game. Also added by this mod are NameDefs, which let you add custom names to the game, and PawnBioDefs, which let you add custom unique bios for pawns, which means that you can group two backstories together and they will only appear on one pawn in a game, letting you create unique stories for pawns.

How to:
To create your own backstory, install the mod, then open the .zip file inside the defs folder, called Templates. Extract the BackstoryDefTemplate.xml into the BackstoryDefs folder, then open it. I have detailed how to go about making your own backstory inside this template file, so just follow through that :) If you need some points of reference, then open the CoreBackstoryDefs.xml and look at the backstories I have written. To add your own in-game name, extract the NameDefTemplate to the NameDefs folder. I have written how to make your own name inside this file, so just follow the hints.

A basic understanding of xml coding will be greatly beneficial for doing this, so if you don't know anything at all about xml, I would suggest doing some basic tutorials on the internet to get yourself familiar with it. It would also help you with other mods :D

If you write a really good backstory and want to submit it to me to be in a backstory package, feel free to do so! :)

Download:
You can download the mod from GitHub here.

Backstory Downloads:
Linked here are some backstory packages written by others and myself:
CoreBackstories
Yogscast Names
Backstories by Andouce
Backstories by Igabod
Backstories by Mokona

No screenshots here, as there isn't really anything to show.

Thank you to Tynan for giving permission for backstories to be modded in :D

Changelog:

>>Update 10
--Updated to A12
--Changed versioning to something better (Alpha.Update.Fixes)
>>Update 9
--Fixed bug caused by PawnBioDefs
>>Update 7
--Changed how defs are added, the game should now no longer require a restart after mods are changed.
>>Update 6
--Updated to alpha 11
>>u5
--Misc changes and fixes
>>u4
--Changing mods now does not require you to restart the game.
--Added Yogscast names package
>>u3
--Restructuring of the mod, now is just a framework
--Added pawn bios
--Released some backstory packages
--This release is not backward compatible
>>u2
--Updated to A10f
>>u1.2
--Added name defs - you can now make your own names.
--Added templates and hints on how to make your own backstory and name

Andouce

This is brilliant. Going to give this a go for sure. This along with "Prepare Carefully" will allow even more customization to our characters/pawns.

I'll be writing quite a few background stories so may take me some time before I actually get to test it lol

Just tried now and works a treat. Thanks Tyan and Mipen for bringing this to the community. Really great addition. You can download some of my Backstories here. Just place them in the "BackstoryDefs" folder of this mod. Fully compatible

mipen

Quote from: Andouce on March 26, 2015, 07:00:04 AM
This is brilliant. Going to give this a go for sure. This along with "Prepare Carefully" will allow even more customization to our characters/pawns.

skullywag

Nice work Mipen, this kind of thing will help with imersion immensly.

Also thanks Tynan for allowing this.
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

rooki1

PineyCreek

Could you post an example? I'm not really getting how to format it.

MyNameIsSpyder

cythedag

Wonderful mod. I love the flexibility of this game.

Igabod

Awesome, I am glad someone finally did this. I'm probably going to write up a bunch of new backstories now. I'll be sure to post what I come up with on here for everybody else to use.

mipen

Quote from: Igabod on March 26, 2015, 06:08:28 PM
Awesome, I am glad someone finally did this. I'm probably going to write up a bunch of new backstories now. I'll be sure to post what I come up with on here for everybody else to use.
Would you mind if I add some of them to the base mod?

Igabod

Quote from: mipen on March 26, 2015, 07:35:13 PM
Quote from: Igabod on March 26, 2015, 06:08:28 PM
Would you mind if I add some of them to the base mod?

Yeah, sure you can add them. I've currently just done 2 new ones, one adult and one child. Both are farming focused. I'll do more as my time and creativity permit and will post them when I have at least one for each main job focus for both adult and child. Then I might start working on more creative ones after I do those.

Dragoon

YAY I've always wanted to make my own backstory (always coming with names in my head so ) ;D
edit: Hey can you add what work disables actually do ? I know that hauling and research are pretty obvious but things like caring and scary or manual skilled or manual dumb aren't the most obvious.
Quote from: faltonico
I truly can't understand that sense of balancing a LOT of modders have, pouring more resources on something doesn't make it more difficult, but more annoying. It is not engaging, even if i'm swimming in silver at late game ¿why to bother?, why all the effort to get there?.

blaze7736

This is an amazing mod here is a back story i made quickly one question is it possible to make more groups other then raider, slave ect to use with a new race since if so is it okay if i do. It is amazing never the less keep it up.

<BackstoryDef>
    <defName>TheLostOne</defName>
    <title>Lost One</title>
    <titleShort>Lost One</titleShort>
    <baseDescription>NAME grew up in the void the world between worlds, it changed him and when he emerged he was human but something else lingered within.</baseDescription>
    <bodytypeMale>Thin</bodytypeMale>
    <bodyTypeFemale>Thin</bodyTypeFemale>
    <slot>Childhood</slot>
    <workDisables>
      <li>Caring</li>
  <li>Social</li>
    </workDisables>
    <skillGains>
      <li>
        <defName>Melee</defName>
        <amount>5</amount>
      </li>
      <li>
        <defName>Crafting</defName>
        <amount>2</amount>
      </li>
      <li>
        <defName>Growing</defName>
        <amount>-2</amount>
      </li>
    </skillGains>
    <spawnCategories>
      <li>Civil</li>
      <li>Raider</li>
      <li>Slave</li>
    </spawnCategories>
  </BackstoryDef>

RemingtonRyder

Hooray! I've long despaired that the boys get all the good backstories.

mipen

Quote from: PineyCreek on March 26, 2015, 02:53:59 PM
Could you post an example? I'm not really getting how to format it.
I've updated the mod, and now included is a template. Open the Templates.zip file in the Defs folder and extract the BackstoryDefTemplate.xml file to the BackstoryDefs folder, then open it and follow the hints.

Quote from: Dragoon on March 26, 2015, 09:19:51 PM
YAY I've always wanted to make my own backstory (always coming with names in my head so ) ;D
edit: Hey can you add what work disables actually do ? I know that hauling and research are pretty obvious but things like caring and scary or manual skilled or manual dumb aren't the most obvious.
I've just updated the mod, and it now comes with some templates. Inside the template, I have detailed exactly how the workDisables work and explained what they do