[A12] BackstoriesCore Update 10

Started by mipen, March 26, 2015, 05:58:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

isistoy

Quote from: Devon_v on June 20, 2015, 02:18:07 PM
They're listed in the template files and the corebackstories.def.

HE, HECAP, HIS, HISCAP, AND NAME.
Woops! I went a bit too quick there. Merci, Devon_v!
<Stay on the scene like a State machine>

mipen

Quote from: isistoy on June 20, 2015, 04:52:37 AM
ok,

this is now basically in for K9:

A few questions, if it's not abusing of your time:

• can backstory skills also come from some that I define myself in the mod?
  • in a more general sense about skills, will new ones defined in a mod not also automatically apply to vanilla pawns? Can we constrain custom skills to custom pawns?

I appreciate your help, by the way :)
I believe mod skills can be used in the backstory defs, there shouldn't be any problems there. However, I have no idea how to make some skills exclusive to some pawns, sorry :(

isistoy

These are useful piece of information. If I have other precise questions on backstory matters, I'll come by and bump them here.
Thanks again

mokonasakura

Well really wanted to use this but it seems its not just an install and its ready mod and I'm not able to understand your instructions. Hope your or someone else can just make this an install and its ready.

nmid

Quote from: mokonasakura on June 23, 2015, 12:08:27 PM
Well really wanted to use this but it seems its not just an install and its ready mod and I'm not able to understand your instructions. Hope your or someone else can just make this an install and its ready.

It is.
Just download the CoreBackstories file. The rest are added backstories.
It's a simple mod installation.

If you want, the rest can be added to the storiesbackdef subfolder.
I like how this game can result in quotes that would be quite unnerving when said in public, out of context. StorymasterQ

isistoy

What has been said and done (i.e. for us):

• download and install the backstory mod as is
  • go back to your mod and then create a backstorydefs subfolder (putting these in your own mod ensures the "install & forget" you want) and go

Devon_v

Quote from: mokonasakura on June 23, 2015, 12:08:27 PM

It's not a mod so much as a framework. On its own it does nothing, but it allows modded backstories to be added to the game. The issue is that thus far no one has done much with it. There are a few included packs which add a handful of new backstories, and the Project K9 mod is working with it. I'm also (slowly) working on a Firefly pack which was requested.

nmid

Quote from: Devon_v on June 23, 2015, 04:52:40 PMI'm also (slowly) working on a Firefly pack which was requested.

/drooool

;D
I like how this game can result in quotes that would be quite unnerving when said in public, out of context. StorymasterQ

LanMc

I absolutely love this mod!!!  I am having a blast making up both childhood and adulthood stories and then seeing them in the game! 

Thanks bunches!!!
Hi, my name is Lan and I am a Rimworld addict...

Devon_v

nmid

Quote from: Devon_v on June 24, 2015, 08:27:58 PM
Quote from: nmid on June 23, 2015, 05:15:29 PM

/drooool

;D

Psychic Drone + River = colony over, just so you know. ;P

haha, hopefully in A13, we'll have interpersonal relations enabled  ::)
Simon will then be able to calm her down :)

Xale

Hey All

Sorry Stupid Question really, how do i install this mod exactly?

Thanks

mokonasakura

Quote from: Xale on June 25, 2015, 03:59:51 AM
Hey All

Sorry Stupid Question really, how do i install this mod exactly?

Thanks
I finally figured it out. So ill try and give you a step by step expectation. After downloading the mod from github open your rimworld folder and put the folder called backstoriescore-8 into the mod folder. Now in the backstoriescore-8 folder there is a folder called def open it and create a folder called BackstoryDef. It is in this folder that you will do everything from now on. If you want to use other peoples character creations then download Backstories by Andouce or Backstories by Igabod that you can see on page one and put the XML document into the BackstoryDef folder you created. If you want to create you own characters then extract Templates.rar file that you can find in backstoriescore-8 folder and then move the XML file into the BackstoryDef file you created. Open the XML file with notepad or any other program like it, most instructions should be given there however its a good idea to install other peoples creations just to get a visual of what you need to do. They can also be opened with notepad. Take note your computer will probably not try to open it with notepad so you will need to right click the file and click open with. Once you are finally happy go in game and click on the mods area to install it, then restart the game.

StorymasterQ

Quote from: mokonasakura on June 25, 2015, 05:13:05 AM
...Once you are finally happy...

Well, that's a never ending quest. Wait, do you mean with the backstories or with life in general? Because if it's the latter then I don't think I'll be going back in the game for a long time :D
I like how this game can result in quotes that would be quite unnerving when said in public, out of context. - Myself

The dubious quotes list is now public. See it here

mokonasakura

This seems to be the best place to put this, here is some of the backstories I made using this mod. Most of them are just for fun and will break game immersion so if you care about that don't install or look them over and remove what you don't want. This is my first time using drop box so I'm just going to post the link it gave me. Let me know if there is balance issues and such.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/pxxa1xpk0wkm2ra/Mokonabackstory.zip?dl=0