Individual Pawn Missions / Bucketlist

Started by thedee05, March 26, 2015, 02:28:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thedee05

Add mission/objectives/bucket list to each pawn. Individual character stats would show what it is they want to do in the new world. Joy could be part of it. Completing a bucket list item would make them happy like playing games do. Since it would be a one time item on the list it could be worth more.
Example: Hunt, find gold, meet a pirate, punch a muffalo, eat snake, travel 26.2 miles, stay awake for 3 days, meet a tribesman, plant a garden and many more. The could be tiered too. When a pawn plants a garden(10 plants) the next level might say plant a farm(100 plants). 
Pawn characteristics could effect where or not they do everything they want. A lazy pawn might never travel 26.2 miles or stay awake for 3 days.
This could also be treated like side stories that might improve their moods for a short period of time and create an art story.

hector212121

Perhaps they'd be tiered, and each tier would be a PERMANENT +1 happy?
If each person gets 3 goals, up to 5 tiers, except people with a certain trait who'd get 5 goals...

Mckee

I really like this idea - add a tab when viewing colonists that lists their goals and achievements.

The best way to generate goals, to my mind, would be for appropriate traits to have a table of possible goals, the game then randomly selects from some of those tables to pick set goals with a generic goal table that's common to all characters, so that traitless characters don't miss out.

Everyone one has some ambitions in life, even if they're relatively mundane. If it provides a bonus to mood when pawns are working towards a goal (Example - a pawn whose goal is to plant X number of plants gets a small bonus whenever they're planting) and a bigger, longer lasting bonus upon completion, it encourages us to invest more in our pawns (narratively and mechanically) and it gives players another challenge. Goal completion could also buff mental thresholds, to represent greater self confidence on the pawns part.

Goals could also add a reason to care about individual 'possessions' - peoples rooms and clothes, the food they eat, the fun activities. For instance, a goal could be to have a bedroom with a certain beauty score - the pawn would have to sleep in that room for an extended period of time (so you can't cycle pawns through your one nice bedroom easily). Eating a certain quality of meal, or specific ingredients for a period of time could also be a goal.

Goals could either be personal ambitions, or could be colony based - have X wealth, have X production building, make X number of items collectively.

I would love to see a feature like this.

ja7833

Quote from: thedee on March 26, 2015, 02:28:15 PM
Add...objectives...to each pawn...  Joy could be part of it.
26.2 miles

great idea; the half and then full-marathons would be a nice tiered one to implement with a "runner" trait
"Someone who is making anywhere from $300,000 to $750,000, that's middle class."  - Frederick Heineman

Joshuasca

Quote from: thedee on March 26, 2015, 02:28:15 PM
Add mission/objectives/bucket list to each pawn. Individual character stats would show what it is they want to do in the new world. Joy could be part of it. Completing a bucket list item would make them happy like playing games do. Since it would be a one time item on the list it could be worth more.

It seems alot like the mechanic used in sims 3.  I like it.  Having random little goals that go on and on really helps a game have longevity.  After getting to the rimworld endgame if you truly loved your little slice of the rim you could just go on playing it and still have something to do, some mountain to climb some goal to achieve.  very nice.

BetaSpectre

+1 But for most colonists I think such a goal would be to leave the planet.
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░─╤▌██ |
░░░░░░░░─╤▂▃▃▄▄▄███████▄▃|
▂█▃▃▅▅███/█████\█[<BSS>█\███▅▅▅▃▂
◥████████████████████████████████◤
                           TO WAR WE GO

deslona

I LIKE this idea. But not everyone would want to leave (captured tribals who don't even know what a space-a-sheep is) or pirates.

Johnny Masters

Yep, thought about Sims when i read this, which doesn't meant its bad, i actually like it.

Besides actions, having some kind of infra-structure could provide some constant bonuses as long as they stand. Let's say, someone with a medic background could benefit from a constant +x mood bonus as long as you have a med-bay or a med-bay zone constructed. A soldier would be happy if you have some kind of training grounds or some specific weapons.
ex: Medic (+1 from a room with a med bed. + 3 from a room with a med bed and station enhancers. +5 from a room with a med bed, enhancers and at least xx medpacks in storage)

Conversely, picking on what beta said, some people might get upset that they are settling instead of trying to leave the planet, so taking too long to go in that direction (researching ship parts, building ship parts, etc) could bring them down a little.

quxzcover

personally on my world that would be excruciatingly hard considering ive maxed out around 60 population. going through every one just trying to reach there clothing requirements and giving them weapons require quite a bit of micro management. for me these bucket list items would just make the game harder to play and more tedious.

sorry f i come across dissing the idea. that's not what im trying to do. im simply elaborating on the fact that some people may like to make small manageable colony's but others like me always aspire to grow bigger and bigger to find the limits of the system and to find how big your colony can grow before the game mechanics impede you to much to keep on going. a big one of those problems are food. but that's not the point and off topic. i hope people can relate and i hope my criticism was constructive.

Darth Fool

Quote from: quxzcover on March 28, 2015, 12:58:56 AM
personally on my world that would be excruciatingly hard considering ive maxed out around 60 population. going through every one just trying to reach there clothing requirements and giving them weapons require quite a bit of micro management. for me these bucket list items would just make the game harder to play and more tedious.

sorry f i come across dissing the idea. that's not what im trying to do. im simply elaborating on the fact that some people may like to make small manageable colony's but others like me always aspire to grow bigger and bigger to find the limits of the system and to find how big your colony can grow before the game mechanics impede you to much to keep on going. a big one of those problems are food. but that's not the point and off topic. i hope people can relate and i hope my criticism was constructive.

It seems like this should not be a problem as long as bucket-list items are not a requirement to maintain happiness.  If completing a BLI gives a small permanent bonus (say +1 mood per BLI) than this would generally not be a necessary thing compared to providing fun in other forms or making the colony more beautiful for the general popuace.  People playing with small colonies might try to accomplish them, while larger colonies would likely just have them accomplished by almost random chance.  Unless you have that one guy who is never happy, in which case you could try to micro his BL for a while.

Overall, I think it would be a nice touch.

Mckee

Yeah, I don't think your average BLI (nice, acronyms - sounds professional) should have any negative modifiers. And I think a good number of them should be commonly achieved, or at least mundane enough that there is a good chance that the natural progression of a colony fulfils some of them.

Sure, some people are ambitious or adrenaline junkies that want to achieve crazy things - most people have realistic aspirations, especially in a situation like Rimworld. The odd 'extreme' or unusual BLI would be nice - gives a bit of interesting gameplay, adds character to your pawns, but most BLIs should be things that tick away in the background - you can micro them if you wish, and are rewarded for doing so, but you can normally safely ignore them and check on them periodically.

quxzcover

If they balanced it properly then this would be great. but problem is to balence it it has to have at least a bit of downfall, perhaps for not completing them before they die others would get sad. but to have lots of people have a small buff to there hapiness would be to your advantage. especially for those few violent or over smart people.

kingtyris

Good idea. Maybe if X amount of ticks go by and the pawn doesn't clear enough items from their bucketlist to ascend a tier, they can get a 'Haven't accomplished much' constant mood debuff until they get some more accomplishments. Could be a good replacement for 'High expectations' that has the same affect but is able to actually be cured.

thedee05

Just imagine some of the art that would come out of this.

thedee05

After playing the current build with joy and timetables perhaps this could be a feature in the timetable "Pursuit of Bucket-list" or something like that. Some things would take a lot of time so you would be require to lot enough time to complete things on the list. Or it could just be part of the joy timetable and still require the adjustments. Running a marathon would take hours and if they one have two hours for joy they would never fulfill that item.