[A11b] Superior Crafting: Kobayashi Maru! v0712

Started by Abrexus, March 26, 2015, 04:34:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AllenWL

Quote from: Abrexus on March 31, 2015, 09:25:32 AM
Quote from: AllenWL on March 31, 2015, 07:40:43 AM
On another note, I researched security one, and was surprised to see that it also unlocked the improvised steel turret-and that it needed 60 steel bars and 80 steel ore(or was it the other way around?) to make. Interesting.
So I was wondering, would it be possible to make all buildings and such need steel bars rather than ore, and have the starting resources be bars instead of ore?

That almost appears as if you may be having a mod conflict of some sort.  The only turret that is unlocking with security I is the manned turret which is set to cost 250 steel bars.  I double checked starting a new game and I only see that one unlocking.
I found out the problem. It's the Combat Realism Mod. During a fight, I realized that the Combat Realism mod wasn't working when put behind your mod, so I put it in front(Ebd Mod order is very useful) and that makes the improvised turret appear in the security tab. I researched security right after re-ordering my mods, so I thought it was the research that made it appear. Oops, my bad.

On another note, would you consider re-naming steel/plasteel ore to steel/plasteel slag or something among the lines? The compact steel/plasteel says 'ruins of a ancient structure rich in steel/plasteel', but drops... ores... Also, using ores when building is weird. Just my two cents.

DFT95

Now that I've loaded the mod, the game is perpetually frozen. Is it just taking an eternity to load or what?

Abrexus

New update to version 2g!
* New Steam Generator unlocked at Power I that uses wood logs or ethanol fuel to generate power
* Can now brew ethanol fuel at the brewery to power your generator

Also, feel free to join me as I watch my good friend Krazy_Tony_13 stream Rimworld with Superior Crafting on his twitch channel.
Krazy_Tony_13 on TwitchTv

AllenWL

Ugh, so, much, crafting......

My pawns are working their butts off making planks, metal bars, sand, bricks, glass, jerky, and more, then mining, then actually building a place to sleep in...

And I can't generate nearly enough power thanks to the mountains preventing me from placing wind turbines, so I need to research more things, but I need more stuff to...

Well, basically, my game so far has been crafting, crafting, building a few things, crafting, crafting, beating off raiders(I got a charge rifle off a dead raider two moths into the game, on the second raid. The heck? Well, not complaining, makes taking care of those pesky raider easier) then crafting again.

I seriously need more pawns to craft, but I don't have the supplies to feed them, so I need to build better stuff, so I need to craft more stuff, so I need more pawns.

I like it, but it feels slightly too grindy.

Baarogue

Quote from: AllenWL on April 01, 2015, 12:45:44 AM
Ugh, so, much, crafting......

My pawns are working their butts off making planks, metal bars, sand, bricks, glass, jerky, and more, then mining, then actually building a place to sleep in...

And I can't generate nearly enough power thanks to the mountains preventing me from placing wind turbines, so I need to research more things, but I need more stuff to...

Well, basically, my game so far has been crafting, crafting, building a few things, crafting, crafting, beating off raiders(I got a charge rifle off a dead raider two moths into the game, on the second raid. The heck? Well, not complaining, makes taking care of those pesky raider easier) then crafting again.

I seriously need more pawns to craft, but I don't have the supplies to feed them, so I need to build better stuff, so I need to craft more stuff, so I need more pawns.

I like it, but it feels slightly too grindy.

Perhaps at the moment it's a little too micro? It seems to me that, in vanilla, Tynan wishes to be more macro and not so fiddly about the little parts of constructed things - instead focusing on what the primary resource is when building/crafting. So, just wood to make walls instead of wood and nails and tools and the other resources you'd really need to make a dwelling. So I'm sort of using that as a baseline when I play with mods.

I know the aim with this mod is to add a bit more complexity to the equation, but if you're open to the idea of tuning the resource requirements a bit, Abraxus, I would be happy to share my impressions. Not that I'm anyone special, mind. But I do so love taking notes and even sometimes making charts. :)

Abrexus

Quote from: Baarogue on April 01, 2015, 01:24:11 AM
Perhaps at the moment it's a little too micro? It seems to me that, in vanilla, Tynan wishes to be more macro and not so fiddly about the little parts of constructed things - instead focusing on what the primary resource is when building/crafting. So, just wood to make walls instead of wood and nails and tools and the other resources you'd really need to make a dwelling. So I'm sort of using that as a baseline when I play with mods.

I know the aim with this mod is to add a bit more complexity to the equation, but if you're open to the idea of tuning the resource requirements a bit, Abraxus, I would be happy to share my impressions. Not that I'm anyone special, mind. But I do so love taking notes and even sometimes making charts. :)

Well, I said in my original post, and I will restate  - this mod may not be for everyone.  The whole point of the mod is to add a bit of complexity to the research and crafting aspect of the game, as well as extend the time it takes for you to grow your colony.  If I changed or removed the production chain, it would not really be the same mod I set out to make in the first place.

That said, I would very much enjoy conversation about balancing the build times/resource cost of items.  Included with the mod is an excel spreadsheet I use to help me with the balance aspect, but again I am very open to discussing changes on that.  I encourage you to take a look at it, and provide feedback.  Also, anyone who would like to help test, and/or share ideas, please PM me and I will be happy to provide you with the info to access my teamspeak server.  I prefer real-time conversation, as I find it much more productive than PMs or emails.

*EDIT*
I made some changes to the crafting times for both the hand-crafted and powered recipes.  This seems to have made things feel alot less grindy.  I'm going to do a bit more testing, but hope to have the updated build available later today after work.

Fansibubbles

Been really enjoying this mod so far. I think the production chain feels pretty good, it isn't too finicky and encourages you to not go hog wild with building because it'll take forever to gather the resources and craft the materials. You got to be measured I've even set up switches in my base to turn power on and off to conserve it and avoid having to splurge on more power generators.

The game just feels like you have to be a lot more active with managing Bills and what jobs people are doing. Sometimes you have to sacrifice a little progress in one area for more progress in another, which makes it all more stressful but also more challenging and I really like that.

Daryoon

I am currently having problems trying to build Plasteel Bars. Guessing it should be the smelter but I only have the option for Steel bars? Maybe its in another crafting bench, but I have checked most of them I can find and no luck so far. Most of my researches are up to level 3 now and trying to build a smithing table but don't have plasteel bars just regular plasteel.

drysider

This mod seems really interesting but sounds like you're basically screwed if you don't start in an area with a specific resource you need. I went to play the mod and spawned on a map with no limestone, and was totally unable to even make steel bars since I couldn't build it without limestone.

Perhaps implement the Stuff system into the mod?

Abrexus

Quote from: drysider on April 01, 2015, 09:49:33 AM
This mod seems really interesting but sounds like you're basically screwed if you don't start in an area with a specific resource you need. I went to play the mod and spawned on a map with no limestone, and was totally unable to even make steel bars since I couldn't build it without limestone.

Perhaps implement the Stuff system into the mod?

- FAQ -
Question:  I want to build a furnace, but it wants to make it out of slate blocks and I don't have any and can't make any.
Answer:  If you click on the icon in the build menu, you can select what types of blocks you can build it from.  Sometimes the default selection isn't a type of block you may already have. - note- you must already have blocks crafted and in your stockpile to be able to change the default build selection.

Abrexus

Quote from: Daryoon on April 01, 2015, 09:26:27 AM
I am currently having problems trying to build Plasteel Bars. Guessing it should be the smelter but I only have the option for Steel bars? Maybe its in another crafting bench, but I have checked most of them I can find and no luck so far. Most of my researches are up to level 3 now and trying to build a smithing table but don't have plasteel bars just regular plasteel.

Plasteel Bars are made at the electric smelter - the basic non powered furnace is not hot enough to smelt plasteel.

Abrexus

Quote from: Canute on April 01, 2015, 07:43:03 AM
- No use for gold ? I got 200 gold on sthe stockpile, so i should get the build option for it. Not for walls,doors or any other thing.
Only i can select it to made sculpture's.

I am still reworking the recipe work times and resource costs.  I agree gold should be more useful, but one problem you run into with gold (and silver) is the weight value of them isn't the same as standard resources, so balance is tricky.  Expect to see it be more useful in the next update this evening EST.

- Sabre Blast shield, just Steel bars + Basic, missing 5-15 electronic and/plasteel bar.
- Blast shield, i notice the shield keep the shield charge when it disconnect from the powergrid or turned off. i think it should loose it charges without energy.
And i think 200 are a big less for that big shield. I would increase to 500. 1 Shield for 1 energy it use. 1 centipede with charge blaster just would let it collapse after the 1.salvo.

Great suggestions, I will look into changing that.

- furniture, need some beauty overhaul. Hyperweave give the same beauty like cloth. Wood plank stool (15) give more beauty then a cloth chair (3) or a plasteel chair (4).
Maybe create a new textile material, brokat +1 cloth + syn + hyper for a high beauty textile.
I didn't change any of the default stat values of any of the cloth from vanilla.  I will go through them as well to try and provide a better balance.

- missing "need hopper" for steam maschine generator.
Are you asking there be a popup warning telling you to place a hopper?  I can certainly do that if you think it would help.

- Artifical bone's. I got the bill "do until you have 30", on the stockpile next to the workbench are 48 bones, but the bill is still active. Tryed to kill and redo the bill but still same.

It sounds like the bones may not be placed on a stockpile configured for them.  All crafting tables work orders based on the supply it reads from the stockpile.  This is a game feature, not mod related.

thenightgaunt

One thing I think this mod could use (and that's a really short list) is something similar to the mine from the Industrialization mod. While scrap can be converted, it's not hard to run out of steel on a non-hills map. Maybe under the construction tree.

Master Bucketsmith

So how do those holosuites, medic dolls and such work? I wasn't able to put in a bill or interact with them when I tried.
Am I looking over something?

Also, do you think this is compatible with 'Nu Metals'? It changes mining. For instance, instead of getting ready-to-use steel from mining compacted steel, you get iron, which you have to use with wood logs to smelt into steel.
That said, wood logs are used in a lot of recipes... Even with just your mod I had a shortage of wood pretty quickly. I don't particularly like filling up all of my outside area with planted forests. Any ideas?

Delekhan

I think the build costs and times right now are fine. We don't want to make the game too grindy. I might change the cost of making art out of stone (it's ridiculous right now) but that's it.

One thing I would really like to see is the frequency of the Blight reduced - a lot. Right now it happens on average every 20 days, which is incredibly frustrating and not fun at all. At the very least allow us to create some building that protects crops from blight in a specific radius, like the sun lamp.