[A11b] Superior Crafting: Kobayashi Maru! v0712

Started by Abrexus, March 26, 2015, 04:34:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Abrexus

Quote from: Canute on April 26, 2015, 05:38:49 AM
Abrexus,
since you update the mod very often it is hard to track if i got the right/latest version.
Can you add some version number to it ?
The best it would be when you rename the mod folder.

There is a version number.  If you look at the file name it's always the date at the end of the name.  0424 was the latest release.  As for the frequent updates, you're probably right.  I think maybe I should take a step back and start updating weekly or monthly instead.

mathwizi2005

More like stick to an update a day AT MOST. You do tend to release quite often.

Master Bucketsmith

Quote from: Abrexus on April 25, 2015, 08:06:40 AM
- Hidden circuits (why circuits would be above ground and susceptible to rain, I don't know...);
I'm not sure how to do this effectively without having a second layer similar to the way prison architect is designed.
Pretty sure the dude that made a mod with this purpose just changed conduits to not have a beauty debuff and not cause electrical shocks when it rains or something to that effect.

- Extended powerswitches;
I like these, but have to get permission from the mod developer first.
- Conveyor belts;
I like these, but have to get permission from the mod developer first.
Is that a "I'll ask him and see what I can make of it" or a "I'm not going to do it because I need to refer my energy elsewhere"?

- Extended mining (y'know, mining iron/plasteel ore and having to process it first? Much like wood logs vs planks!).
I'm not sure what you're asking for here.  The mod already has you mine steel/plasteel and convert them from ore to bars.
Yeah, my bad. It functions in a similar way in tha you don't instantly have the resources, so it's good. :)

Is that a "I'll ask him and see what I can make of it" or a "I'm not going to do it because I need to refer my energy elsewhere"?In fact, it would also be cool if we could upgrade work items to better qualities, but that might be a lot of coding work.
If I understand your request we have this in a sense by upgrading to the powered crafting tables which give greater output at a reduced crafting time.[/quote]
No, I meant items. Like the mending mod. I'd love to have a balanced solution, being able to repair anything you have crafted or looted from a raid, but it would cost some resources that you could have spend on something else.

Thanks for the other answers, I didn't really have any replies to those so I didn't bother. :)

Abrexus

Quote from: mathwizi2005 on April 26, 2015, 01:42:32 PM

Your post made me realize that pulling back to weekly/monthly updates is exactly the right decision.  I plan to put one out today that addresses a few minor bugs, then after that expect them MUCH less frequent, or someone can take over development if they prefer.

Kasdar

Or you could just visit the topic once a day.

Quote from: Abrexus on April 26, 2015, 02:49:26 PM
Your post made me realize that pulling back to weekly/monthly updates is exactly the right decision.  I plan to put one out today that addresses a few minor bugs, then after that expect them MUCH less frequent, or someone can take over development if they prefer.

Dang trolls need to keep their thoughts to themselves, or this can happen

Muramas

Quote from: Abrexus on April 26, 2015, 02:49:26 PM

Personally I see nothing wrong with it as long as changelog is present and you are not burning yourself out. People always have the option not to update and I rather get the last version right away then wait for a long time for no reason.

Slywyn

As long as you're not feeling rushed or burnt out you can update as often as you want. It's your mod, not our mod, and it's your decision on what you think is best for it.

All we can do is offer feedback.

Personally I don't mind frequent updates because I know that means things are being fixed.

Abrexus

Quote from: Slywyn on April 26, 2015, 04:11:48 PM
As long as you're not feeling rushed or burnt out you can update as often as you want. It's your mod, not our mod, and it's your decision on what you think is best for it.

I appreciate this kind reply.  I actually like to think of it as our mod, mainly because without everyone's moral support, I wouldn't have the tenacity to keep up.  I enjoy making mods, and while I would love to be able to do everything that is asked, it isn't always possible.  I will say though that I understand the complaint about the frequent updates, and part of that is due to my releasing the update without having time to fully playtest it myself.  This results in frequent updates as people point out bugs, and I release updates to address them.

That said, in the future I plan to hold back a week or two before releasing new updates so that I do have time to test everything first.  I am one person and sadly don't have a dedicated team working on this.  Hopefully this plan of action will be more to everyones liking.

Rauminen

Hmm, I think that's exactly the thing about the community you've built up here. We love this mod, and you're not alone.
I'm sure there are people here who like the hot and new features, even if there are a few bugs crawl around in there. While others would prefer it stable so they don't mind to wait a little. So how about marking a certain version stable - after it's been out for a while and people had time to play around with it, give you feedback; but at the same time, have a WIP version for the inpatient daredevils who can help you with the testing? I know when you have a good idea you want to implement it right away, see how it works in action - this would allow for that.

Abrexus

Quote from: Rauminen on April 26, 2015, 04:47:39 PM
Hmm, I think that's exactly the thing about the community you've built up here. We love this mod, and you're not alone.
I'm sure there are people here who like the hot and new features, even if there are a few bugs crawl around in there. While others would prefer it stable so they don't mind to wait a little. So how about marking a certain version stable - after it's been out for a while and people had time to play around with it, give you feedback; but at the same time, have a WIP version for the inpatient daredevils who can help you with the testing? I know when you have a good idea you want to implement it right away, see how it works in action - this would allow for that.

I think that's an exceptional idea!

Abrexus

Update v0426 now available
* Combined Agriculture and Bulk Goods traders
* Reduced the grow time of devilstrand
* Changed the Security IV shields to Jaxxa Shields (Huge thank you for his continued support) - Sabre and CRAM shields are now available

RickyMartini

Quote from: Abrexus on April 26, 2015, 05:04:55 PM
* Changed the Security IV shields to Jaxxa Shields (Huge thank you for his continued support) - Sabre and CRAM shields are now available

When we switch to your update, can we still play current playthroughs?

Valor

Quote from: Skissor on April 26, 2015, 05:30:41 PM
Quote from: Abrexus on April 26, 2015, 05:04:55 PM

When we switch to your update, can we still play current playthroughs?

Will our current Sabre shield works?

Abrexus

Quote from: Skissor on April 26, 2015, 05:30:41 PM
to your update, can we still play current playthroughs?

This *may* be a save breaking update if you are using version 0424 or earlier AND have built the "Sabre Force Shield" - before updating, load your colony and deconstruct this and you can then load the update safely without breaking the save.

Abrexus

Quote from: Valor on April 26, 2015, 05:49:28 PM
Will our current Sabre shield works?

Yes, the def name is the same, so it shouldn't be affected.  If you are using the ED mod and it loads after SC, then it will overwrite the shields in SC.